50L topcase questions - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

50L topcase questions

Hi,

I posted about 2 weeks ago about receiving a 50L topcase that I couldn't open. The place I bought it from shipped a replacement and guess what? I can't open this one either. I took it out of the box, then tried to pull up on the handle and there's resistance and the top won't open. There is a gap on the left hand side where I can see one of the latches (the first one had a similar gap on the right hand side). Can someone send pics of what this looks like opened so I can try to figure out what the heck is going on? Has anyone disassembled one of these? How does the latching mechanism work? It seems similar to the saddlebags but I'd like to be sure where the moving parts are. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:16 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

If it's anything like Givi's cases, you need the key to unlock it. Doesn't it come with an owners manual? Maybe try looking up youtube reviews on the case.

2015 FJR1300A
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 02:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by abowen View Post
Hi,

I posted about 2 weeks ago about receiving a 50L topcase that I couldn't open. The place I bought it from shipped a replacement and guess what? I can't open this one either. I took it out of the box, then tried to pull up on the handle and there's resistance and the top won't open. There is a gap on the left hand side where I can see one of the latches (the first one had a similar gap on the right hand side). Can someone send pics of what this looks like opened so I can try to figure out what the heck is going on? Has anyone disassembled one of these? How does the latching mechanism work? It seems similar to the saddlebags but I'd like to be sure where the moving parts are. Thanks.

I do have a 50L box, I suggest you send photos of yours showing the locking handle area, it would be easier for me or others in here to give you some relevant answers.

Roger
2016 FJR AE (ES)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 09:21 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Don't remember seeing this answer in the last thread. 50L box, Yamaha or SHAD?

- Jim,
AMA and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:42 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I initially purchased a Yamaha 50L top case for my 2016. The first one I received I could not open no matter what I tried, so I returned it. The replacement I could open. Then I took a look at the Yamaha rack which says "Max 11 lbs" and returned both the rack and top case since the top case weighted more than 11 pounds. I don't believe Yamaha has their act together on their top cases or racks.

I went with a Givi top case and rack.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

There are two actuating mechanisms. One is like a paddle. This one opens the case. The second one is like a handle. This one engages the case to the top rack. You put the key in and turn to operate either mechanism.

My first car was a motorcycle.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 08:31 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

When you first get the top case you need to open the case to install the lock. I was unable to do that, which drove the return.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 04:16 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspyder View Post
... Then I took a look at the Yamaha rack which says "Max 11 lbs" ...

I was wondering about that me too, but I don't think any person can be that stupid, so I concluded that this is the net. load in the topbox together with this rack. Works great, no problem with it, and I do not want to have a heavy load up there anyway. But the marking does not make sense.

Roger
2016 FJR AE (ES)
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:13 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerf View Post
I was wondering about that me too, but I don't think any person can be that stupid, so I concluded that this is the net. load in the topbox together with this rack. Works great, no problem with it, and I do not want to have a heavy load up there anyway. But the marking does not make sense.
I would think 11 lbs excludes the weight of the box. The Marking is obviously legal weasel words.

My first car was a motorcycle.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Meat is correct.

When I broke my subframe and talked to Yamaha about all this the rep kept stating a “max of 10lbs” over the weight of the box. He got a little po’d at me because I kept asking him that at that time the Yamaha 50l box (now made by Shad) was at 25lbs and my Shad 50l was at 15lbs and the Givi was somewhat less than that, so I asked if I was ok to 20lbs since my Shad is 10lbs lighter than the oe Yamaha. He never varied from his canned answer just got po’d and started loudly exclaiming 10lbs Max. I enjoyed aggravating him ! Kind of a payback for the p-poor broken subframe.

Then when I installed the Yamaha heavy aluminum rack I noticed that they have 11lbs max cast into it. Part of me wanted to call the Yamaha rep back and aggravate him some more as the whole subframe deal is such a poor design that I feel they should be called on it at every chance,,,, they should be embarrassed instead of defensive of it, it’s a terrible design that just sucks at best.

Off the soapbox now,,, it is as uncle meat states that the weight-is over the added box weight. Yamaha should be embarrassed by the fact that we are even having this discussion though.
Uncle Meat likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 10-03-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in