Paint Comment and Question - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Paint Comment and Question

I recently sold a 2008 Goldwing and bought an 2016 FJR. I just love this bike but the paint is really a disappointment so far. I had 2 Wings and the clear coat paint was practically indestructible. I never noticed any scratches or blemishes after years of ownership. In just the last couple months of owning the FJR I notice it not only scratches easily but also the surface luster can be rubbed off with something as simple as a duffel bag touching the side bags after a long trip. Its not like its rubbed the paint off but its just dull or blemished in areas. The Wing would never have that problem. I now put tape over spots if I think it might come in contact with an item during a ride.

No matter how hard I wax it or with what product nothing help return those areas to a luster. The Cobalt Blue is a stunning color in my opinion and its just a shame I can't prevent this from happening. Anyone have a product or have any recommendations that might help? Thanks.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Duffel bag rubs the paint on a saddlebag after a long trip? Who wudda thunk it? May be a first.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

What you describe hasn't been my experience. Perhaps you got a defective paint job out of the factory that day.

Candy Red
2014 FJR1300A
Tires: Metzeler Roadtec Z6

Previous bikes:
2014 Honda Goldwing Valkyrie
2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Honda Nighthawk 750

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:16 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My 2014 looked brand new after 85000 hard, all weather miles.

My 2018 already shows more wear at around 26,000 miles than the 2014 ever did.

I’m told Yamaha switched paint formulas. I have no idea if that is true.
2GENAE and Blueridgerider like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopheadama View Post
Duffel bag rubs the paint on a saddlebag after a long trip? Who wudda thunk it? May be a first.
Man really?? Do you just troll around looking for some reason to pounce on someones post?? I think I explained this in enough detail that nothing was rubbing the paint off like a bag. I am just talking about areas where the paint does not seem to hold up well. I have a bag like others who tour that was just laying over part of the side bags and it seems to have scuffed it along with that the bike scratches easily compare to other bikes I have had. Geez Dopeheadama. Get a life and don't bother being a dick head.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
My 2014 looked brand new after 85000 hard, all weather miles.

My 2018 already shows more wear at around 26,000 miles than the 2014 ever did.

Iím told Yamaha switched paint formulas. I have no idea if that is true.
Thanks Bill I appreciate that. The paint is just not up to the par compared to other bikes I have owned and I thought I would reach out and ask others their thoughts. Thanks for a positive response as opposed to Dickheadama who probably is a booger eater living in his Mom's basement with nothing better to do than just look for any opening to be an A$$.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:31 PM
Farkle Trainee

Wow. The way I read the original post was that a duffle bag had rubbed on the paint as you made a long trip. Is that not what you meant?

FWIW, my Honda ST1300 and my FJR both showed dull areas where the straps for my duffle bag rubbed on them. There were some complaints with "soft paint" on the '13 FJRs but for my experience with Pop's '07, his '14 and my '15 the paint has been just as good as any other bike, perhaps better. I used to ride with a cousin who had a 2008 GoldWing and his paint did not seem better than our bikes in any way.

I use several different polishes as the mood strikes me. None of them are able to completely remove "dullness" from a rubbed area.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:11 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It seemed to me the Gen3 clearcoat isn't as tough as prior Gens. My root beer '14 shows some dulling where my knees touch the rear end of the side fairing and the side covers where my pants rub... I give it a little buffing with Novus #2 plastic polish once in a while (it has a very fine abrasive compound), then finish with some wax... I know all I'm doing in wearing away the clearcoat a teeny bit each time.... the solution might be to apply a good automotive clearcoat one day.
Blueridgerider likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Wow. The way I read the original post was that a duffle bag had rubbed on the paint as you made a long trip. Is that not what you meant?

FWIW, my Honda ST1300 and my FJR both showed dull areas where the straps for my duffle bag rubbed on them. There were some complaints with "soft paint" on the '13 FJRs but for my experience with Pop's '07, his '14 and my '15 the paint has been just as good as any other bike, perhaps better. I used to ride with a cousin who had a 2008 GoldWing and his paint did not seem better than our bikes in any way.

I use several different polishes as the mood strikes me. None of them are able to completely remove "dullness" from a rubbed area.
Thanks to all the responded positively to my post. Ya know a wise ole man once said, "If you don't have anything good to say, then don't" It is unfortunate in this world that people can hide behind a computer and just be nasty. Sorry for my responses but that one got to me. I should have taken the high road but sometimes you just have to call people like that out.

Anyway here is a photo of the bag on the bike. It is not even sitting right on the top of the side bags but must touch them during the ride as it has dulled spots on top of them. It is not worn down but just dull. The more I look at it I think that the paint on the side backs is not up to the same caliper as the rest of the bike. Softer as was mentioned here. I put my Wing through a lot of touring miles with that bag, sleeping bags, tents etc over the years and I never had any issues. In fact when I sold it I made a video for the buyer who flew in from AZ with his wife and gear to buy it (great story by the way) so I made a very detailed video so there would be no surprises for them. I went over every inch of that bike. The paint on that Wing was almost bullet proof. I think the FJR is the best bike I ever ever owned or ridden so this was not at all a knock on it, just asking as it was something I experienced. Again thanks everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4489.jpg (441.7 KB, 24 views)

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 01:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

@Blueridgerider I made it a point to respond POSITIVELY to avoid any conflict. But I will defend @Mopheadama , he is a nice guy and I am guessing he responded like that because he did what you did. He put a Negative Interpretation on what you posted. What many of us (myself included) often overlook is that the keyboard offers no expression or context, our words are just letters on a screen. We get plenty of folks complaining and trolling about things that are either self induced or imaginary. I am guessing that's what he thought. If I had not read your response before I posted I may have been tempted to post something sarcastic myself!

I use the Honda or Yamaha aerosol spray polish more than anything else. I have recently started using Fast Wax by Presta. I used it on my Truck but that thing is brand new and there is nothing dull on it yet!

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page