Safety Stickers on gas tank - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Safety Stickers on gas tank

Sorry if this has been asked before - I assume it must have been but I couldn't find it with the search tool.

I've just purchased a 2019 FJR that still has the stupid safety stickers on the tank. Last year I purchased a brand new MT-07 and took the stickers off promptly, and noticed a slight different in colour (ie. fading) of the rest of the tank vs where the stickers were. So if you look at all closely you can make out the squares.

My new FJR has 7,000 KM and a year of use on it, which makes me think the discolouration will be much worse if I remove the stickers. Not to mention removing them on the MT was a royal pain in the ass and took a few weekends of various solvents until I had all the gunk off.

Not real keen to take these stickers off and have the discolouration underneath. Wondering what other people have done about this? Best idea I've got is removing them then placing a fat Yamaha sticker there. Don't love the idea but better than current I suppose... Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 05:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

EZ way to peel stickers off.... hair dryer, cloth dampened well with naptha (lighter fluid, Seafoam, white gas/camp stove fuel) or mineral spirits, the slower acting solvents that dissolve gum residue and won't harm paint. Follow up with isopropanol wipe. Shouldn't take you 15 minutes. But, why not leave them on?
hANNAbONE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
EZ way to peel stickers off.... hair dryer, cloth dampened well with naptha (lighter fluid, Seafoam, white gas/camp stove fuel) or mineral spirits, the slower acting solvents that dissolve gum residue and won't harm paint. Follow up with isopropanol wipe. Shouldn't take you 15 minutes. But, why not leave them on?
Do you not find them quite ugly? A reminder to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle is like a reminder to not breathe while underwater.

Getting them off isn't so much the problem, it's the discolouration I expect to find underneath due to sun exposure...

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 07:38 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Removing it, cleaning with soap and water, and then waxing the tank should leave it barely detectable, or invisible.
mobilemike and hANNAbONE like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 08:48 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

As the boys in the band have stated - do it with the hair dryer and the assorted liquids.

Wax as needed afterward.

hANNAbONE
Versailles, IN
...where hiway 421 & 50 kiss...
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 09:01 PM
Farkle Trainee

Watchout, the Protection of You from Yourself Bureau will come after you! They know what is better for you than you do. I pulled a tag off a mattress once, nearly ruined my life.

'14 FJR1300ES
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 09:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

Terd, don't remove it !!!... you'll void the warranty

+1 on hair dryer and Goof-off or Varsol, the longer you wait the bigger the discoloration will be, or get a tank bag to cover it
Sete Bond likes this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 10:01 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

What colour is the 2019..... graphite? No worries. After you're done, use some Novus #2 to polish up the clearcoat. Your discolouration in the past might have been from using too harsh a solvent??

Edit added... I'm chuckling a wee bit... I have a 21 year old VFR with a badly damaged gas tank, and I found a brand new old stock that's never had fuel in it. It came with the stickers and logos on it and I think that will actually look kool on my 21 year old girl.
Sete Bond likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Problem is it's the matte finish, so I can't wax it.

On the MT - it wasn't the chemicals that did the discolouration (though with how many different ones I tried I wouldn't have been surprised if it was). But it's a very clear rectangle of brighter blue where the stickers were, with very defined edges - thus the rest of the tank must have faded slightly since the stickers were applied. I'll try to add pictures of it tomorrow though I'm not much concerned about that one as it's for sale.

Just want to avoid the same for my FJR. If there's an alternative to waxing the matte finish that won't harm it and might somehow equalize the colour I could try that. Surprised this isn't a bigger/more common topic, guess it's just me that hates those stickers.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 11:32 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I hate those stickers too. Hair dryer and methylhydrate (gas line antifreeze) easily gets rid of them.

If the paint is discoloured consider covering it with a Mag-knight tank topper. While you're in the spending mood buy the Mag-knight tank bra too (they offer a deal if you buy both at the same time). In my opinion the topper is a must if you plan on using a tank bag.

Haynes

2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Honda CBR 1100XX
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX (R.I.P.)
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1963 Honda CB72
1982 Suzuki GS1100e
1985 Yamaha 750 Virago
1973 Kawasaki S2 350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page