Broken seat mount, almost a disaster. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 64Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Unread 11-22-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Broken seat mount, almost a disaster.

I have never put any lubrication on the front bearing of the relay arm {because of the difficulty of getting to that bolt} but I remembered wiggling the relay arm when I installed my Gen. 3 shock and it felt very loose and I was pretty sure the bearings were gone.

So I bought a good used Ebay relay arm and hung my 07 FJR up under my black iron stand.

I ran the ratcheting straps underneath the seat bracket that holds the seat lock release. {pictures below} just like Bryan showed in his Two Wheel Obsession videos.

Not that it's his fault. I should have known better. \

The thin aluminum metal broke off from the subframe and the only thing that saved my bacon was that I had just ratcheted it up and the center stand was still down, so it just dropped back on the center stand, instead of falling over or me being under it and the 650 lbs falling on my head. LOL

I sure as heck don't want to buy and install a whole new subframe, but I am not sure I can reinstall that piece and have it strong enough to hold up with my big fat butt sitting on it. Any ideas, other than slapping my own face for being so stupid. LOL

Oh yeah, when I finally got the dang relay arm out, all the bearings were good. I guess they still needed to be lubricated, but what a price to pay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broke 1.jpg (133.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg broke 2.jpg (186.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg broke 3.jpg (148.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg broke 4.jpg (153.2 KB, 42 views)

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

Last edited by philharmonic; 11-22-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Unread 11-22-2019, 11:14 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well, that sucks! That's going to need re-welding ideally, unless there is some method of bolting reinforcements to the underside. It is a structural member to keep the sub-frame in the proper relationship side to side. I'd go searching for a used subframe, might be cheaper in the long run, and better.

Sorry about your luck, don't beat yourself up too bad, but the questionable practices in those videos......... stop watching them! This could have been a much much worse an accident. You were darned lucky.

This bargoon will be very hard to beat, and there's more........
https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-2007-Yam...kAAOSwrpRdq24V

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Unread 11-22-2019, 11:16 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Phil, i’m Sorry to hear of your troubles. Now if it were me,,,,,,, I would pull the subframe out and take it to a competent “tig” capable welder and have him not only weld the piece back in but also add some gusseting or reinforcements on the bottom side so it doesn’t interfere with the seat pads. Should be a fairly straight-forward repair, probably cost you a little bit but I think you’ll end up with a better/stronger piece that’s cheaper than a new $700 subframe,,,, that’s what i’d do.

Phil: after looking at Rays eBay deal above i’d Agree that it’s a real bargain, but ill add that I still would add some reinforcements at the seat brace and might as well add some at the infamous back tab while you have it out to keep it from flexing as well. This kind of thing fires me up and makes me want to kick someone at Yamaha in the azz for this flimsy subframe, but I am a bit predjudiced.
philharmonic likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 11-22-2019 at 11:27 PM.

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Unread 11-23-2019, 12:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
..... but the questionable practices in those videos......... stop watching them!
Best advice here in a long time.
N4HHE likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Unread 11-23-2019, 01:12 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I didnt like the way they were hanging those bikes looked very unstable. I came up with this solution It doesnt hurt to watch the videos but you have to decide what works and what doesn't and modify.
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-f...ml#post1210687
philharmonic likes this.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Unread 11-23-2019, 01:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Best advice here in a long time.
You are both double banned for life.
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Unread 11-23-2019, 01:17 AM
Farkle Trainee

could you cut up a couple of l brackets for shelving and drill some holes, bolt em up "inside" as a macgiver? maybe a dumb idea and can't really tell if doable from just looking at pics. I will post a pic of a bracket I was thinking about, it is sitting on the seat
PS welding or replacing would be better I know but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake1.jpg (88.8 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by fjroddy; 11-23-2019 at 01:19 AM.
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Unread 11-23-2019, 05:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Wow. Glad you’re alright.
philharmonic, wheaton and 2GENAE like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Unread 11-23-2019, 06:01 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
glad to hear that you didn't need to call 911 from under your bike that day.

When I first saw TWO use that black iron pipe clothes hanger rod I said to myself somebody is going to make one of those and wish they hadn't. Although truth be told I figured the hanger rod was going to be the point of failure and not the bike. And to be totally honest I can't say that I would have strapped to a different place on the bike BEFORE I read this thread. Thanks for alerting us!!

Live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't F*** mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Unread 11-23-2019, 07:31 AM
Farkle Trainee

What is a "relay arm"?

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in