In the Market ... Test Ride - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

In the Market ... Test Ride

Well.... I have started looking for an FJR. Test rode a 2014 yesterday with 8500 miles. I noticed a vibration in the 3 - 4K RPM range. Felt it in my hands and knees. Sort of a constant buzz. Is this normal? Gave me pause and not sure if I should pursue this bike or move on. Perhaps need to test ride a few others.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:47 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillia View Post
Well.... I have started looking for an FJR. Test rode a 2014 yesterday with 8500 miles. I noticed a vibration in the 3 - 4K RPM range. Felt it in my hands and knees. Sort of a constant buzz. Is this normal? Gave me pause and not sure if I should pursue this bike or move on. Perhaps need to test ride a few others.

Thanks
The bike does have a buzz, but I have owned two of them for a combined 61,000 miles and it never bothers me. I understand your concerns, and only you can decide how much it concerns you. A short ride for me is 150 miles, and I have done four long trips on the FJRs. By long, I mean 3500-4000 miles in eight days, with a number of 600+ days.

The guy I ride with virtually every week, and we have done all of the long rides together, is on his third FJR. That tells you how much the buzz bothers him.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for the input. Had an R1100 RT before and have done an iron butt, so have some experience with long rides

Others thoughts?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Almost any in-line 4 has a buzz around 4k..... to me the FJR buzz is minor compared to some others.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 12:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

You're not imagining it, the buzz is there at 4K'ish...typically runs between 4K - 4500. Some folks are more bothered by it than others, and some FJRs are worse than others. I've heard the 3rd and 3.5/4th generations bikes are smoother in that regard (I notice it on my '16, but it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the bike, so I assume it's comparatively mild), but have not ridden a Gen 2 (or 1) so can't say for certain. The '14 you rode is a Gen 3, so it doesn't get much smoother than that, but if it was truly that bothersome perhaps it had a mechanical issue. My suspicion, though, is that it's probably the typical Gen 3 buzz...but only you can say if it's too extreme for you.

2016 FJR1300A
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 03:31 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
One thing I always do when I buy a bike, used or new, is to go over all the engine mount bolts with a torque wrench after I find their specific torque values. While that may or may not be a contributor to unwanted buzz, it's certainly one area that I can rule out as a cause.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 03:49 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

In the Market ... Test Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillia View Post
Well.... I have started looking for an FJR. Test rode a 2014 yesterday with 8500 miles. I noticed a vibration in the 3 - 4K RPM range. Felt it in my hands and knees. Sort of a constant buzz. Is this normal? Gave me pause and not sure if I should pursue this bike or move on. Perhaps need to test ride a few others. Thanks
pwillia,

If you get a handlebar buzz, that's the usual RPM range for it. There are a variety of "fixes" available.

A Throttle Body Synchronization (TBS) is usually the most effective; no parts are needed, just tools. Some riders add lighter or heavier bar end weights (HVMP) to the handlebars, and/or foam handgrips. For my FJR, any slight buzz is a call for one can of injector cleaner, which is all I have ever needed.

Also, I believe that the cast stock handlebars are just too rigid, and transmit unwanted vibrations (buzz) into wrists and hands. There are several ways to adapt conventional 7/8" handlebars to the FJR, if all else fails. You can get spendy with an adapter plate, or a billet fork steering crown, or maybe these simple and inexpensive adapters can do the job:

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1232663-post1.html

I'm somewhat snowed in for now, but I plan to try the simple handlebar adapters one day, just for the variety of hand positions available with regular handlebars. The usual handlebar risers available are too expensive, and 'way too limited in results.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:04 PM
Farkle Trainee

Ive got a 14 & have read a lot about people complaining about the "buzz". Idk if Im just lucky to have one that doesn't do it, or it just doesn't bother me. Ive done long days & never had a problem.
2014oldred likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

The fjr is the smoothest in-line 4 of many Iíve ever ridden, but it does have a bit of vibration as has been said. It really comes down to how sensitive or insensitive you are to it. it would be a good idea to try a couple more fjrís as individual bikes can be a bit better or worse on this aspect. If the vibrations arenít too off putting, then you canít go wrong with an fjr if the sport touring genre is where you want to be. good luck!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I also have a “14” and can say the vibration is real in the 3500-4500 range. I rode my buddies 11 fjr before buying mine new, the 11 did vibrate but not near as bad as my 14. I’ve ridden quite a few now and my 14 definitely vibrated the worst of any, as said above the gen 3.5/4’s are much smoother better balanced.

Now on mine, as said above a check of all the fasteners was worth the effort as I found one of my muffler mounts totally loose and retorquing made a very noticeable difference. A careful throttle body sync also helped a bunch. I added bar end weights, several,,, most did nothing, but the one’s that I have (vibranators I think they’re called) worked the best but are no longer available, adding grip puppy foam covers to the grips was a big difference as well.

The thing that made my 14 just about as smooth as any I’ve ridden was yearly tbs’s and quite simply miles, Bill I think it was at D&H cycles in Alabama told me to just pile the miles (10-12k or so) on and it would smooth out,,, he was right !

I rarely notice the vibration at all anymore, it just runs now, plus it is the very fastest color !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 01-16-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page