FJR to Gold Wing - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

FJR to Gold Wing

I am thinking of getting a Gold Wing DCT to replace my FJR. The top heaviness is getting to me in my old age. I wanted to test the waters of what my 2015 fjr ES is worth. I bought it new and it has 10K miles. Serviced by the book by me. Iíd appreciate helpful feedback. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Selling it yourself you could get $9500, as a trade you might get $7500.

Live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't F*** mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 07:53 AM
Farkle Trainee

I've read on forums for years about the top heaviness of the FJR. I put 44,000 miles on my 2006 FJR and am now at 15,000 on my 2017 (in just ten months). I've never felt like it is top heavy. It's just heavy. To me it feels a lot less top heavy than the two 1600 BMWs I had. I have also had an ST1300 and Concours 14 and it does not feel any more top heavy than they did.

I had two Goldwings. I agree that due to the opposed engine they have a lower center of gravity, but they are still heavier to move around, but do have the benefit of reverse. Good luck with whatever you do.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT

post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 09:58 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
He wanted to know the market value of his FJR, didn't ask for our opinions and bike choices. He has probably already visited his inner self and decided what he wants. My friend and I both owned Yamaha's biggest cruiser they made and we both got different bikes because of the weight and maneuverability, I changed to the FJR and he changed to the Wing, and we are both as happy as a couple of jackasses in clover.

Live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't F*** mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thank you JunkJacket and jjscix for your replyís. Even though I didnít specifically ask for opinions, I welcome others insight as to whether going to the new wing is prudent. The Wing is much heavier than the FJR but like what was said the CG is much lower. I tested one of the new models and it is still a big bike but they have really made it sportier. I could flat foot it and I canít do that with the FJR. I probably should have asked if others have considered the new Wing.
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 10:33 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
LOL! okay, understood.

Truth be told I too was considering the new Wing as my next scoot. But, for that kind of coin I would've rather bought a Mazda Miata.
smokamoto likes this.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I just bought a 2018 Wing and am keeping the FJR. I find the FJR much lighter, which it is, and easier to move around than the Wing purely because of weight. Duh.

I am a tall guy so flat footing on the FJR isn't a problem for me. If you can't flat foot the FJR that is a problem. Like most folks here we have been on motorcycles for many years and when someone asks me what type of bike they should get my answer is always the same. If you can't get both feet flat on the ground when you straddle it, find something else that you can. There are many bikes that stand up tall and they eliminate a lot of people strictly because of their height. Not everyone has long legs that fit a tall bike. Our problem is what to do with the legs once in motion.

Lots of folks buy Harleys and cruiser type bikes simply because they can get their feet on the ground at a stop. That's a wise decision. The new Wing is much easier to handle than a 2017 or earlier Wing so you have that going for you. Much easier to put on the center stand also. The new Wing is pretty peppy although nothing like the FJR. It handles much better than a bike that size should.

If I could only have one bike the FJR would stay but if I couldn't reach the ground comfortably that would be a different story. Sooner or later you will come to that uneven surface, put your feet down and one goes further than the other, and you are picking up a bike.

Don't know if you have this option but I rented a 2019 Wing for what was called a half day, 9am to 5pm. Put about 350 miles on it just to see if I liked it. Now there is one in the shop. I did opt for the manual tranny as I like to shift gears myself. The DCT way outsells the manual by quite a bit it seems so folks like it. The 2020's are about to be out with some changes to programming that supposedly make the DCT smoother at low speeds as well as a few other tweaks here and there.

Tough to say what your FJR is worth is though. Right person comes along they would be happy to pick it up for $9500. There are a lot of FJR's for sale so if the Wing is calling your name right now maybe a trade in could be in order assuming they just don't rape you on the value. Trade ins only require you to pay sales tax on the difference between the two bikes whereas if you sell outright then you pay sales tax on the entire purchase price. I've always been able to sell one for more than enough to make up that sales tax difference but I also do not buy brand new bikes but low mileage used. Bought my 2014 FJR with 2800 miles for half the price of new so they are out there if you look hard enough.

Good luck on your journey to find the right bike!

Last edited by Mopheadama; 10-25-2019 at 11:46 AM.
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:53 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I would definitely consider a new Goldwing. My '12 is perfect for it's built for. Solo all day straighter rides or rides with the wife, it's nearly perfect. Any other rides, the FJR is nearly perfect. I tell people, the Goldwing practically balances itself at stops.
Sete Bond likes this.
post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Mopheadama, I agree with all you said. The flat footing is key to me, not so much alone but when my wife is on back. Getting older like I am
makes it more of an issue. There arenít many used new model gold wings for sale that Iíve seen at a good price. However there is quite a few left overs at reduced prices. I have only ridden the DCT model for about 50 miles. Not really enough, but I did like it. Still not sure if itís the right choice. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by kej1953; 10-25-2019 at 12:14 PM.
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Mt Lemmon I agree. Thanks for replying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page