FJR Owners Forum banner

In the Market ... Test Ride

3K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  Ditch 
#1 ·
Well.... I have started looking for an FJR. Test rode a 2014 yesterday with 8500 miles. I noticed a vibration in the 3 - 4K RPM range. Felt it in my hands and knees. Sort of a constant buzz. Is this normal? Gave me pause and not sure if I should pursue this bike or move on. Perhaps need to test ride a few others.

Thanks

#2 ·

The bike does have a buzz, but I have owned two of them for a combined 61,000 miles and it never bothers me. I understand your concerns, and only you can decide how much it concerns you. A short ride for me is 150 miles, and I have done four long trips on the FJRs. By long, I mean 3500-4000 miles in eight days, with a number of 600+ days.

The guy I ride with virtually every week, and we have done all of the long rides together, is on his third FJR. That tells you how much the buzz bothers him.

#4 ·
Almost any in-line 4 has a buzz around 4k..... to me the FJR buzz is minor compared to some others.

#5 ·
You're not imagining it, the buzz is there at 4K'ish...typically runs between 4K - 4500. Some folks are more bothered by it than others, and some FJRs are worse than others. I've heard the 3rd and 3.5/4th generations bikes are smoother in that regard (I notice it on my '16, but it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the bike, so I assume it's comparatively mild), but have not ridden a Gen 2 (or 1) so can't say for certain. The '14 you rode is a Gen 3, so it doesn't get much smoother than that, but if it was truly that bothersome perhaps it had a mechanical issue. My suspicion, though, is that it's probably the typical Gen 3 buzz...but only you can say if it's too extreme for you.

#6 ·
One thing I always do when I buy a bike, used or new, is to go over all the engine mount bolts with a torque wrench after I find their specific torque values. While that may or may not be a contributor to unwanted buzz, it's certainly one area that I can rule out as a cause. :smile2:

#7 ·
In the Market ... Test Ride

Well.... I have started looking for an FJR. Test rode a 2014 yesterday with 8500 miles. I noticed a vibration in the 3 - 4K RPM range. Felt it in my hands and knees. Sort of a constant buzz. Is this normal? Gave me pause and not sure if I should pursue this bike or move on. Perhaps need to test ride a few others. Thanks
pwillia,

If you get a handlebar buzz, that's the usual RPM range for it. There are a variety of "fixes" available.

A Throttle Body Synchronization (TBS) is usually the most effective; no parts are needed, just tools. Some riders add lighter or heavier bar end weights (HVMP) to the handlebars, and/or foam handgrips. For my FJR, any slight buzz is a call for one can of injector cleaner, which is all I have ever needed.

Also, I believe that the cast stock handlebars are just too rigid, and transmit unwanted vibrations (buzz) into wrists and hands. There are several ways to adapt conventional 7/8" handlebars to the FJR, if all else fails. You can get spendy with an adapter plate, or a billet fork steering crown, or maybe these simple and inexpensive adapters can do the job:

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1232663-post1.html

I'm somewhat snowed in for now, but I plan to try the simple handlebar adapters one day, just for the variety of hand positions available with regular handlebars. The usual handlebar risers available are too expensive, and 'way too limited in results.

#9 ·
The fjr is the smoothest in-line 4 of many I’ve ever ridden, but it does have a bit of vibration as has been said. It really comes down to how sensitive or insensitive you are to it. it would be a good idea to try a couple more fjr’s as individual bikes can be a bit better or worse on this aspect. If the vibrations aren’t too off putting, then you can’t go wrong with an fjr if the sport touring genre is where you want to be. good luck!

#10 · (Edited)
I also have a “14” and can say the vibration is real in the 3500-4500 range. I rode my buddies 11 fjr before buying mine new, the 11 did vibrate but not near as bad as my 14. I’ve ridden quite a few now and my 14 definitely vibrated the worst of any, as said above the gen 3.5/4’s are much smoother better balanced.

Now on mine, as said above a check of all the fasteners was worth the effort as I found one of my muffler mounts totally loose and retorquing made a very noticeable difference. A careful throttle body sync also helped a bunch. I added bar end weights, several,,, most did nothing, but the one’s that I have (vibranators I think they’re called) worked the best but are no longer available, adding grip puppy foam covers to the grips was a big difference as well.

The thing that made my 14 just about as smooth as any I’ve ridden was yearly tbs’s and quite simply miles, Bill I think it was at D&H cycles in Alabama told me to just pile the miles (10-12k or so) on and it would smooth out,,, he was right !

I rarely notice the vibration at all anymore, it just runs now, plus it is the very fastest color !

#11 ·
There’s a lot of good advice above, but here’s what made the buzz diminish to nothing for me. I bought a Moto Guzzi v11 Sport. Made riding the FJR into electric motor smooth, a magic carpet ride on air. I would imagine similar results could be obtained by first riding an older Sportster or any poorly running Harley, then the FJR.

#12 ·
The FJR vibrates?

OK. seriously. Mine either:
1. Doesn't vibrate much.
2. Is damped by the MCL riser plate (changes frequency, stiffness, or something).
3. Isn't noticeable to me.

I suspect it is a combination of #2 and #3 as my second bike is a GPz750.

#13 ·
Is there a difference in the buzzing on the Gen 3 bikes vs the earlier ones? When I was at the EOM kicking tires I spoke with one fine gent who said his (I believe it was a 14) buzzed bad enough where he had to put on Grip Puppies. When he found out I had just bought my 2016 he said I will probably be wanting them to reduce the vibration in the grips. My 2016 is smooth as silk and with stock grips and never notice anything like that. I came from 18 years on Goldwings and nothing is that smooth so the FJR was definitely a different feeling engine but not one that I felt had an uncomfortable buzz.

#14 ·
When I first bought my 2018, the "buzz" made my hands numb. I added Grip Puppies and did a TBS, but was still having problems. Ultimately, I learned that my riding position was the cause of my numbness because I was putting too much pressure on the grips. I've since relaxed my grip and changed my seating position so my hands gently rest on the grips. No more numbness and I don't ever notice the buzz anymore. Took the Grip Puppies off too as I like the feel of the stock grip.

Dan

#15 ·
Blue ridge, as a Wing rider myself (still have 2 76’s) they are quite different than an fjr, seeming more sluggish to rev compared to the very revy fjr. But I’ll add that the 1st gen wings do buzz some as well around 4K, not as sharp (higher frequency) as the fjr but it’s there. The later 1200’s are smoother and the 6cyl wings are just butter smooth.

On the fjr’s I believe that all the 5spd bike vibration just depends on the individual bike, how well it’s balanced and if things are properly torqued, on the later 6spd gen 3.5 bikesi believe that They are better balanced internally and then you add the 6th gear which drops the rpm enough to get you out of the vib zone at somewhat illegal speeds, just better finished overall, but that’s just my opinion.

As a side note of the 5 different bikes I ride my 81 cbx (in-line 6cyl) is probably the smoothest, followed closely by my 76 LTD (factory hand built, blueprinted & balanced) and then my 76 1000 wing that I bought new, my 77 cb750k7 is without a doubt the buzziest. The fjr is purely fine wine in comparison, really refined feeling.

My opinion is that. If you are unwilling to go through torquing things along with a good tbs then just get the gen 3.5 with the 6spd, they are the epitome of the fjr refinement in my opinion. My .02

#19 ·
I learned to ride on my buddies kawasaki 3cyl 2 strokes, 350 (nice bikes) 500 & 750’s which made my eventual 75 cb750f seem butter smooth and the fjr seem like a work of art.... the Kawasaki 750 h2 even though the fjr would eat it for lunch just to warm up was the scariest sob I’ve ever ridden, always made you feel like you survived an attempt on your life when you got off.

#21 ·
I too as a teen rode many a 2- and 4-stroke in the dirt and sand. When I finally graduated to a "real" street bike, Yamaha's 650 Special II, I thought I was in heaven it was so smooth. This FJR is nothing, buttery smooth.

If you think it's too buzzy, move on to something else. It'll never get any better for you.

#22 ·
All I-4's buzz, so it depends on your level of sensitivity to it. I think my CB 1100 is smoother than my FJR, but then the motor is not as big. There are guys on the CB forum that complain and put on grip puppies on their CB's. Others like myself, think they are creamy smooth. The only place the buzz on the FJR bothered me was the right heel plate. When my heel touched it I could feel the buzz. I put some dense single sided foam on there to dull it, but other than that I have no issue with the buzz, like through the bars, seat or tank where vibes are normally felt. It also depends on what rpm range you ride in, I rarely get into the 4000-4500 rpms range since I ride mostly 45-55 mph back roads generally at speed limit +-5 mph. Even on the expressway I don't think I'm in that rpm range at my normal 70-75 mph. I also ride in T mode and not in S mode, so it revs a little slower. If you are one that likes to rev it up through the tach you will certainly pass thru the vibe zone.

An ST 1300 is smoother but it's not an I-4, weighs more and doesn't have as many amenities as an FJR.

Oh and I had 3 Yamaha 650's, a 73, a 79 and an 81. You want vibes? lol

#25 ·
Mike, I think it's more a matter of the reciprocating assy balance and the balance shaft (if equipped) phase to the rotating Assy.

The example I'll give is that at work we had a designer that road a Suzuki 250single something cruiser and when she bought it I tried to talked her out of it because being a single it had to vibrate heavily right ? She kept saying it did not vibrate and low & behold there was very little and with a lot lower frequency (single) it was nearly non-existant and frankly because of the low frequency was actually less than the fjr , less frequency and a lower amplitude, hard to believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.