Shifter lever - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Shifter lever

Does anyone else have trouble finding the shift lever with normal sized boots on? For me, the shifter seems tucked under the side cover and is somewhat difficult to find with normal boots on. Is there a fix? Any comments/suggestions will be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 03:28 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I ride with thick sole duty boots and quickly decided to adjust the shift peg to it's high limit (as indicated by MAX and MIN marks embossed on the engine side case).
That made it easier to get my toe under the shift peg. The OE rider pegs also have excessively thick rubber cushiony grips. I even went as far as trimming those rubber cushions down which added another 1/4" of space below the height of the shift peg.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES SOLD
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Absoutely. I adjusted mine at first for my boots then again later when I added peg lower-ers.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The shift linkage is indeed adjustable... loosen the two nuts on the shift linkage (one is a left hand thread), rotate the shaft so the peg moves higher in those two marks Junkjacket mentions... go try it, tweak as necessary.
If you have extra thick boots, and need even more adjustment, remove the pinch bolt on the upper clevis, remove the clevis and rotate it one more tooth on the spline... note the punch mark for the original position.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 09:50 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansjfr View Post
Does anyone else have trouble finding the shift lever with normal sized boots on? For me, the shifter seems tucked under the side cover and is somewhat difficult to find with normal boots on. Is there a fix? Any comments/suggestions will be welcome.

Pull the lever off the spline and move it clockwise 1 tooth. Test. Move again if needed. Save the linkage adjustment for fine tuning it (if needed).

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 12:03 PM
FJR Top Gun

That depends on what you call normal boots. Normal MC boots? Or harley boots that look like work boots? Or just plain work boots?

Also I never really get my boot under the shifter.
More like I flick the shifter with the inside edge of the big toe knuckle. Sometimes its only the seam to the sole of the boot. So we are talking a half inch of boot contact. That is all it takes.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:29 PM
Farkle Trainee

Before I retired I had to wear safety shoes for work so during the week I used to upshift with the side of the shoe. Did that for a lot of years on different bikes. Never thought about adjusting the shifter.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 04:34 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Even with the shifter adjusted to the upper limit mark on the frame, I would still have difficulty allowing the shifter to go low enough to reset. If you adjust it above the upper mark, it will contact the frame and not shift. My solution was to install an R1 shift arm on the transmission side. This shorter arm shortens the throw of the shift lever noticeably, and allowed me to adjust the lever above the upper mark and not contact the frame. Works like a champ.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest, I just wasted!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 04:38 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06fjred View Post
Even with the shifter adjusted to the upper limit mark on the frame, I would still have difficulty allowing the shifter to go low enough to reset. If you adjust it above the upper mark, it will contact the frame and not shift. My solution was to install an R1 shift arm on the transmission side. This shorter arm shortens the throw of the shift lever noticeably, and allowed me to adjust the lever above the upper mark and not contact the frame. Works like a champ.
My problem was the other way- installing peg lower-ers I needed to adjust the shifter way down. This required both shifter rotation on the shaft and linkage adjustment.

Russ
2007A

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 07:56 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Try one of these:

https://www.nippynormans.com/f650gs-...0xr-k1600gtgtl

I bought one because I got new Sidi Adventure boots and they would not work with the stock pedal. This is meant for BMW motorcycles, but it fits right on the stock FJR gear pedal. Works a treat. You might be able to get them in the States if you don't want to import from UK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gear pedal extender.jpg (60.8 KB, 10 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page