50L topcase questions - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 09:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

I had a "50L" top box and sold it. No real problem except that it ain't 50L. More like 30. I measured it by filling the top half with a measured amount of water and the lower half doing the same thing. There were all kinds of things I couldn't fit in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My Shad 50l will hold 2 full face helmets w/o problems but some things will Not fit due to shape differences. Shad currently makes the Yamaha “factory” box’s. I use my topbox all the time but I am very aware of any weight added to it because of the broken subframe I had.

I will also say that adding a “stiffy” kit will not prevent a broken subframe but will keep the broken piece’s from littering the highway behind you. I will also add that in my opinion adding the Yamaha heavy aluminum rack, the givi sr357 or the Shad tubular rack is not a 100% garantee either, it is really just a very poor design.

That said, I will say that only the Yamaha heavy aluminum rack, the givi sr 357 orthe Shad tube rack are the only things that give you any chance of not breaking the subframe. I used the “stiffy kit” that I had installed when my subframe broke as the base for additional support that I heavily modified in addition to the Yamaha aluminum rack. I will add that if your top case flops or shakes around it is at risk of breaking the subframe due to the vibration transmitted to the subframe through the unsupported tab on the topframe that hangs out in the wind and everything pretty much attach’s To. My .02

But add the givi sr357, the. Shad tube rack or The Yamaha heavy aluminum rack and the chances of breaking your subframe are then pretty slim but you still need to be aware of any weight added. My top box does not move or flop at all now but I still adhere to the 10/11 lb max load even though with the mods I added it would probably allow me to ride in it w/o breaking things. Just be aware that it is a frail design.

One thing I would add is that my neighbors 2017 Harley Ultra Limited’s top box has a very large “10lbs max weight” inside of it although it’s big enough to carry 2 cases of beer along with ice and a drain in the bottom neatly Routed to not make a mess. Has anyone heard of a Harley breaking a subframe ? My buddies 2015 r1200rs beemer has the same warning.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 10-09-2019 at 09:40 AM.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDunn View Post
Hi,

With the Yamaha aluminum rack and a Yamaha top box, is the top box quick release from the rack or is it a more permanent fixture?

Thanks.
Quick release. If you fit the spare locking mechanism, that came with your bike, to the box everything will operate with the ignition key.

My first car was a motorcycle.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks Uncle Meat.

MarkD
Dallas, TX
2009 Triumph Rocket III
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
One thing I would add is that my neighbors 2017 Harley Ultra Limitedís top box has a very large ď10lbs max weightĒ inside of it although itís big enough to carry 2 cases of beer along with ice and a drain in the bottom neatly Routed to not make a mess. Has anyone heard of a Harley breaking a subframe ? My buddies 2015 r1200rs beemer has the same warning.
I've wondered if the weight limits are actually about getting hit by it or contents depending on how it breaks in an accident. This way you can't sue if the case was overloaded and smacked you after you went over the bars....

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Farkle Trainee

Keep in mind these published "load limits" are just legal weasel words a Yamaha attorney can use against you if you file a claim. As in, "You disregarded the published load limit and therefore the Yamaha corporation is not responsible for your loss."
passx likes this.

My first car was a motorcycle.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I tend to agree with u-meat in that itís mostly legal weasel crap but itís also some to do with upsetting the handling balance, there is some credibility there since the fjr is already fairly top heavy.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page