FJR Comfortable on Long Rides? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Question FJR Comfortable on Long Rides?

Hi all,

I currently have a Boulevard M50 (800cc Cruiser) and am thinking about getting an FJR. I test-rode one last week & was surprised by the Sport-like position - pegs/shifter up & back (compared to my cruiser anyway) and some amount of body weight supported on handle bars.

So my question is - can this position be comfortable for 4+hrs of riding? I know from experience that this position is NOT comfortable on a road bicycle; hands go numb, shoulders get stiff, etc.
I can see how the FJR would be a hoot zipping back-n-forth to work but I'm leery about longer rides which is what I'm primarily buying it for.

Appreciate any comments/insight.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:41 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Before installing my Helibars, I took my FJR on a 4000+ mile trip which had 8 hr riding days. I could feel it a little in the wrists, but it was not bad. A lot depends on how much you need to lean forward.

With the Helibars, I added grip puppies to ease the vibration on the hands.

IMO I cannot see a Boulevard as comfortable for an all day ride.

YMMV.
bounce likes this.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

That is what most of us buy the FJR for. I'm on my second FJR and have done many long trips and long days. My disclaimer is that not every bike works for everyone. My observation is that people who first buy Sport Touring bikes immediately want to make changes to the riding position. And while that may wind up being the right thing for some folks, you have to remember that fixing one problem may cause another.

What is the biggest difference between a bicycle and motorcycle? Simple....speed. That speed puts more air pressure under you that takes the pressure off your arms and wrists. Putting a taller windshield on works against that, so many people put on handlebar risers.

I hope I have not just added more confusion to your question. But my answer is that it is extremely comfortable. I had two Goldwings that I only used for two up riding. I hated them because the bolt upright riding position caused me great back pain. So there you have the differences in what works for different folks.
bounce, wheaton, Redfish and 1 others like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:13 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Yes, they are comfortable with an aftermarket seat. The trick is weight distribution. A sit up and beg posture puts all the weight on your butt. Not the best. With the FJR posture, part of your weight goes to the foot pegs, some goes to the handlebars. A slight forward lean can spread some of the weight to the upper thighs, thereby spreading the weight to a wider area.
bounce and Red On Rockwell like this.

'06 FJR 1300AE
'05 BMW R1200RT
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:19 PM
Training wheels fitted!

My take on the FJR (just bought a 2007 in late august)is a comfortable smooth ride for about 150 miles and then my knees start hurting and need another spot to place my feet...when im bye myself which is almaost never I put them on passenger pegs and im good for another hunded….that being said I love the comfort speed ride and miles I can go with refueling....ive rideen and own rigid Harleys and swing arm Harleys that all have a purpose and love them all the same...so id get one and ride the **** out of it JMO...ive put 1250 miles on it so far and my average seat time goes between 4 and 6 hours or 200 miles 2 up riding,did a search and found people are putting on engine guards with highway pegs....just do it haha
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

My SIL rides a M50 but has never ridden my FJR.
I have however ridden hers.
Because of back issues, I can barely get off a cruiser after a 30 min ride , and the pain lingers for a couple of days.

If your arms are not strong, or your midriff muscles not in shape, you will initially find the FJR tiring. The more, and longer you ride will let your body adapt to the new position.
After you ride a few thousand miles, then decide what you might change.
Risers are better for some, but will then require a windshield upgrade.
For me, getting rid of the sandpaper like friction seatcover material with a seat concepts foam and smooth cover made the most dramatic change.
The more you move and “ride” the bike in corners, rather than parking your butt on the seat (like interstates), the more comfortable you will be.

600km on two lane roads is very attainable for multiple days. 800km days are very doable , but multiple days start to take a higher toll.

You will enjoy riding the FJR rather than sitting on the C50 after an adaptation period . Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bounce and jjscsix like this.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:04 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I guess depends on what you're used to. For some comparison though, go sit on a modern sportbike, e.g. R1, GSXR1000, etc. You'll see that in comparison, the FJR position is bolt upright with your feet under you such that you can take weight off your butt for big bumps a la RR tracks. I compare the position to sitting at a picnic table with my feet under me and elbows on the table. Very comfortable long distance position to me but to each his/her own.

That said, you'll see a ton of people on here proposing bar risers and GoldWing style seats so there are of course mods that can be made. Me, if I was looking to purchase a bike and wanted a GW I'd just buy a GW instead of buying an FJR and spending another grand to make it like a GW. But that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:47 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

highway pegs help so you can change positions on long trips.
Seat needs to be changed or modified for long distance
4 hours is short, 8+ hours is long distance.
I also have heli bars that came with the bike.

Current Bike> '14 FJR ES, '17 Versys-X 300 ABS
Past Bikes > '09 Ninja 250r, '00 XT225 (blew piston), '03 Goldwing, '07 DR650, '07 XT225, '12 NC700x
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:16 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I've got 71k miles total among 3 FJRs (1x gen 1, 2x gen 2) all with stock seat and bars. Around 4 trips of 1 week and 2500 miles, 6k and 5k mile 2 week trips, bunch of 700 mile days, etc. Just saying it's a personal thing. I would not like risers, bars are borderline too tall as is imho. After a seat gets 5+ years on it though, it could use some refreshed foam.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
dragothesiberian likes this.

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:44 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Comfort is personal so for me, the FJR is NOT as comfortable as my 03 Goldwing or my 98 Yamaha Royal Star. But I took the same long trips on the FJR that I had previously taken on those bikes and did just fine. I have an RDL seat and I had bar risers on my '13 FJR but not now on my '18. Both were comfortable for me. For reference, I am 6'0", with long trunk and short legs, 31" inseam. I can't go on long trips anymore for other reasons but not because of comfort. And I have never ridden two-up on the FJR, solo only.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in