Emergency Toolkit - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Emergency Toolkit

I'm curious what you all are using for an emergency toolkit and how you were able to pack it onto the bike. I've never done any kind of touring riding before but I know how things have a tendency to break so I'd like to be prepared to correct simple issues on the side of the road. (FWIW I'm pretty mechanical and have a lot of experience with cars but not so much motorcycles.)

I'd like to put together a basic toolkit to leave with the bike at all times, preferably arranged in a way that fits underneath the seats so I don't need to fight with them when not in use. Let me know what you think of my proposed kit and if you have any recommendations. If possible I'll try to keep everything in a bag or two and probably inside a ziplock to keep the moisture at bay. Depends how creative I need to get to make everything fit.

Folding metric allen key set
Reversible screwdriver with #1 and #2 phillips and flat heads
Diagonal cutters and electrical tape
A couple feet of 16 gauge wire and some crimp caps. Not ideal but enough to patch a rubbed through wire with relative ease/reliability.
ZIP TIES!
Smaller adjustable wrench and similarly sized pair of vicegrips. I opt for vicegrips over pliers as they can be used to pinch a leaking brake hose or hard line and are still relatively as useful as pliers, though maybe a bit clunkier.
Tire plug kit. (is an automotive plug kit fine or is there something better for a bike?) I wouldn't plan on riding long term with a plug, more of a get home or to shop depending on how far away I am.
Tire pressure gauge.

I'm fairly confident all of this would fit under the seats. Even if it took keeping things separated into smaller ziplock baggies and shoehorning them in that's fine.

My next concern would be adding air. Obviously this won't fit under the seat but I don't mind storing a compressor in one of the saddlebags. Probably just stuff it in with my rain gear. Are there are good motorcycle specific compressors that work with an SAE plug? Or should I just buy a cheap $20 automotive one and splice an SAE connector onto it? I don't like being reliant on gas stations to top off tires, especially when you just pulled out a nail and plugged a tire on the side of the road.

Let me know what you think. Too much? Not enough? Just right?
kukablack likes this.

2007 Yamaha FJR 1300A - Black Cherry
1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD

"I haven't faced death. I've cheated death. I've tricked my way out of death and patted myself on the back for my ingenuity; I know nothing."

Last edited by BustGutsOG; 12-14-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Farkle Trainee

It looks like a nice tool kit. However, I'd add a cellphone and credit card! Haha Seriously though, I'd stuff a $20 bill in there. It could come in handy.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-64 View Post
It looks like a nice tool kit. However, I'd add a cellphone and credit card! Haha Seriously though, I'd stuff a $20 bill in there. It could come in handy.
That's part of the pre walk out of the house checklist! Phone, wallet, keys, gun. Just the essentials! You are right though, I always try to have cash on me when traveling but a few bucks in the emergency kit couldn't hurt.
ReRose and Dshane31 like this.

1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD

"I haven't faced death. I've cheated death. I've tricked my way out of death and patted myself on the back for my ingenuity; I know nothing."

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 11:50 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I only have the Yamaha "tool kit" that came with the bike and added an air compressor, plug kit, a multi-tool and a battery "jump pack".
rbentnail and 2GENAE like this.

CURRENT BIKES:
2014 FJR1300ES
2013 TW200

PREVIOUS BIKES:
1975 Yamaha RD200
1975 Honda CB500T
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000
1981 Honda CBX
1992 BMW R100GS
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
197? Yamaha RD400
???? Yamaha XT350
1977 Yamaha DT 400
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
2008 Bandit 1250
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugboy View Post
I only have the Yamaha "tool kit" that came with the bike and added an air compressor, plug kit, a multi-tool and a battery "jump pack".
I did not get a factory tool kit when I bought the bike used so I'm starting from scratch. Which compressor do you use?

1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 12:45 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I carry a tool kit with as compact as I can get it... fits in an old canvas Jeep owner's manual pouch in a plastic bag.... fits right in the tail so I don't have to take the front seat off.. Have a small bag in the top box with tire repair kit and small Slime compressor with an SAE plug on it to plug into the Battery Tender harness. I have two short aluminum dirt bike tire spoons with 22 and 24mm hex. in case I have to take a wheel off. A few zip ties of course! And a battery booster pack. Well, I had a set of booster cables under the back seat too.

My compact tools consist of a few 1/4" drive sockets (most common, 8,10,12,17) and a compact ratchet and extension, some wrenches of the same sizes. 1/4" drive hex.. 4,5,6,8 and a pair of compact wire cutters/strippers. A couple of screwdrivers.

Under the seat, the factory tool kit (never used it) a little zip loc with spare fuses and spare windshield screws, fuseblock is also under the seat but a thin cheap voltmeter resides there too. Have a Battery Tender voltmeter also.
In the tank bag, two t-handled hex 4,5... keep handy to remove panel fasteners... can get one of those dirt bike combo things it's like a triangle has 4,5,6 hex and hex sockets, very compact. Wrap electrical and duct tape around a wrench or hex key..

So in 10 years of owning FJR's, I have used the tire repair kit and hex keys on my bike..... the rest of the tools/booster cables have only been used on other people's bikes!!
philharmonic and kukablack like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 05:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I added a few things to the factory tool kit- eye glass screwdriver set, LED flashlishlight, multitool, things like that, pencil-type pressure gauge.

A slime compressor under the seat with sticky string plugs. Get the T handle set rather than the straight ones. I carry Scotch 33+ electrical tape but not for repairs. I use a couple strips across the top of my visor for a sun shade when the big yellow ball is low in the sky.

I carry 3 tools for throttle lock adjustment. It's temperature sensitive but mighty handy with gloves.

Other than that, the AMA membership card (roadside assistance), credit card and phone. I trust my winter maintenance and inspections to last a year. I think if you carry a tool for a specific reason then you didn't do your inspections well enough.

I've had a few flats, the sticky strings work fine. Except that one time when I ran over what looked like a 3/8" diameter trailer hitch pin and broke the bead on a car tire. Got a ride home on a rollback with that one. AMA paid $780 on he spot with a credit card over the phone, me $220, for an 80 mile ride. Only other thing I dealt with was a dying battery and I carried a small lithium power pack for that.

Don't over think it.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 07:36 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
I carry as many tools as I can possibly fit in every nook and cranny. Shite, I donít even know what some of them are for, but you never know, someone like Ray may happen by and offer to help.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 09:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I carry as many tools as I can possibly fit in every nook and cranny. Shite, I donít even know what some of them are for, but you never know, someone like Ray may happen by and offer to help.
I do my best work by holding a flashlight.....
ReRose and Sete Bond like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 03:15 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have a dedicated tool bag.

Have all hex, sockets, adjustable ratchet drive(shortens, elongates and works with 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch and 1/4 inch sockets) needed to change things like oil, oil filter, take off wheels

Zip ties ( 1001 uses)

Bungee cords

manual leg air pump(checked it works on flat tires on FJR) DO NOT carry the cheap 12v small plug in air compressors they might or might not work.

Painkillers (Good for 500 + mile days)

First-Aid kit

Portable jumpstarter (Has flashlight, mobile phone charging ports)

Extra oil filter

Tire repair kit

Electrical tape and some fuses

Fuel siphon hose
Sete Bond likes this.

Current Motorcycles

2014 FJR 1300 A Red

2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 Carburetted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page