About To Buy - Some Questions - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Smile About To Buy - Some Questions

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum and put a post in the new members thread.

I currently ride a 2009 Triumph Rocket III (standard) with a few go-faster goodies: RamAir fiter, D&D pipes (cat box removed), Dobeck AFR+ fuel controller with custom map, Progressive springs in the front and Hagon Nitros at the rear. She's been a good girl and has 75,000 miles on the clock. I've been lurking on this forum for the last 3 years or so as I knew that the FJR would very likely be my next bike.

My riding is typically 75% countryside and 25% city. Rides are rarely less than 80 miles and from time to time I'll do 600 - 700 mile days.

Later this week I'm going to try and seal a deal on a new 2018 FJR1300ES from my local dealer. I'll add that I trust this dealer and have been working with them on and off since I bought a Valkyrie from them in 2001. Generally I like to do my own wrenching (given the time) and will order a factory service manual.

I hope you can help with a few questions that I have cropped up in my little brain after reading posts on this site:

1. I've read that the head bearings should be re-torqued at the 600 mile service, but in the maintenance section of the owner's manual it says just to check them by grabbing the forks. Does anyone have documentation stating that the re-torquing should be done at the first service? I want to be sure of my position when I'm negotiating price as I'd likely have the dealer do that type of work on a brand new bike.

2. I've searched online for the official bike prep' document that the dealer is supposed to use when assembling the bike out of the crate but haven't found it. Does anyone here have a copy? I've read about Loctiting the lock/latch screws on the panniers and I'll make sure the dealer has done that. What other items should I look out for?

3. I've never owned a vehicle with a matte paint finish before but I do know that regular gloss cleaners/polishes aren't suitable. Can anyone point me to a product that works well on a matte finish?

4. Here in the US the bike comes with a 12 month warranty (which I think is a bit stingey of Yamaha ). I may purchase an extended warranty and the dealership is pushing me towards a plan that they sell from a 3rd party. It's more expensive than YES at around $900 for an extra 5 years but it does cover several items that apparently aren't covered by YES, such as fork seals. As a rule I'm not a big believer in paying out for extended warranties but due to the nature of my job (constantly away from home) I don't get much spare time to work on things about the house/garage, so dismantling the front end for example would have me off the bike for at least 3 weeks. Does anyone have experience or recommendations for or against YES vs. a 3rd party extended warranty plan?

Thanks!

MarkD
Dallas, TX
2009 Triumph Rocket III
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:12 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDunn View Post
1. I've read that the head bearings should be re-torqued at the 600 mile service, but in the maintenance section of the owner's manual it says just to check them by grabbing the forks. Does anyone have documentation stating that the re-torquing should be done at the first service? I want to be sure of my position when I'm negotiating price as I'd likely have the dealer do that type of work on a brand new bike.
When mine started wobbling I tried everything for 14,000 miles. Could not feel loose steering bearings by shaking forks with wheel raised.

Some never have steering bearing problems. I suspect those are the ones which 1) are either lucky, or 2) at 600 miles the top bridge was removed, front end dropped a couple inches to reach lower bearings for additional grease, then bearing preload properly set. I don't know whether my preload was set, whether the bearings greased, or the forks were simply shaken and declared "good". Old bearings were not swimming in grease, but not dry either. Bearings do not need much grease.

Quote:
4. Here in the US the bike comes with a 12 month warranty (which I think is a bit stingey of Yamaha ). I may purchase an extended warranty and the dealership is pushing me towards a plan that they sell from a 3rd party. It's more expensive than YES at around $900 for an extra 5 years but it does cover several items that apparently aren't covered by YES, such as fork seals. As a rule I'm not a big believer in paying out for extended warranties but due to the nature of my job (constantly away from home) I don't get much spare time to work on things about the house/garage, so dismantling the front end for example would have me off the bike for at least 3 weeks. Does anyone have experience or recommendations for or against YES vs. a 3rd party extended warranty plan?
I have never heard of anyone who actually collected off a 3rd party warranty, automobile or motorcycle. Know people who have tried. Dealer has a very comfortable (negotiable) margin on Y.E.S. and to be pushing 3rd party means there is even more margin/markup. You can purchase Y.E.S. anytime from any Yamaha dealer prior to the original warranty expiring. Y.E.S. is good at any Yamaha dealer, the 3rd party warranty would be a hassle anywhere other than your original dealer, and even then it might be a hassle.

I certainly would not buy a warranty for fork seals. ES people don't seem to ever rebuild their suspensions but my A at 56,000 miles is in bad need. I suspect the ES's need it too. I wouldn't expect this to be covered by warranty any more than I would expect tires to be replaced when they wear out. Then again my neighbor says thats exactly what he got with prepaid maintenance on a Harley-Davidson. Was afraid to ask how much that policy cost.
Redfish likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:38 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy, neighbor.

I just checked my 2013 FSM. It does not say "Retorque the fork bearings." It does say to physically check the forks by moving them and if you feel any looseness or binding, regrease and retorque them. Other people here have said they had "undetectable problems" that retorquing cured. So, I dunno'.

Best deal on the YES seems to be out of D&H Cycles in northern Alabama. They will sell by telephone/mail.
N4HHE likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks N4HHE and JohnC,

That information is very much appreciated.

John C, as we’re located quite close to one another we’ll have to get together some time.

MarkD
Dallas, TX
2009 Triumph Rocket III
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:31 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDunn View Post
Hi all,

I've just joined the forum and put a post in the new members thread.

……. 3. I've never owned a vehicle with a matte paint finish before but I do know that regular gloss cleaners/polishes aren't suitable. Can anyone point me to a product that works well on a matte finish?
I just bought the 2019 with blue matte paint. You are correct, no paste type waxing should be applied to that type of finish.
For the entire bike (plastic panels, front fender, wheels, gas tank, windshield, mirrors, etc.) I've been using this:

I still have a tiny hint of adhesive residue left where the gas tank warning sticker was. It'll probably be gone after a few more cleanings.

Live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't F*** mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo

Last edited by JunkJacket; 10-08-2019 at 12:34 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Definitely re-torque the steering head bearings after a few hundred miles. They will need it, for the final torque, I'd go 15-18 ft. lbs, 13 is a bit light.
Definitely loctite the locks, the dealers don't seem to be able to read.
Definiltely call D&H and get YES for something like $395, up here in Canada we have to pay 4 times that. Do it especially for the ES, you won't want to pony up $2500 for a rear shock... that said, I've only heard of two leakers at the preload or damping adjuster.
passx and bishopchip like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:41 AM
Farkle Trainee

cleaning Matte paint was covered here: enjoy

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-f...te-finish.html
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My A was in no need of suspension rebuilding at 85,000 plus miles. Zero leakage and still rode great. Still handled great. I recommend Y.E.S. Highly. I do not recommend 3rd party warranties. Around $385 for four years of Y.E.S. I bought it for my 2014, and it saved me at least a couple of thousand.

I currently own a 2018 ES. Soap and water are all you’ll need for the paint. I use Chemical guys matte wash and matte sealant, but the sealant is pretty much bullshit, and is very prone to chalking and streaking, regardless of how it’s applied. You’d be better off just using the wash or avoiding them completely and just using a mild soap solution.
passx likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 10-08-2019 at 09:06 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks all,

Getting a new bike is like getting a new woman, - you have to learn their idiosyncracies and how to treat them to get the best out of them.
FjrjrF and bishopchip like this.

MarkD
Dallas, TX
2009 Triumph Rocket III
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Hi everyone,

Per my original post, I traded in the 2009 Triumph Rocket III for a new 2018 FJR1300ES. I've had her for a week but have only had time to ride about 250 miles. So far I'm very impressed! I quickly got used to the seating, peg position (the Rocket had feet forward controls from the factory) and the hydraulic clutch and I'm looking forward to riding a lot more miles in the near future.

I have already bought the oil, filter and crush washers for the 600 mile engine/bevel box oil changes. I'll do most of the 1st service myself but will have the dealer sync the throttle bodies and re-torque the steering head bearings.

I've also ordered the Yamaha aluminum rack and 50L top box, a factory service manual, and the OBDC and ABS test harnesses that RaYzerman makes. Ray was very helpful in getting that order sorted out. Thanks Ray.

A question:
The radiator has a slatted plastic protective cover over it, but it doesn't seem as though it would stop a lot of road debris from getting through. On a 2005 Kawasaki ZX9R that I owned, I fitted a Cox Racing radiator screen. Is that worth doing with the FJR?

Thanks!

MarkD
Dallas, TX
2009 Triumph Rocket III

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in