Whatís better than an FJR? - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:28 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustGutsOG View Post
I never use the cancel buttons for cruise even in a car. Not that my bike has cruise. I have always preferred a light tap of the brakes to indicate to the other vehicles on the road that I am about to slow down.
If there's someone behind me close enough to worry I do too. Otherwise, I do what's handy; usually it's a light tap on the clutch lever. But in my cars I strongly prefer the little paddle on the wheel that cancels it. On both my Japanese cars, though, to use the brakes to cancel the cruise I actually have to apply the brakes. I'm weird in that I don't like to touch the brake pedal unless I really need to use the brakes.

Examples would be approaching a lower speed limit or a corner where I need to slow. I just cancel the cruise and slow without using the brakes.

All just different methods to accomplish the same thing.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 07:58 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
That is awesome, Rustedpalm!! I have an 07 bought new and have 103K and going strong. 255K is mind boggling, but I actually hear that more often as I read through a lot of these threads. I'm 62 and keep thinking of a lighter smaller bike but every time I ride mine and look at it, I keep wishing I could have both, ha. Well done and be safe!

cell # 281-744-5011
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 04:22 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I have owned several bikes with Cruise control and none of them has a cancel button. There have been threads on this. There are a variety of preferences on how to cancel it. My preferred method is to give a quick pull on the clutch lever.
My 2003 Gold Wing has an on and off button for cruise control 😉

2005 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja - Past

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 04:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

Im sure on my MT10 there is a way to pause the CCC then you can unpause and the bike will go back to its original CCC speed?

I only use it on the Motorway (freeway) when there are roadworks with speed control cameras.

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 12:45 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I have owned several bikes with Cruise control and none of them has a cancel button. There have been threads on this. There are a variety of preferences on how to cancel it. My preferred method is to give a quick pull on the clutch lever.
Many cars lack cancel. On Subaru a momentary tap on the CC power button cancels without clearing. Sadly that doesn’t work in FJR.

Don’t remember if ML-320 CC would stay on but Tesla CC remains on when car is "started" (a Tesla doesn’t really start/stop the way other cars behave.)

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 01:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
To summarize: the FJR does have a cancel function, which allows you to later return to your previously set speed. You cancel by turning the throttle a little past the closed position. It works the exact same way as if you tap the brakes or the clutch. If you (like me) prefer to cancel CC while using the throttle (to avoid the abrupt change in speed), you'll have to use the clutch option when you cancel. I have never seen a car that doesn't have a cancel function - on some models it's a dedicated button, on others it's built into the CC on/off button - and on the FJR it's built into the throttle. These are all working cancel functions...
bounce and passx like this.
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 01:44 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Sex!
(someone had to get this thread back on track)
bounce, wheaton and passx like this.

~Yeah, I'm a Boomer. You got a problem with that?!~

2007 FJR AE QuickSilver "The Quickest Color"
1999 XL1200 Sportster "Heritage Custom"
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 "the cow-Wee!" (sold)
1973 Yamaha RD350 "SMOKE'N!" (sold)
1970 MGB "the Wondermobile" Wonder if it'll start? Wonder if it'll stop? Wonder if it'll get me home?
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 02:44 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenk View Post
To summarize: the FJR does have a cancel function, which allows you to later return to your previously set speed. You cancel by turning the throttle a little past the closed position. It works the exact same way as if you tap the brakes or the clutch. If you (like me) prefer to cancel CC while using the throttle (to avoid the abrupt change in speed), you'll have to use the clutch option when you cancel. I have never seen a car that doesn't have a cancel function - on some models it's a dedicated button, on others it's built into the CC on/off button - and on the FJR it's built into the throttle. These are all working cancel functions...
Every factory motorcycle CC I have ridden will cancel when throttle is forced closed. Just as it will cancel on most every rider action to override such as clutch or brake. But won't cancel if one adds throttle to go faster.

I like being able to cancel CC without flashing brake light. Tesla, F-150, and Subaru all have better means than FJR. I like to accelerate over CC setting to take control then cancel without brake light. Can't do that forcing FJR throttle shut so usually use a tap on the brake. Below 60 MPH the engine doesn't rev much when clutch is pulled under CC power.
mortenk likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 10:37 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedpalm View Post
Whatís better than an FJR?

TWO FJRís!!
I loved my gen 1 so much that I went out and bought a gen 3!
A 2013 Stone Grey beauty. Which technically IS the fastest color lol

Iím not one who cares for all the modern tech but I do think Yamaha did a decently balanced job on this one with the upgrades.

At first the menu seemed overwhelming but after 10 minutes I got everything set to my liking and itís becoming very intuitive.

Iíve put throttle locks on every bike Iíve ever owned so for me the cruise control is wonderful to have. Although I wish there was a cancel button without pulling the brakes or completely turning it off. Like most cars have. If Iíve missed it someone clue me in.

Anyway, Iím ready to start racking up some miles. This one is young, only 65,000 miles on it. My gen1 is at 255,000+!

I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how.

Any other things to know about the gen3 ?
A FJR is better than a FJR, I think it is one of the best motorcycles manufactured by Yamaha.

Cruise control is nice feature but it not being perfect does not reduce FJR's charm.
passx likes this.

Current Motorcycles

2014 FJR 1300 A Red

2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 Carburetted
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 09:52 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Since "better" is too vague, I would instead say "equally or more fun".

We've already had some comments on "or more" so how about "equally"?

[click to view video]

[click here for another video]

(200 yards. Shot 1&3 in same hole. under 0.5 MOA. 0.25 MOA if you throw out the flier to the right of the diamond.)
passx, N4HHE and 2GENAE like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 12-24-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page