FJR to Gold Wing - Page 6 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:51 PM
Farkle Trainee

I went from an F6C to the FJR and felt it was a rider-friendly move. If you let the Goldwing get just a little too far to the side you may not be able to stop it going all the way down despite its lower center of gravity.

Personally, I'd take a look at the Kawasaki Ninja 1000. If it fits your needs your pocket book certainly will thank you and at 516 pounds if it does start to go over you may be able to stop it. You won't be able to flat foot it, though.

Take a look at what it looks like with side-cases, a Givi top hard case, and a tank bag.

https://collegestation.craigslist.or...009458823.html

One thing I like about the Ninja is the slight forward body lean. My F6C had no forward lean and my back started hurting me after about 30 minutes.

Candy Red
2014 FJR1300A
Tires: Metzeler Roadtec Z6

Previous bikes:
2014 Honda Goldwing Valkyrie
2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Honda Nighthawk 750

Last edited by postoak; 10-30-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by postoak View Post
I went from an F6C to the FJR and felt it was a rider-friendly move. If you let the Goldwing get just a little too far to the side you may not be able to stop it going all the way down despite its lower center of gravity.

Personally, I'd take a look at the Kawasaki Ninja 1000. If it fits your needs your pocket book certainly will thank you and at 516 pounds if it does start to go over you may be able to stop it. You won't be able to flat foot it, though.

Take a look at what it looks like with side-cases, a Givi top hard case, and a tank bag.

https://collegestation.craigslist.or...009458823.html

One thing I like about the Ninja is the slight forward body lean. My F6C has no forward lean and my back started hurting me after about 30 minutes.
post oak, when you say let the goldwing get just a little too far to the side it may go down are you saying while you’re riding or stopped?
post #53 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

Yeah, I meant when stopped.

Candy Red
2014 FJR1300A

Previous bikes:
2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Honda Nighthawk 750

post #54 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Yeah, I meant when stopped.
Not as bad as the FJR right?
post #55 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 07:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

The F6C is harder to keep from going down at a stop if you let it lean over than the FJR, even with the lower center of gravity.
bounce likes this.

Candy Red
2014 FJR1300A

Previous bikes:
2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Honda Nighthawk 750

Last edited by postoak; 10-30-2019 at 08:12 PM.
post #56 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 08:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kej1953 View Post
I am thinking of getting a Gold Wing DCT to replace my FJR. The top heaviness is getting to me in my old age. I wanted to test the waters of what my 2015 fjr ES is worth. I bought it new and it has 10K miles. Serviced by the book by me. I’d appreciate helpful feedback. Thanks in advance.
Kej, if you do go ahead and buy a DCT wing, keep in mind that the 2020 Wing fixed some issues with the smoother shifting in low gears, fixed some Nav issues, and some other things that the '18 and '19 owners were complaining about.

In my eyes the new DCT Wing is the next best and most logical step up from FJR as we age, the "forward and backward crawl" is a Godsend, the fact that the bike is "always in gear" is a great assurance at the stop where most mishaps happens.

It's nice and entertaining to pick brains of everybody on this forum, but ultimately You should test ride "your future bike", and usually within an hour or so you'll know. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Sete Bond likes this.
post #57 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Kej, if you do go ahead and buy a DCT wing, keep in mind that the 2020 Wing fixed some issues with the smoother shifting in low gears, fixed some Nav issues, and some other things that the '18 and '19 owners were complaining about.

In my eyes the new DCT Wing is the next best and most logical step up from FJR as we age, the "forward and backward crawl" is a Godsend, the fact that the bike is "always in gear" is a great assurance at the stop where most mishaps happens.

It's nice and entertaining to pick brains of everybody on this forum, but ultimately You should test ride "your future bike", and usually within an hour or so you'll know. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I did a short test ride, but I would need longer to get a good feel. I wish I could rent one like someone suggested but nothing is available in my area. The DCT takes some getting use to, but like you said the forward & backward crawl is a nice feature plus the fact it’s always in gear.
post #58 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
The F6C is harder to keep from going down at a stop if you let it lean over than the FJR, even with the lower center of gravity.
Really, I wouldn’t have thought that where as it has a low seat height.
weldteach likes this.
post #59 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:44 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kej1953 View Post
Not as bad as the FJR right?

Worse. The Wing is nearly 900# and once it gets past a nearly-upright position you can pull a hammy or blow a knee trying to keep it from going the rest of the way down. While that might also be true of the FJR, that angle of no return is much greater.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #60 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 07:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
When I get to having a Gold Wing, and seriously worry about being able to hold it up, I hope Tilting Motor Works is still in business. A "Trio" with TiltLock is a lot of coin. But having a trike that leans like a regular bike in the corners and won't fall over when stopped would be priceless. With TiltLock you don't even need to put your feet down when you stop.

https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/honda/

https://youtu.be/3alGM0n1ACA

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page