I am a GoPro Junkie - Anyone Else? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I am a GoPro Junkie - Anyone Else?

Besides motorcycling I have always had a passion for photography and videography. I enjoy catching the moments, making memories, and also creating something that lives on forever. I have been going on long motorcycle trips with good friends since the 80's and have photographed them all, then videoed when handheld cameras came available. Now we have GoPro's and of course cell phones. Amazing how technology has changed. Everyone takes photo and videos now but its the editing and creating that so few take the time to do. I really enjoy the whole process to create something that I can share with friends and have to relive anytime in the future. I am not talking about hours of mindless video of roads but something that has the best clips from the trips but also places you go etc.

I have owned GoPro's from their beginning. I still have a working Hero 2 and just bought the new Hero 8. Incredible camera. I have a camera mounted on the chin of my FF helmet and take it on every ride. I run continuous power to it and have a 128G card so it is recording on the whole ride like a dash cam. I think it is a great safety tool as you have a record of anything that takes place. So after each day on a trip or daily ride I pull out any video clips I want to keep and delete the rest. Simple and easy. With 4K video you can create fantastic photos too that you can never get otherwise. I enjoy scanning through footage to capture great shots.

So I was wondering if anyone else enjoys this kind of thing, not just putting a cam on your bike, shooting the road going by, and doing nothing with it, but like me, truly enjoy creating something with it. I really think it adds something to every ride or trip. I did make a couple minute short video a few days ago on Moonshiner 28 heading into Highlands, NC. Yes its the road going by but the foliage was spectacular and its one of the best roads you can find in this area so I made this clip. Also here are a couple of photos made with my Hero 5 Black. I would really like to hear or see what others do. I hope you enjoy it if you check it out.

https://vimeo.com/371674524/eb97e0eb93

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900

Last edited by Blueridgerider; 11-09-2019 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Nice work. I'd be interested in more about the editing tools you use. I'm using Adobe currently as I find the go pro software to be terrible. Anything to make the process better as I'd rather ride than edit.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Blueridgerider likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmem View Post
Nice work. I'd be interested in more about the editing tools you use. I'm using Adobe currently as I find the go pro software to be terrible. Anything to make the process better as I'd rather ride than edit.

Thanks I appreciate that. Yeah GoPro's software has always been a disappointment and I never use it. I have used Cyberlink Powerdirector for years and think it has to be one of the best if not the best editing software out there for the money. It is fast and powerful. Certainly the power of your computer has a lot to do with that. I can edit 4K files with ease with it but an older computer struggles with files like that. Amazon is probably the best price which is no surprise.

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/p...res_en_US.html
pcmem likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:46 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks I'll have to check it out.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 07:48 PM
FJR Top Gun

My most famous Garmin ViRB FJR video:

Real time: https://youtu.be/emrbV5hXi44

Slow: https://youtu.be/ZdZxweA29is

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 08:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage

wheaton and Blueridgerider like this.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A

2013 Honda GL1800 Goldwing ABS

2004 Honda ST1300 ABS
Rest In Peace!!!!!!!!

2005 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

2003 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

1992 Honda ST1100

1996 Honda GL1500 Goldwing

1994 Kawasaki Voyager

1983 CB1000 Custom

1972 Kawasaki G4TR
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
My most famous Garmin ViRB FJR video:

Real time: https://youtu.be/emrbV5hXi44

Slow: https://youtu.be/ZdZxweA29is
Man that is famous and wild! I believe I have seen that before. That is a great example of how fast things happen in life and when your riding. It has to send some shivers down your spine when you think how close that was to disaster. I hit a deer in WVA on my Goldwing back before GoPros. I was cruising along at about 45 with my friend riding behind me. Then in a flash it jumped down onto the road in front of me from the embankment along the road. Not even a chance to grab the brakes. I hit him right in the neck area thank goodness as it spun him around hitting my leg and bending my highway pegs. The big Wing wobbled a bunch and my friend was freaking out behind me as we had CBs but the bike stayed upright and was still rideable. I will always remember looking in my side mirror and seeing that deer spinning down the road behind me. $5000 worth of damage. It could have been much worse for sure. I am always looking out for Bambi. I ride the BRP all the time and see them often. Almost worse than a drunk driver as they come out of nowhere. Thanks for sharing that!

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 02:26 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridgerider View Post
Man that is famous and wild! I believe I have seen that before. That is a great example of how fast things happen in life and when your riding. It has to send some shivers down your spine when you think how close that was to disaster.
In the full speed version you can hear me yell.

I don't hear ABS but was pretty sure at the time it was pumping. Suspect Garmin ViRB updates "telemetry" a bit slower than one might desire. But I saw and started braking before the deer is seen in the video.

Without looking this occurred between Christmas and New Year's Day 2018. I wore relatively weak glasses back then. Cataract surgery on left eye in April included lens correction so I no longer wear glasses for vision beyond 5'. Can see most everything on Garmin Zumo 595 and FJR dash but often double vision trying to read.

Quote:
I hit a deer in WVA on my Goldwing back before GoPros. I was cruising along at about 45 with my friend riding behind me. Then in a flash it jumped down onto the road in front of me from the embankment along the road. Not even a chance to grab the brakes. I hit him right in the neck area thank goodness as it spun him around hitting my leg and bending my highway pegs. The big Wing wobbled a bunch and my friend was freaking out behind me as we had CBs but the bike stayed upright and was still rideable. I will always remember looking in my side mirror and seeing that deer spinning down the road behind me. $5000 worth of damage. It could have been much worse for sure. I am always looking out for Bambi. I ride the BRP all the time and see them often. Almost worse than a drunk driver as they come out of nowhere. Thanks for sharing that!
A friend totalled a PC800 hitting a deer, but walked away unscratched. Replaced with GL1800.

In her youth my sister hit 3 deer. My brother bought a then-new Ford Focus and hit a deer just a few weeks later. Model was so new it took some time to get new fender, hood, bumper and grill. So far I have been fortunate. The video was of my closest motorcycle encounter. Had another only a mile from home with the Tesla. That one was a very large deer for the area. TN/AL have relatively small deer no bigger than the one in the video.

Bought land in TN a year ago and have not been on my land and not seen deer or turkey. This is a friend who harvested this bird on my place 15 minutes after the season opened this year.

Me, on my TN place. Look closely you can see the white Garmin ViRB mounted on the FJR dash. I drilled a hole.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
In the full speed version you can hear me yell.

I don't hear ABS but was pretty sure at the time it was pumping. Suspect Garmin ViRB updates "telemetry" a bit slower than one might desire. But I saw and started braking before the deer is seen in the video.

Without looking this occurred between Christmas and New Year's Day 2018. I wore relatively weak glasses back then. Cataract surgery on left eye in April included lens correction so I no longer wear glasses for vision beyond 5'. Can see most everything on Garmin Zumo 595 and FJR dash but often double vision trying to read.

A friend totalled a PC800 hitting a deer, but walked away unscratched. Replaced with GL1800.

In her youth my sister hit 3 deer. My brother bought a then-new Ford Focus and hit a deer just a few weeks later. Model was so new it took some time to get new fender, hood, bumper and grill. So far I have been fortunate. The video was of my closest motorcycle encounter. Had another only a mile from home with the Tesla. That one was a very large deer for the area. TN/AL have relatively small deer no bigger than the one in the video.

Bought land in TN a year ago and have not been on my land and not seen deer or turkey. This is a friend who harvested this bird on my place 15 minutes after the season opened this year.

Me, on my TN place. Look closely you can see the white Garmin ViRB mounted on the FJR dash. I drilled a hole.

Man that is one heck of a bird!! Bet it is great owning land like that. From a motorcycling standpoint you also can ride up and enjoy some of that great riding in E. Tenn. Great idea on the Garmin mount too. Seems like you must run your cam like a dash cam like I do. You never know what your going to catch on it, hopefully good things. Hey nice bike! Love the color haha. We have the same bike. Thanks for sharing the great stories and photos. Really enjoyed it.
N4HHE likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 03:10 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridgerider View Post
Man that is one heck of a bird!! Bet it is great owning land like that. From a motorcycling standpoint you also can ride up and enjoy some of that great riding in E. Tenn. Great idea on the Garmin mount too. Seems like you must run your cam like a dash cam like I do. You never know what your going to catch on it, hopefully good things. Hey nice bike! Love the color haha. We have the same bike. Thanks for sharing the great stories and photos. Really enjoyed it.
Yup. I’m still shocked nearly a year later after buying the land at my good fortune. Been less fortunate trying to build a house to my liking. After 6 months of planning the original crew was 2x the given budget. Fired. Starting over.

Yes, use ViRB largely as a dash cam. Is not smart enough to recycle the memory card so I have to clear it every 6 hours, it before every ride.

Off-road I have Liquid Vision goggles with built in camera. Believe company quit. Great concept and trivially easy to “mount” and point where you are looking. An oldie at Westpoint near my property but thus us my favorite riding video.

https://youtu.be/MHuGP_GBCr0

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in