Back pain 2018 FJR - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 06:49 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It used to be popular to tell anyone who had any pain or discomfort from a bad riding position that it was their fault, and then tell them some silly **** about the myrp (master yoda riding position). Good posture is important. But poor ergonomics are poor ergonomics.

I came to my first FJR (2014) from a bike with a nearly perfect riding position. I hoped to be as comfortable on the FJR as I was on the RT. They looked fairly similar on cycle ergo. Alas, the forward lean was not going to work at all. Nor was the cramped knee position.

Helibars and MCL lowering brackets made all the difference. Superb comfort.

100,000 FJR miles later, and I don’t use peg lowering brackets any more. I intentionally waited before ordering heli’s for the 2018. I wanted to see if I still felt the same way about the stock bar position.

I liked everything about the stock position, except that I always had a nagging pain between my shoulder blades. If I rode every day, even a little, the nagging crick never went away. So new helis were in order.

I have a custom Laam seat. I will not do long miles without it. But for every day riding, even mountain rides lasting all day long, I use a Yamaha comfort seat.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 02-21-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 08:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralSharkCat View Post
Good idea but more complicated. I trade in bikes every few years do to millage. 08 FJR1300 -> 13 Concours 14 -> 18 Vstrom -> 18 FJR1300
Now I know what I was missing. From the original post I thought you went directly from an 08 FJR to the 18. Vstrom is a much more upright and open seating position so itís now easy to see why youíre struggling on the FJR. Hope you can sort it out because the FJR is a great bike.
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Now I know what I was missing. From the original post I thought you went directly from an 08 FJR to the 18. Vstrom is a much more upright and open seating position so itís now easy to see why youíre struggling on the FJR. Hope you can sort it out because the FJR is a great bike.

Yes the Vstrom was great but I love the FJR1300. The Vstrom is like a Toyota Camry, does everything well all day all the time but its a Camry.... The FJR stirs my emotions and makes me excited. I park her outside my office and walk by every hour to look at her.

post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 09:04 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
There is one thing I wish Yamaha would try and copy from the Germans, and that is "ridding ergonomics", any bmw I rode was very comfortable without any mods. Also bmw seats are narrow at the front so you don't have your legs spread wide like a cowboy ridding a horse.

FJR's small lean forward is NOT good because there is no wind in the chest to push the body backwards and to release the pressure from your wrists.
Even with the MV Mottorad plate I still experience a small lean forward and it's not completely comfortable spine position (although better then without the plate). Yamaha! - FJR buyers are not exactly 20yr old and pain free kids.
This is the single biggest reason I moved to the RT. Even with the Motorrad riser I still felt I was leaning forward and would get back/should pain. My used 2016 RT came with Illium Works risers and I actually removed them as I have long arms and felt I was leaning backwards. If Yamaha would address the ergos, I would have stayed with the FJR.

2016 BMW R1200rt (current)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES (sold)
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 09:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

According to cycle-ergos, forward lean angle RT=2, ST1300 = 8, FJR=11 degrees with FJR having a little more bent knees and hips. I had the Helibar riser plate with the bars in the middle position and ended up in the most forward position. I've found back issues are helped by actually leaning forward slightly (I'll guess 3-5 degrees), elbows bent slightly and back straight... you have to train yourself to do this...... kinda sorta some of the Master Yoda thing... try it on a long trip while you're cruising along. Bending the elbows a bit from the locked position is quite good if you haven't tried it. Other factors, windshield and your height.
the Ferret, 2GENAE and kukablack like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 10:58 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Sorry to hear about your back pain issue.

I haven't yet tried an aftermarket seat; but I do have the comfort seat and swap those out for longer rides.

Owned my 2009 now for about 6 months or so and it does come to mind that I catch myself straightening my back out during rides.
For some reason my mind recognizes my posture and I adjust often.
My only issue I've experienced so far is my knees are tight when I get off after more than an hour.

I have clutch knee from my job after 31 years so that is something caused prior to the FJR.

Any pain is an issue.
Getting older ain't makin' it any easier.

Hope the best for you going forward!
2GENAE likes this.

2009 FJR1300A BLACK
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 04:30 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Cycleergo made me (incorrectly) conclude that the seating position on an fjr wasn’t that different from an RT. Oy vey, they are very different, and no seating position will make them similar. That takes hardware.

Like ray points out above, not riding with locked elbows helps. For full on distance rides, of course I ride all the way back part of the way, but if I stay that way, it makes me stiff. Riding with bent elbows keeps me relaxed.
hANNAbONE likes this.

IBA# 69560
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 10:05 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
It used to be popular to tell anyone who had any pain or discomfort from a bad riding position that it was their fault, and then tell them some silly **** about the myrp (master yoda riding position). Good posture is important. But poor ergonomics are poor ergonomics.

I came to my first FJR (2014) from a bike with a nearly perfect riding position. I hoped to be as comfortable on the FJR as I was on the RT. They looked fairly similar on cycle ergo. Alas, the forward lean was not going to work at all. Nor was the cramped knee position.

Helibars and MCL lowering brackets made all the difference. Superb comfort.

100,000 FJR miles later, and I donít use peg lowering brackets any more. I intentionally waited before ordering heliís for the 2018. I wanted to see if I still felt the same way about the stock bar position.

I liked everything about the stock position, except that I always had a nagging pain between my shoulder blades. If I rode every day, even a little, the nagging crick never went away. So new helis were in order.

I have a custom Laam seat. I will not do long miles without it. But for every day riding, even mountain rides lasting all day long, I use a Yamaha comfort seat.

Master Yoda is Dick Franz - a close friend of mine.

His technique is one that has saved my low back for 10's of thousands of miles.

I still pull 1000-1100 mile days because of it.
Bill Lumberg and Donk like this.

hANNAbONE
Versailles, IN
...where hiway 421 & 50 kiss...
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 11:55 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcumpian View Post
Feral

I ended up taking a Dremel to the bottom of my seat pan after I had my Laam made and was able to lower it an inch, which really helped quite a bit.

Dan
Ok, you cannot be just throwing that out there - more info please ?

Ive struggled with back pain my whole life, probably due to a gymnastics coach that looked the other way and failed to stop my 12 yr old ass from crashing to the floor, but mostly due to bad posture if i was going to diagnose myself. I find when riding, that i slouch a lot and am always mentally correcting myself to straighten up !
I bought one of these https://www.backaline.com/ and if i slouch when using it, the edges dig into my ribs which wakes up my tired little mind, so it works.

On the hip replacement front, i believe symptoms can indeed be felt elsewhere on the body. A good friend of mine has, by his own admission, the ugliest knees ever installed on a human. He has always had problems with them and had many orthopedist practitioners try to help him, unsuccessfully until one of them took a look at his hip and advised replacement. He did, and all his knee issues have gone away ! He never would have dreamed he had a hip problem.

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 03:52 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

That is very cool. Good riding posture and a bike adjusted for proper ergonomics have allowed me to do over 1,600 miles in a day. Little things can make a huge difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hANNAbONE View Post
Master Yoda is Dick Franz - a close friend of mine.

His technique is one that has saved my low back for 10's of thousands of miles.

I still pull 1000-1100 mile days because of it.
hANNAbONE likes this.

IBA# 69560

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page