2016 FJR 5 speed - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

2016 FJR 5 speed

Hi. I bought the FJR 1300 2016 5 speed model last year.
It has now done 9k and has started lurching at low revs, almost like fuel starvation or not firing properly.
The plugs are perfect and i put in a new air filter.
I noticed today i second gear when i throttled off and put just a little throttle back on it almost stopped.
At traffick lights you have to rev it and slip the clutch in case it stalls.
I went to Assen for the Moto GP in May and it never missed a beat. I did try some injector cleaner in with the fuel and it made it a tad better for a while.
Any ideas.
By the way i live in the UK, and not at altitude.

Many thanks
Bernard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:01 PM
Farkle Trainee

We don't have a 5 speed FJR for 2016 in the United States. Were they still selling a 5 speed version in the UK in 2016?

If you only have 9K, and I assume you are using kilometers instead of miles in the UK, then it sounds fuel related. I would be draining all of the gasoline and starting over fresh. Less than 9000 kilometers in 3 years sounds like stale fuel to me.
FjrjrF and N4HHE like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:35 PM
Training wheels fitted!

It could be fuel as unleaded starts to go off after about 6 weeks, use it and fill up with fresh. Otherwise it could be the Throttle Position Sensor or another sensor. But work on the fuel first.

2018 Phantom Blue

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:42 PM
Farkle Trainee

Late model registration common in UK, 2015 model reg'ed as 2016. I'm not sure Yamaha had ever sorted fuelling on FI bikes. All yams ive riden with fi have had "stumbles" at constant low speed/rpm. Apart from a remap you learn to ride around it and replace the clutch..
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:22 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

This might sound weird but check your battery connections and your battery health.
Redfish likes this.

Current Bike> '14 FJR ES, '17 Versys-X 300 ABS
Past Bikes > '09 Ninja 250r, '00 XT225 (blew piston), '03 Goldwing, '07 DR650, '07 XT225, '12 NC700x
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Dear all.
Thank you very much for your replies.
No it is miles, we dont use kilometers in England.
I have replaced the battery. I dont think it is stale fuel as i did 1,000.00 miles in 3 days going to and from the Dutch Moto GP.
The funny thing is i didnt have any problems in Belgium, France, or Holland.
It was low mileage when i bought it. It came from Wales where it rains a lot.
Thanks again.
Kind regards Bernard
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:49 AM
Farkle Trainee

I had a 2008 model that suffered this way, eventually not starting at all. I’d bought it when it was a couple of years old and it evidently had been left outside over winter (UK winters are extremely wet) albeit covered so as to protect obvious parts. What seems to have happened is that the dampness seeped into the electrics with the result that, to quote the dealer, the wiring harness was ‘knackered’. He ended up just replacing the whole lot, though I daresay judicious cleaning would achieve the same result.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:48 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
have you only filled up once since back in uk? are you running 95 or 98 ? as said it could be electrical, maybe bad earths, they do suffer the earth spider issue and if its been outside could be related.

2013 FJR1300 Gen 11, ex BTP, back in service trim.
2014 FJR1300 Gen 111, ex Dyfed Powys.
2007 YZF Raptor 700, road legal.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:35 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubfjr View Post
Late model registration common in UK, 2015 model reg'ed as 2016. I'm not sure Yamaha had ever sorted fuelling on FI bikes. All yams ive riden with fi have had "stumbles" at constant low speed/rpm. Apart from a remap you learn to ride around it and replace the clutch..
With the advent of the Series III bike, MamaYama seems to have solved the EFI fueling issues. From desert flatlands to mountains, mine has worked flawlessly.

Before they finished construction of I-35E through Dallas recently, I got caught in "rush-hour" (why do they call it that?) traffic while returning from Houston. Twice, it took me over an hour to cover the last 10 highway miles. Aside from really wishing I had a 2016 S&A clutch, the EFI worked perfectly.
passx and 2GENAE like this.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have owned a couple of Yamahas where the fueling was not perfect, the Super Tenere was one. My’14 FJR is a s close to perfect out of the box as you can get. I know fuel mapping is different in the US than in the EU as a stock R1 there makes more horsepower and has a smoother throttle than here. At least that was the case before Euro 4 maybe now they’re all the same. Regardless it has nothing to do with Studiomaster’s problem as the mapping in the bike didn’t change between trips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page