Non ES suspension changes - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Non ES suspension changes

Is there any adjustments that can be made to the stock mom ES version of the suspension other than the soft and hard lever positions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw View Post
Is there any adjustments that can be made to the stock mom ES version of the suspension other than the soft and hard lever positions?

2018 version
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Farkle Trainee

On the rear that is the only settings for spring pre load. There is a damping force setting on the rear as well . It is located at the base of the spring. To determine where yours is set at ,you'll need to run the adjuster all the way clockwise until it stops. Then back off to desired setting. 1 click counter clockwise is the maximum damping force. 12 clicks counter clockwise is the standard setting and 20 is the softest rebound setting.

2016 FJR 1300 A. cobalt blue metallic..Delkevic 13" tri ovals,Yamaha comfort seats, Yamaha touring windscreen, Mich PR 4 Gt's.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:34 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Of course preload, rebound, and damping are adjustable in the front.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

Note also that while the spring preload,(up top) is adjustable on both front shocks, the compression and rebound damping is just adjustable on the right side shock on the A models.

2016 FJR 1300 A. cobalt blue metallic..Delkevic 13" tri ovals,Yamaha comfort seats, Yamaha touring windscreen, Mich PR 4 Gt's.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

THanks Fellas. This should at least get me started at looking into it myself. I'm not very mechanical but will try and perform some adjustments this spring.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 10:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

We refer to it as the A model. The Yamaha standard settings of 12 clicks out are pretty lame. As a starting point, set all your damping adjustments to 8 clicks out, and when evaluating your ride, adjust 2 clicks, evaluate, adjust again, eventually getting yourself dialed into 1 click either way... after a few weeks of riding, tweak to your preference again.
Rear shock needs to be tamed down on a Gen3/4, so my guess is you'll end up with the rebound damping on the rear shock at 6 or 7 clicks out.
Front forks have progressive springs and preload will have been set to 5 lines showing... if you weigh anywhere close to 200 lbs., dial in the preload to 1 line showing, try it. Tweak it one way or the other to suit.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Unread Today, 09:54 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Isn't all this "how to" in your owners manual? If you don't have one, it can be viewed and pdf downloaded here -> https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/mo...owners-manuals. I like having the pdf on my phone. Seems I can never remember how to reset the clock twice per year .

You may find this thread -> https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-f...-settings.html and this thread -> https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-f...on-matrix.html helpful.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in