FJR to Gold Wing - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 12:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

Ride Like a Pro and most police motorcyclists teach this "ready position."

I'd say most of the time it works well and when you take into consideration the majority of police motorcycles Harley tourers with low seat heights, it works very well.

I took the class twice and have utilized the ready position with great success on my last HD and FJR. I live in a flat part of the country and always scanned to keep an eye out for bad spots where my left foot may land. Earlier this year we went on a trip to Big Bend and pulled over at a scenic over look.

I failed to scan or note how steep the road was and automatically put my left foot down and to my surprise it touched down much sooner than I expected. This pushed the bike over to the right where my right foot had no chance of touching the ground due to how steep the road was.

Like I said, I failed to pay attention to the grade of the road and the bike tipped over on the right. I'd be totally confident going back there if paying attention. I still use the ready position 99% of the time but exercise much more caution when I'm on unfamiliar terrain or hilly areas.
zwartie likes this.

2015 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwartie View Post
kej1953,

I get it, and my apologies for hijacking this thread. The Ready Position is still best practice when it comes to stopping in traffic and moving off from a stop, especially if you're just about to make a right turn at an intersection. If that doesn't work for you, just be sure to get your right foot up on the peg (or floor board) as soon as possible so it's available in case you need to brake. My response was in regards to the blanket statement (and I'm paraphrasing) that all riders need to be able to touch down with both feet flat on the ground when straddling the bike - that just isn't true. That being said, we also tell riders (especially new riders) to choose a bike that they are comfortable with in terms of weight, height, and handling. Obviously the FJR no longer fits the bill for you. My dad rode a GL1100 20 years ago and I've seen him go from that to a Shadow 750, then a Burgman 650 and now a 1977 KZ200 (in mint condition). He's 83 now and despite suffering from congestive heart failure and a few other ailments that require a half dozen pills per day to keep him going, he's still riding. A couple instructor buddies of mine who are in their mid-late 60's each recently switched from larger, heavier bikes (Concours 1400 and Super Tenere) to Yamaha FJ-09s. The FJ-09 (now known as the Tracer) is lighter and more nimble than their previous rides. One of them actually rides two-up fairly regularly on the FJ-09 and looks much more stable on it than he did on the Super Ten. I've taken his FJ-09 for a rip and that 3 cylinder engine is an absolute blast.

Zwartie
Funny you should mention the Tracer. I am considering a Tracer GT. Donít know what it would be like two up, but good to know itís being done. I know I canít flat foot the Tracer as itís higher than the FJR. However itís a lot lighter and that sure makes a difference.
smokamoto likes this.

Last edited by kej1953; 10-26-2019 at 04:04 PM.
post #23 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 07:11 PM
FJR Top Gun

I had 2002 GL1800A for 9 years. My biggest complaint was rather sweep of handgrips was too great. I am wide enough my arms angle in toward the grips which only makes the rearward sweep greater. Short of custom fabrication of new handlebars I didnít find any alternate at the time. Driving a Prius was easier, cheaper, and more comfortable. Finally sold the Goldwing.

The current generation Goldwing is interesting but first time I touched one confirmed the handgrip sweep has not changed and the new articulated linkage steering has a lot of flex which will only produce sloppy steering.

Has been a year or more since visiting the local Honda (Yamaha, Indian, BMW) dealer who was promising a chili cookoff. Big disappointment. Placed hands on a red DCT and didnít find the expected steering flex. $25k MSRP. Later at other end of store was a grey same thing (I think) but tagged $18k discounted from $25k. Seemed to be new. But had the steering flex I remembered. Perhaps it needed adjustment?

Didnít price the Indians but if you could stomach a V-twin without fairing they looked very nice. Looked to be relatively easy to service. Rear shock exposed with rebound, compression, and preload adjustment. Easy access to brake pads. Big huge fat tires.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #24 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
I had 2002 GL1800A for 9 years. My biggest complaint was rather sweep of handgrips was too great. I am wide enough my arms angle in toward the grips which only makes the rearward sweep greater. Short of custom fabrication of new handlebars I didnít find any alternate at the time. Driving a Prius was easier, cheaper, and more comfortable. Finally sold the Goldwing.

The current generation Goldwing is interesting but first time I touched one confirmed the handgrip sweep has not changed and the new articulated linkage steering has a lot of flex which will only produce sloppy steering.

Has been a year or more since visiting the local Honda (Yamaha, Indian, BMW) dealer who was promising a chili cookoff. Big disappointment. Placed hands on a red DCT and didnít find the expected steering flex. $25k MSRP. Later at other end of store was a grey same thing (I think) but tagged $18k discounted from $25k. Seemed to be new. But had the steering flex I remembered. Perhaps it needed adjustment?

Didnít price the Indians but if you could stomach a V-twin without fairing they looked very nice. Looked to be relatively easy to service. Rear shock exposed with rebound, compression, and preload adjustment. Easy access to brake pads. Big huge fat tires.
I didnít feel steering flex on the two I tried out. Iím not sure how tight a turn I could make as the bike has a long wheelbase.
post #25 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 12:00 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kej1953 View Post
I didnít feel steering flex on the two I tried out. Iím not sure how tight a turn I could make as the bike has a long wheelbase.
When the Goldwing club hosted Experienced Rider Courses (good for insurance discount) I used to impress by doing full lock 1st gear footpeg dragging turns. Learned how parking at work. The key for me was to look where I was going ahead of time and the only way out of that condition is to add throttle to go faster.
bounce and Blueridgerider like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #26 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
When the Goldwing club hosted Experienced Rider Courses (good for insurance discount) I used to impress by doing full lock 1st gear footpeg dragging turns. Learned how parking at work. The key for me was to look where I was going ahead of time and the only way out of that condition is to add throttle to go faster.
So when you say ď full lock 1st gear footpeg dragging turnsĒ do you mean you could lean it way over at a slow speed?
post #27 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 11:09 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:

My first ERC after moving from a 98se GL1500 to the FJR, I took the bags off and put them by the bleachers. I then did the S curves inside the smaller box meant for BRC loaner 250s. Much tighter. At slow speed you use your body as a counter weight or outrigger; leaning away from the turn.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
My first ERC after moving from a 98se GL1500 to the FJR, I took the bags off and put them by the bleachers. I then did the S curves inside the smaller box meant for BRC loaner 250s. Much tighter. At slow speed you use your body as a counter weight or outrigger; leaning away from the turn.
Yes I do the outward lean with the FJR. Just wondering if the Gold Wing with the longer wheel base can turn tightly. The thing that bothers me with the FJR is a tip over at very slow turns due to its high center of gravity. Not a big deal riding alone, but is when Iím riding two up.
post #29 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 02:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse H View Post
Ride Like a Pro and most police motorcyclists teach this "ready position."

I'd say most of the time it works well and when you take into consideration the majority of police motorcycles Harley tourers with low seat heights, it works very well.

I took the class twice and have utilized the ready position with great success on my last HD and FJR. I live in a flat part of the country and always scanned to keep an eye out for bad spots where my left foot may land. Earlier this year we went on a trip to Big Bend and pulled over at a scenic over look.

I failed to scan or note how steep the road was and automatically put my left foot down and to my surprise it touched down much sooner than I expected. This pushed the bike over to the right where my right foot had no chance of touching the ground due to how steep the road was.

Like I said, I failed to pay attention to the grade of the road and the bike tipped over on the right. I'd be totally confident going back there if paying attention. I still use the ready position 99% of the time but exercise much more caution when I'm on unfamiliar terrain or hilly areas.
I know exactly that spot in the road where you tipped your bike over. I've seen many folks do the same thing through the years. Its almost an optical illusion as to how you think you should park your bike. Its on a steep grade heading up and a dedicated pull off spot. You roll back into the parking spot and all of a sudden you are picking up your bike so if you do the River Road from Lajitas to Presidio, you have been warned.
bounce and Jesse H like this.
post #30 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 03:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kej1953 View Post
So when you say “ full lock 1st gear footpeg dragging turns” do you mean you could lean it way over at a slow speed?

Pretty certain scraping in parking lot U-Turns is a normal characteristic of the big heavy bagger touring bikes. But also pretty certain that the Wing can out lean all other full dress baggers before scraping anything.
bounce and N4HHE like this.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ©Ķ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo

Last edited by JunkJacket; 10-27-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page