New Michelin Road 5 GT - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

New Michelin Road 5 GT

I searched and read through a thread on these tires which started when these were first announced awhile back. If you go back and look at that thread it seems that the Road 5GT's were being used by some even though they were not recommended due to the side wall rating. Many here did not like the tire and many thought highly of the 4GT's. If I am wrong in anyway about what I read I am sure that will be pointed out here in a positive fashion.

The new 5GT's are now designed for the FJR and am wondering if anyone has gone with them and if so, what do you think so far? This seems to be a totally different tire than the one before.

I have a set of the 5GT's on my Kawi Z900 and love them! They have fantastic tread depth and balance between grip and wear. I wanted them when I purchased my FJR this past summer but the dealer said I should go with the 4GT's because of the side wall rating so I did. Worst motorcycle tire I have ever put on any of my bikes. I am primarily a mountain/twisties rider and the center of the tire wore down very quickly and it started looking more like a car tire than a motorcycle tire which affected handling. I always check my tire pressure and usually ran 41/42. The front tire wore as I expected it should.

I plan on mounting a set this week and will give a review after some miles. They have to be better than the 4's. If anyone has tried them I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

https://www.michelin.com/en/press-re...cycle-touring/

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900

Last edited by Blueridgerider; 01-05-2020 at 12:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 01:06 AM
FJR Top Gun

I just ordered another set of PR4GTs. Has been about 3 years since.

Your dealer is a dumbdumb stating, "said I should go with the 4GT's because of the side wall rating". The "sidewall rating" is exactly the same. 58W front, 73W rear. Very easy for you to check online. Everyone selling online lists the rating with the tire size.

"GT" is a tuning preference, not one of safety or load rating.
Barry58 and wheaton like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 08:57 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I prefer 4GT’s over anything else I’ve run. I now have a set of 5GT’s. They are fairly new but are fine so far.

On a separate note, my bike is so sensitive to a worn front that it almost fights me at low and moderate speed. The 4GT’s last longer than any other tire I’ve tried, but they aren’t immune to bad handling when they have a profile from wear.

The bike just handles terribly, falls into turns, and steering is very heavy. I need to start changing my front earlier. It’s just not worth fighting the bike until the tire looks worn out.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 01-06-2020 at 09:04 AM.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 10:20 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I prefer 4GTís over anything else Iíve run. I now have a set of 5GTís. They are fairly new but are fine so far.

On a separate note, my bike is so sensitive to a worn front that it almost fights me at low and moderate speed. The 4GTís last longer than any other tire Iíve tried, but they arenít immune to bad handling when they have a profile from wear.

The bike just handles terribly, falls into turns, and steering is very heavy. I need to start changing my front earlier. Itís just not worth fighting the bike until the tire looks worn out.
Iíve owned most of the ďrealĒ Sport Touring bikes available the past 15 years. I agree with your comments. Iíve now had two FJRs, and they are the worst when the fron tire wears. All bikes handling is effected by worn tires, but the FJR is horrible.

A note on the Michelin 4 GT. I was forced to put one on the back of my Superduke GT (long story). Iíve run Pirelli Angels that came stock on it, and Avon Storms on the bike previously. They both has a tendency to slip a little in very fast curves (I should say very fast curves when ridden very fast...itís what I do). The 4 GT does not. It handles great.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 10:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

Like Bill I love the 4 GTs. Ran them on my ST 1300 and as soon as the stock Bstones wore out I mounted up 4 GTs on the FJR. Now at 9800 miles on the 4 GTs the front is getting thin so in 2 days it goes in for a new set of 4 GTs. I ride all year round except for accumulated snow or ice.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 11:01 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
I prefer 4GTís over anything else Iíve run. I now have a set of 5GTís. They are fairly new but are fine so far.

On a separate note, my bike is so sensitive to a worn front that it almost fights me at low and moderate speed. The 4GTís last longer than any other tire Iíve tried, but they arenít immune to bad handling when they have a profile from wear.

The bike just handles terribly, falls into turns, and steering is very heavy. I need to start changing my front earlier. Itís just not worth fighting the bike until the tire looks worn out.
A friend's 2014 steers like a fat pig the last 25% of the front tire's life but for some reason my 2016 does not. I keep cold tire pressure between 36 and 39. He believes he gets longer tire life with lower pressure. Says he doesn't add until it falls to 32. He does get 10% longer wear than I, but at what price?
Barry58 likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 11:21 AM
Farkle Trainee

I wouldnt say it deteriorates for the last 25%, but certainly for the last 750 to 1000 miles of tread life the front tire feels wonky.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:

Bill, that's interesting about handling. When I test rode the bike I now own I almost did not buy it as it handled so poorly. It had an old set of Pilot 3's on it that looked bad. I took a chance and bought the bike, slapped on the 4GT's and oh my the bike handled perfectly but that has deteriorated fast. The rear wore out quickly and thought that was causing the poor handling as the front still looks good.

Even though the handling was great my bike had the dreaded wobble so I out tapered bearings in along with the new tires. It still had a slight wobble and it was discovered the front tire was not perfectly round and of course defective. Michelin replaced the tire. Given that and your comments, it seems as if the front has more to do with the handling. My bike feels like it did when I bought it, like a tank trying to lean it. I am looking forward to trying the 5GT's as if they are anywhere as good as they are on my other bike I will be happy.
Barry58 likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
I just ordered another set of PR4GTs. Has been about 3 years since.

Your dealer is a dumbdumb stating, "said I should go with the 4GT's because of the side wall rating". The "sidewall rating" is exactly the same. 58W front, 73W rear. Very easy for you to check online. Everyone selling online lists the rating with the tire size.

"GT" is a tuning preference, not one of safety or load rating.
Hmmm Scratching my head here. If your right then why does the Michelin link above tout that the tire is finally rated for the FJR??
Bill Lumberg likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 01:47 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I run 40psi up front. My handling goes to **** before a visible ďprofileĒ appears on the front tire. Since everything else is as it should be, I donít complain and just need to change fronts a little earlier.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page