R-Gaza Saved The Day!! - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

R-Gaza Saved The Day!!

One of the first things I did after purchasing my bike was to put crash bars on and boy am I glad I did!! I am not a big fan of how any of these bars look but thought the R-Gaza looked OK for the money and I wanted the protection. Not too many choices either at the time I bought them.

I sold a Goldwing to buy the FJR. Anyone that has owned a Wing knows how good the tip over protection is. Most Wing owners will tell you its not "If it will tip over, It's when" though the first Wing I had never did, the second a couple times on slow speed turns where I hit the front brake in a tight turn usually on a downhill type of slope. It is a beast of a bike and you never want to pull of the front brake in a slow turn or over she goes. Of course it's the same with any bike but definitely not on a 900 lb one. Its designed so well that the only thing that usually happens is a bent aftermarket foot peg which you can easily straighten out.

When I bought the FJR I cringed knowing that one mistake and your looking at big bucks whether your pant leg gets caught in the kickstand as your leaning it over, you hit the front brake in a turn, or the situation I am about to explain happens.

One of my best riding buddy friends and his wife drove down from VA to visit us for a few days over New Years. He is a Wing rider and has been riding safely his whole life. I have logged thousands of safe miles with him. The forecast was great, I had my Z900 to ride so I told him to bring his gear and he could ride my FJR on a couple of day rides.

I have a very steep driveway, the picture does not really show the grade of it. First day all geared up, the wife's taking pictures and videos of us leaving for our adventure. I asked him if he wanted me to navigate the driveway as you have to handle the clutch and throttle perfectly to get over the asphalt hump at the top. I knew he would say no and I had full confidence that he would make it ok. I go first and the Cardo's are on. Then I hear OH S&%T! Man I dropped your bike!! He's beside himself in agony. My heart sunk and felt sick knowing the damage had to be great and that all of our plans were shot. Plus they were visiting for 4 days and it would be a painful visit now that this happened. Happy New Year I turn around back toward the house to see my beautiful bike on its side on the steep slope of the driveway.

A sickening site and he is profusely apologizing for what had happened. Instead of riding up the driveway and then timing the clutch and throttle to get over the hump he panicked, pulled in the clutch, the bike rolls back and topples over. Our wife's are freaking out worse than we were. I rushed over and to my total surprise nothing and I mean nothing was damaged except the 2 spots on the front and rear bars that not only hit the pavement but slid down the driveway. The long gouge is the rear bag bar. The scrapes are so low you cannot even see them and I later painted them with flat black paint. Never know it happened. Ground down a bit but again not visible. We picked the bike up (not hard at all) and I rode it to the road. We waited until our heart rates returned to normal then took off for the first of 2 fantastic all day rides.

The bars saved my bike, our rides, and their visit. They paid for themselves that day. Are they great looking on the bike? Hardly, but I will always look at them in a different light and be glad I bought them.

Hey, I can't ride today but thought I would share my story as maybe this might help convince anyone on the fence to purchase some protection and maybe make those that have them realize they made a fantastic investment. I can happen to anyone at anytime.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 05:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

Good story! I have T-Rex guards fore and aft. As with all such guards, for as long as the bike remains upright they provide peace of mind, and if ever something goes not quite according to plan, they pay for themselves several times over.

Any chance you could post pix of your guards, so we can see how well they stood up?

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sete Bond View Post
Good story! I have T-Rex guards fore and aft. As with all such guards, for as long as the bike remains upright they provide peace of mind, and if ever something goes not quite according to plan, they pay for themselves several times over.

Any chance you could post pix of your guards, so we can see how well they stood up?
Yes I will do that tomorrow. I painted them and the scrapes/gouges are low so not really visible unless you are looking for them but the driveway did scrape them down some as you can imagine from the photo. Thanks
Bill Lumberg likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 06:44 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Sorry to hear the story, glad it wasn't worse. As I say about crash bars, function over beauty usually wins.
Blueridgerider likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 09:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
@Blueridgerider - Glad to hear the bike and you are fine!

I literally corresponded with the owner of R-Gaza in Moscow asking about protection these bars offer. After all, he is marketing them on eBay. Please contact him and let him know your story.

Pix on a Gen I below.

Glad I have a full set - engine and rear saddlebag bars on my Gen I!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJR1300 R-Gaza Bars.jpg (186.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg FJR1300-Commuter-R-Gaza Bars03.jpg (278.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg FJR1300 Winter Mode 102.jpg (174.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg FJR1300 winter mode.jpg (275.0 KB, 46 views)

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)

Last edited by jtdunc; 01-07-2020 at 10:12 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 10:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdunc View Post

I literally corresponded with the owner of R-Gaza in Moscow asking about protection these bars offer. After all, he is marketing them on eBay. Please contact him and let him know your story.

Pix on a Gen I below.

Nice it worked for you

Current Motorcycles

2014 FJR 1300 A Red

2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 Carburetted
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 07:05 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Pix on a Gen I below.

Thanks for the pics jtdunc! I've been going back & forth about getting crash bars to supplement my TOGs.

The'05 may not be the fastest, but it is the prettiest!
passx and Blueridgerider like this.

"Oh bother," sighed Pooh as he armed the photon torpedoes.

2005 FJR1300A
Chicago
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 07:44 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Excellent idea that they have sliders on them, similar to the ones Garauld makes for the Canyon Cages.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sete Bond View Post

I think they look pretty good given they slid down the pavement that far. A little flat black paint did the trick and since its is pretty much below the site line you can barely notice the damage. Imagine the damage that would have been done without them. Yikes that would have been a nightmare.

FlatTop, jtdunc and Sete Bond like this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:

Pix on a Gen I below.

I am sure they would like to hear how well they did. Do you have anyone in particular I should contact?

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page