FJR to Gold Wing - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 10:59 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kej1953 View Post
So when you say ď full lock 1st gear footpeg dragging turnsĒ do you mean you could lean it way over at a slow speed?
Yes. GL1800 doesn't lean as far as an FJR so its not so much of an accomplishment on Goldwing.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 11:04 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkJacket View Post
Pretty certain scraping in parking lot U-Turns is a normal characteristic of the big heavy bagger touring bikes. But also pretty certain that the Wing can out lean all other full dress baggers before scraping anything.
I was really shocked a few weeks ago at how little my neighbor couple's H-D's could lean in turns. Might as well have been riding an RV motorhome.
bounce likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #33 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 02:33 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Yes I do the outward lean with the FJR. Just wondering if the Gold Wing with the longer wheel base can turn tightly. The thing that bothers me with the FJR is a tip over at very slow turns due to its high center of gravity. Not a big deal riding alone, but is when Iím riding two up.

I just came from a 2015 Goldwing f6b and it turned fine, seems comparable to the fjr in radius. The fjr is not a short super sport either. I lasted one year with my Goldwing. Iím 6í and couldnít get comfortable. Footing wasnít the greatest with the wide seat and sitting straight up put a knot on my upper back after about 20 minutes. I think the bars played a huge roll in that too and I wasnít about to drop $800 on heli bars. The fuel delivery on my bike was awful, lurched pretty good at low speed starting out from being lean. The suspension was poor also, much harsher than any bike I rode previously. First thing I did was put stiffer front fork springs(traxxion) in because it was constantly bottoming out. The fork springs were for a much lighter bike and left no travel. That corrected the ride for the most part. Buffeting seemed to be a problem across the board on stock shields.
I also wasnít impressed with fit and finish. Front tire had a bounce to it at 20-30mph, many complained of cupping to the front tire. The fjr seems better put together, tighter and a smarter design. Wait until you have to replace an air filter...hopefully they corrected some of the above on the newest model as mine was previous generation. Newer ones look nicer but I havenít ridden them yet.
I did love the engine and it seemed much more nimble than you would expect for such a heavy bike. It was surprisingly fast and I was coming from my second hayabusa.
A common discussion on their forum was how to make it more comfortable, I bought it thinking it was going to ride like a caddy! Man was I wrong. Hope it works for you, just wasnít my thing. Gobs of loyal followers and miles logged on those bikes too. Ride safe, just my .02 YMMV.

2016 FJR1300A
bounce likes this.

2016 FJR1300A

post #34 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:50 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

One thing i’ll Add that hasn’t been discussed is that I lowered my fjr 1/2” front and back, I used Soupy’s adjustable links in the back and just slid the forks up in the triple clamps. Much, much, much better. I am 5’ 10” with a 30” inseam and while I do use the ready position stop method having-my foot fully planted with a slight bend in the knee gives much more stability plus once stopped I can add stability with my right foot.

Now some will complain that you’ll drag parts but I have yet to touch anything down and I have tried, some of the way more aggressive riders can probably get that done but it’ll be a really aggressive thing.

I also keep my Laam in the lowest position and removed the plastic tray underneath for a bit lower still, this all started when I was stopping for the night in Erie pa. after about 670mi and stopped at the end of the off ramp and found it to be off-camber and a much farther reach than expected along with it just started to drizzle and then add in a slippery surface and it all added up to a slow, somewhat controlled drop, not good. If the bike had been a bit lower like now I may not have dropped it but may still have. Gives me much better control.

Downsides, , yes it does give a bit less lean angle but the fjr has a lot to begin with. Another downside is that it gives a tighter bend to your knee which if like me have had one repaired can be a bit uncomfortable but I added a set of Garauld’s highway pegs (very well done and recommended) which allows me to stretch my legs. Now I can hear the naysayers bitching about cornering clearance again but i’ll Say that my Michelin pr4 front and my Shinko verge 2 rear are both scrubbed to their edges, no chicken strips and while i’m Sure some could scrape parts I haven’t and just ride within my envelope.

So that’s my .02, I enjoy my very fastest color red14a a bunch! It is comfortable, good handling, fast as I need, reliability has not been stellar on my bike but I still enjoy it and like to ride it. But it is fairly heavy at about 640lbs and it is very top heavy when comparing it to my 81 CBX that is also around 640lbs but feels much lighter (lower Cg). I find it interesting that every time I had a problem with this bike and I go looking for a replacement I always comeback to my fjr, it is pretty hard to beat ! Again just my thoughts and .02
Red On Rockwell likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 10-28-2019 at 10:55 AM.
post #35 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 11:39 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Yes I do the outward lean with the FJR. Just wondering if the Gold Wing with the longer wheel base can turn tightly. The thing that bothers me with the FJR is a tip over at very slow turns due to its high center of gravity. Not a big deal riding alone, but is when I’m riding two up.
I hear about its high COG but that's not been my experience give the other bikes I've owned and ridden. Meh, another personal feeling difference that's determined by each individual's experiences.

The Wing can do a U-turn in one lane of a neighborhood side street. As with ALL bikes, keep the revs up so the spinning flywheel helps with stabilization, feather the clutch for speed, load the rear break to drag the rear wheel and settle the suspension, look WAAAAY around to your exit, GO!

Quote:
Its on a steep grade heading up and a dedicated pull off spot. You roll back into the parking spot and all of a sudden you are picking up your bike so if you do the River Road from Lajitas to Presidio, you have been warned.
I don't think I know anyone who's stopped along the River Rd. I know as many times as I've strafed it, that I never have.

Quote:
A common discussion on their forum was how to make it more comfortable, I bought it thinking it was going to ride like a caddy! Man was I wrong.

A function of getting what you ask for. The GL1500 owners all complained that the dual carb engine, designed when national speed limits were 55 mph, didn't deliver the response of more modern designs while also getting lower MPG for EFI (mine, at best got 32 mpg and dropped below that above 65 mph). coming home from one western event I logged one tank at 19 mpg. Honda listened and moved toward a pseudo-sport-luxo-tourer. People got the new engine they wanted but it was wrapped in a new chassis (handling) that changed the rider's position.

Cruise was limited to 80 mph too. I installed a timing trigger wheel which advanced the timing 6ļ and increased HP/Tq enough to notice. I then learned that the cruise was working off an ECU sensor that let it know if you were in 4th or 5th gear. Lower gears and the cc wouldn't engage. 4th and 5th used RPM to determine when to kick in the limiter. 80 mph in both gears meant it would allow higher RPM in 4th. The fix was to use a pin extractor and swap the pins in the gang connector and trick the ECU into thinking you were in 4th. The max speed in 4th for cc then dropped to something like 60 mph but the max for 5th then went up to about 102 mph.
philharmonic likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 10-28-2019 at 11:52 AM.
post #36 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 02:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopheadama View Post
I know exactly that spot in the road where you tipped your bike over. I've seen many folks do the same thing through the years. Its almost an optical illusion as to how you think you should park your bike. Its on a steep grade heading up and a dedicated pull off spot. You roll back into the parking spot and all of a sudden you are picking up your bike so if you do the River Road from Lajitas to Presidio, you have been warned.
I must've found another spot hah!

We started at Presidio and headed towards Lajitas. I need to go over it on Google Street Maps to figure out exactly where it was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJR Big Bend Drop.jpg (331.9 KB, 17 views)

2015 FJR1300A
post #37 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 10:17 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
I also keep my Laam in the lowest position and removed the plastic tray underneath for a bit lower still...

Well, ****, it never occurred to me that the tray could be removed and the seat would still stay in place...

Dan
philharmonic likes this.
post #38 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 05:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse H View Post
I must've found another spot hah!

We started at Presidio and headed towards Lajitas. I need to go over it on Google Street Maps to figure out exactly where it was.
That's the spot I was talking about. You come up a steep grade for a few miles and then the pull off is there where you can walk up a bit and get a really nice view. Its amazing how many people have dropped their bikes there because of the off camber way that pull off is situated.

I almost dropped my bike the first time there but after making that trip year after year you just know about it but first timers have dropped many motorcycles right there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.2970.../data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited by Mopheadama; 10-29-2019 at 06:00 PM.
post #39 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:31 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcumpian View Post
Well, ****, it never occurred to me that the tray could be removed and the seat would still stay in place...

Dan

I took my tray out and didnít notice a difference, didnít seem any lower to me. The locking mechanism slides into the bracket on the seat and holds it in place. From eyeballing it, if there was an 1/8Ē, I would be surprised so I just put the tray back.
Might have gained 5hp to the wheel though from cutting weight! Maybe Iíll take it back out

2016 FJR1300A

2016 FJR1300A
post #40 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
One thing iíll Add that hasnít been discussed is that I lowered my fjr 1/2Ē front and back, I used Soupyís adjustable links in the back and just slid the forks up in the triple clamps. Much, much, much better. I am 5í 10Ē with a 30Ē inseam and while I do use the ready position stop method having-my foot fully planted with a slight bend in the knee gives much more stability plus once stopped I can add stability with my right foot.

Now some will complain that youíll drag parts but I have yet to touch anything down and I have tried, some of the way more aggressive riders can probably get that done but itíll be a really aggressive thing.

I also keep my Laam in the lowest position and removed the plastic tray underneath for a bit lower still, this all started when I was stopping for the night in Erie pa. after about 670mi and stopped at the end of the off ramp and found it to be off-camber and a much farther reach than expected along with it just started to drizzle and then add in a slippery surface and it all added up to a slow, somewhat controlled drop, not good. If the bike had been a bit lower like now I may not have dropped it but may still have. Gives me much better control.

Downsides, , yes it does give a bit less lean angle but the fjr has a lot to begin with. Another downside is that it gives a tighter bend to your knee which if like me have had one repaired can be a bit uncomfortable but I added a set of Garauldís highway pegs (very well done and recommended) which allows me to stretch my legs. Now I can hear the naysayers bitching about cornering clearance again but iíll Say that my Michelin pr4 front and my Shinko verge 2 rear are both scrubbed to their edges, no chicken strips and while iím Sure some could scrape parts I havenít and just ride within my envelope.

So thatís my .02, I enjoy my very fastest color red14a a bunch! It is comfortable, good handling, fast as I need, reliability has not been stellar on my bike but I still enjoy it and like to ride it. But it is fairly heavy at about 640lbs and it is very top heavy when comparing it to my 81 CBX that is also around 640lbs but feels much lighter (lower Cg). I find it interesting that every time I had a problem with this bike and I go looking for a replacement I always comeback to my fjr, it is pretty hard to beat ! Again just my thoughts and .02
passx, I was thinking of trying the lowering option on mine. I have similar dimensions as you and I think lowering it would give me piece of mind possibly. You mentioned it gives a tighter bend to your knee. Are you referring to when youíre stopped and have your feet down?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page