What can I expect? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
LOL, I want to see your ST in the mud.... I wouldn't take my ST there, that's for sure.
And a bonus GL1800 picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arctic dash dirt.jpg (312.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Arctic Dirt ST.jpg (212.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg gl1800 mud.jpg (549.9 KB, 20 views)
zwartie likes this.

'06 FJR 1300AE
'05 BMW R1200RT

Last edited by Sach7581; 10-12-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

That ain't mud, LOL, too much gravel base, but I get it. At least the GL has a lower center of gravity. I've been on some awful goat trails on the FJR too... All fun!

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Well there’s been some really informative posts for which I’m grateful, so thanks to those contributors.

One thing I’ve found with the ST1300 is the painted metal work keeps well if looked after. With regular cleaning after every ride my ST’s haven’t shown any deterioration at the clutch cover area and the shaft drive housing. Is the FJR as robust in the people’s opinions who have owned both?

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 03:23 PM
FJR Top Gun

LOL mine have both looked the same. Dirty. I'm a rider not a polisher. Time spent cleaning means less time to ride. Bugs and rock chips are all earned. YMMV lol

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Farkle Trainee

I owned an ST and really liked it. Love my Ď14 FJR a model, wish I had the ES but not enough to trade up. They are similar bikes and I think most of us quickly adapt from one to the other. In my mind Yamaha has kept the FJR current with cruise and other updates. I put about 20,000 miles on so far this year and the FJR is more comfortable IMO and there is significantly less heat coming off the bike and effecting the rider. I think the FJR in addition to being lighter is a little less bulbous. I have a 30Ē inseam and havenít had any issues with managing the seat height either in stock trim or especially since I had KonTour hollow out the sides of the front of the seat. Hope that helps
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Kean View Post
Well thereís been some really informative posts for which Iím grateful, so thanks to those contributors.

One thing Iíve found with the ST1300 is the painted metal work keeps well if looked after. With regular cleaning after every ride my STís havenít shown any deterioration at the clutch cover area and the shaft drive housing. Is the FJR as robust in the peopleís opinions who have owned both?
Yes.

I don't know where you live or where you ride. I live in Humid, Swampy, Flatlandistan. We have humidity, we have Bugs, we have time spent on the Gulf Coast with a corrosive saltwater atmosphere. I can see no difference between the FJR and ST in this regard. Actually, I would say the paint on the forks is better on the FJR, my ST forks looked terrible.

Logic does not always help with a motorcycle choice. You may try the FJR and hate it. I loved my ST1300 and did not want to get rid of it. After my first day of my first long trip on the FJR I realized I was less fatigued than with the ST. I still have not figured this out. You have to ride what you like and that may not match up with what we like.

Pop got his first FJR in '07 and I bought my '04 ST soon after so we could ride together. I kept that ST until 2015 and traded it for my '15ES. This '15ES is the finest motorcycle I have ever ridden. Pop now has a '14 A and says the same thing.

LaHe66 and the Ferret like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 12:46 PM
FJR Top Gun

Dang your pop must have long legs, looking at the bend in his knees while sitting there. I'm jealous. (beautiful pic btw)

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Seems like the FJR is a winner for the category.

I suppose lastly I should prompt an engine comparison. The ST is incredibly smooth under hard acceleration. I wouldn’t expect the FJR to match the ST in this area. Indeed before buying my current ST I thought to consider a ride on the Connie for the first time. I could not believe how vibration radiated the front on the bike. Moreover at 80mph the image in the mirrors were being significantly disturbed by vibration. This was a sub 2K miles bike. Much of what I’ve read seems to suggest the Connie is smoother than the FJR. I haven’t ridden the new six speed FJR.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 02:38 PM
FJR Top Gun

I thought my ST was a little smoother than the FJR but not gobs smoother. The images in my mirrors are clear (6 speed). At 80 mph in 6th you are probably talking 3750 rpms.
bounce likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:22 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
@N4HHE

the only point I was making is that the top and bottom ends of the pleats are not sealed the same way as the more obvious method of using solid end caps. Iím sure they ARE sealed somehow or it wouldnít do a good job. If a time comes where I only have the Yamaha filter available to me then Iíll certainly use it without hesitation.
N4HHE likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page