FJR Owners Forum banner

2021 Yamaha FJR

78K views 212 replies 55 participants last post by  road!dog 
#1 ·
Is 2020 the last year of the FJR? I can’t seem to find any information on this so I thought I would ask.

#2 ·
Is 2020 the last year of the FJR? I can't seem to find any information on this so I thought I would ask.
No one really knows. But one would think when the European model is sold as the "Ultimate Edition" with custom trim that someone is saying, "The End."

#5 ·
2021, it'll be the 'Super Ultimate' edition. LOL If there is, you won't find out about it until January of 2021. Yamaha has a history of announcing a new version of the FJR LAST in her lineup. So, every year, it is speculated as the last because all the other models had already been introduced by the January time period. Heck, your already in the model year by the time it is announced for April sales.

#6 ·
Is 2020 the last year of the FJR? I can't seem to find any information on this so I thought I would ask.
What folks are intimating at is the fact that Yamaha has traditionally been very secretive about the FJR release. It's a question that comes up every autumn and drives members crazy. It's the same every year.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-fjr-central/148187-2020-fjr1300.html

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/15-general-chat/148641-yamaha-fjr-ultimate-edition.html

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/148953-2020-fjr.html

Reactions: blast
#14 · (Edited)
Always a rumor of some kind on this,, when I bought my 14a in April of 15 I had discovered this site and the rumors were swirling that there would be no more or the delay in introducing a new one was due to a major makeover with a 1500cc triple, 6spd rumored replacement (all due to the success of the fz09). I waited & waited wanting to see what they came out with and was so disappointed when the 15 was released after all the hype. After they released the 15, I began my search for a Red 14a as I really liked that red.

Now let me state that there is nothing wrong with the 15’s I just prefer red and when Yamaha came out with the 2007’s it really made me wake up and want one and the red on the 14 which is nearly the same as what was oe on my 80 CBX really set me off. And then the fact that Red is the fastest color was just icing on the cake ������

Have a good day guy’s and be safe out there, finally starting to warm up here in nw Indiana along with severe storms that should wash the salt & sand off the roads, hopefully may be able to get the bikes out before long.

Personally, I think there will be a 2021 fjr, Yamaha has nothing else really in the touring category for the older guy’s that have the money to buy. The ill conceived v-twin thing they came out with was so over weight and slow that somebody should’ve lost their job over that mess, no interest in that at all and if you think the fjr is a slow seller my local dealer can’t give those away, I’d buy a much lighter better powered Harley or probably an Indian before that mess. My.02

#15 ·
Got to agree with @passx on that one. Why Yamaha thinks that big sow is their future is beyond me. Especially if you look at their success with lighter bikes like the FJ-07 & 09 and the Tracer.

I might also add that he is correct about red being the best looking and fastest color.

#18 ·
I don't think Yamaha will ever discontinue the FJR.

The least they could do is just keep it the same with some minor improvements and a slightly different fairing and styling than the Gen III

Have been hearing about Suzuki discontinuing the Hayabusa since so so long they always keep it every year with very minor cosmetic changes.

FJR is the the motorcycle they will never discontinue because even with fewer or declining sales it still is one of the best made super-sport touring machine.

Only other motorcycle they have in this category is Tracer and the other funny looking is the Niken which I am sure they will shutdown !

Reactions: passx
#19 · (Edited)
I have the same opinion as most above,,, generally bike sales are in the toilet, even the Wings and the almighty Harley’s aren’t really selling, kinda points to the fact that the “middle class” incomes are really depleted with no real disposable income today.

Everyone I know including myself have found the Super Tenere to be just “meh”, and the tracer GT in my opinion was a big swing and a miss, just not as “finished” as the fjr, they fell short in my opinion. With all the issues that I’ve had with my fjr I have seriously looked at other bikes but not found any to fill the shoes of my fjr.

I will also admit that I really dislike the top heaviness of the fjr and post covid and my own Vertigo problems I plan on taking ride to check out the ninja 1000 touring if they’ve indeed added cruise to it for a lighter bike but quite frankly I find the bags to be way to small. Then again the VFR series has some appeal, just no cruise. We’ll see !

#24 ·
I have the same opinion as most above,,, generally bike sales are in the toilet, even the Wings and the almighty Harley's aren't really selling, kinda points to the fact that the "middle class" incomes are really depleted with no real disposable income today.

Everyone I know including myself have found the Super Tenere to be just "meh", and the tracer GT in my opinion was a big swing and a miss, just not as "finished" as the fjr, they fell short in my opinion. With all the issues that I've had with my fjr I have seriously looked at other bikes but not found any to fill the shoes of my fjr.

I will also admit that I really dislike the top heaviness of the fjr and post covid and my own Vertigo problems I plan on taking ride to check out the ninja 1000 touring if they've indeed added cruise to it for a lighter bike but quite frankly I find the bags to be way to small. Then again the VFR series has some appeal, just no cruise. We'll see !
I have owned a Ninja 1000 and love the bike. There is a very good chance I will replace my Superduke with another at some point. But it's no replacement for long distance touring.

The 2020 Ninja 1000 does indeed have cruise control. Dealers already have them and I have sat on two of them. They also have a new TFT dash with the Bluetooth connection for what Kawasaki calls "Rideology".

#20 ·
There is a picture of a crashed ‘16 FJR in the for sale section. When you look at the bike without plastics on it is easy to see where Yamaha could save a ton of weight if they weren’t trying to milk a 20 year old design until they kill it. As much as I’m not a fan of BMW the RT seems to get complete updates when needed not just a face lift on the same old design.

#21 ·
Except for better wind protection, I don’t have much id want them to “update”. They’re at opposite ends of the spectrum reliability wise. Having owned both, that’s important to me. It’s be nice for them to try some different stuff though. Small stuff, like BMW’s tilting display so you can shift it if the glare is bad, some of the little stuff. Maybe a new display to lure younger riders. I’ve ridden “TFT” equipped bikes, and while they weren’t any easier to “read”, the dash looked nice.

#23 ·
Yamaha will order the parts necessary for a batch run based on their sales projection, make a one time production run with X number. Normal in this kind of industry, not a problem with a flexible assembly line that produces several models.

Reactions: passx
#27 ·
The bags on the Ninja 1000 are much bigger than you’d expect. A friend had a Ninja and they held a lot of gear. I was both surprised and impressed by the bags capacity. I don’t think heated grips are and option? What’s with the Japanese, one bike lacks cruise another lacks heated grips, chain drive without centerstands? It would cost them pennies more to offer a complete package.

#54 ·
The bags on the Ninja 1000 are much bigger than you'd expect. A friend had a Ninja and they held a lot of gear. I was both surprised and impressed by the bags capacity. I don't think heated grips are and option? What's with the Japanese, one bike lacks cruise another lacks heated grips, chain drive without centerstands? It would cost them pennies more to offer a complete package.
I have a 2019 Versys 1000LT SE and the bags are the same as the Ninja 1K. Size is 28 liters. 2 liters smaller than the my 2014 FJR. Abit of an Odd shape. I have to carry my laptop in the top box because of it.

#30 ·
What you don't want is what they did in EU and that's announce the Special Edition in North America.... that will be the end.
I doubt very much we're gonna see any significant changes... but kudos to Yamaha for sticking in the game this long.

Reactions: blast and kukablack
#31 ·
Don’t really know what they’re going to do but I’d like to see another decade of fjr’s ,,, I’d hope for a an update, maybe bigger more power, better coverage/wind protection, a real seat with maybe a heat option and fix the ridiculously weak/poor subframe. That’s my wish list, is it gonna happen? Nah !

So now I’d be happy with more of the same, the current gen 3.5 is pretty good past the subframe and seat. Change up the colors a bit ( not a flat fan,,, former paint & body guy in another life)

As I said before the Super Tenere isn’t my cup-o-tea and would never get me to spend money, same with the tracer GT , the tft display on it is terrible as is the seat, just not a finished product. The Nikken is something that rode nice but is very expensive, the tft Display is in the same “box”as the tracers but is color, larger display and generally much better done. After riding all of them at demo days this past year I got back on my old fjr and just said awwwwww! Much more comfortable and refined. Yamaha would be foolish to discontinue them but them seem to be ****-bent on keeping the p-poor subframe so intelligence seems in short order there. We’ll know in a year !!!

Reactions: RERJr
#33 ·
Well if we’re dreaming I’d like the easy stuff, wheels, brakes, and frame designed in this century not the last. Every time I look at the front abs sensor and wheel hub I think about how much unsprung weight could be reduced. If the engine is used as as stressed member of the frame it must be the most understressed thing around. And these comments are coming from a guy that really likes the bike!

#34 ·
Now you guy’s are talkin ! How’s about a 1500cc triple with a blower so you can get all the low end torque ! Make you second guess whether you want to twist that throttle or not. I like the idea of using the engine as a stressed member, take a little weight out and try to practice “mass centralization” to get the “CG” down so the thing isn’t so top heavy.

It just amazes me when I ride my 81 Honda cbx back-back with the fjr, both weigh in at 640lbs but the cbx feels so small & light because Honda has always practiced mass centralization and the Cg is low, the thing just feels tiny compared to the fjr, and it has a real steel subframe !

#35 ·
I have no complaints about what Yamaha has done with the FJR, they have made incremental improvements where others have not... Honda ST never changed, Kawi can't seem to get into the mood and add cruise. But,Yamaha is not about to change the FJR much, can't meet Euro5, now it's just about riding it out to the end as all others are abandoning the sport touring platforms. Liter and lower displacements are where it's at, a lot of that driven by Euro5, big displacements just can't get there or it's not worth what it would take..

Reactions: the Ferret
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.