2020 fjr1300 - Page 7 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 12:15 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Delurk and first post!

After wanting to join the FJR club for a long time, my 2020 ES is on order. The dealer tells me to expect it in March. I picked up my first order of accessories today: top case and mount, frame sliders, and touring windscreen!
NealC, FJR16fan and kukablack like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 06:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Which top case and mount? It matters! You may need to consider getting a Stiffy.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 03:32 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
On a lark I went looking for something that might replace my FJR. Nothing at Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki or Indian caught my eye. Closest was BMW R1250RT optioned out to $25,000 for cruise control. But, BMW is offering a $1000 incentive to sweeten the deal!

Iím underwhelmed.

The Indian FTR1200S would start to be interesting if it had belt drive, hard bags, and wind/weather protection.

I don't know why people throw the R1250RT into comparisons with an FJR. They are very different kinds of bikes, look at them next to an FJR or Concourse 14 and it's visible. Sit on them back to back and it's more apparent. Probably the only metric bike that ever competed with the R1100/R1150/1200RT/R1250RT directly was the Honda ST1100/1300. The K1300/K1600GT are BMWs true sport tourers.

post #64 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 04:30 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Which top case and mount? It matters! You may need to consider getting a Stiffy.
No worries - he'll likely have one just riding the bike!

(Sorry...I couldn't help myself... )
Bill Lumberg, FjrjrF and jjscsix like this.
post #65 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady28 View Post
I don't know why people throw the R1250RT into comparisons with an FJR. They are very different kinds of bikes, look at them next to an FJR or Concourse 14 and it's visible. Sit on them back to back and it's more apparent. Probably the only metric bike that ever competed with the R1100/R1150/1200RT/R1250RT directly was the Honda ST1100/1300. The K1300/K1600GT are BMWs true sport tourers.
That is an interesting statement. I did a 100 mile test ride on a RT1200 almost exactly a year ago. At the time I owned my second 1600 GT and was looking to get something lighter and cheaper. Even though I decided against the RT, I don't agree with you.

If that is your decision, fine. But saying you don't see how other people compare it to an FJR is like you are some sort of authority. I think it easily competes with the other bikes. They all have pros and cons, but that allows people to chose the one that best suits their preferences. I don't even remotely get you comment "just sit on,them...". The RT site as well or better. In fact, it felt a lot like my 1600 on the showroom floor.

BTW, I'm on my second FJR, had two 1600s, a Concours 14, and an ST1300. I guess I should state that I have also owned two GL1800 Goldwings, but only for two up riding. I actually did my long trips on the ST bikes. I don't claim to be an authority, but having owned all those bikes does give me more insite than most on the options available.
N4HHE likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT

Last edited by jjscsix; 11-24-2019 at 04:51 PM.
post #66 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 04:58 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
That is an interesting statement. I did a 100 mile test ride on a RT1200 almost exactly a year ago. At the time I owned my second 1600 GT and was looking to get something lighter and cheaper. Even though I decided against the RT, I don't agree with you.

If that is your decision, fine. But saying you don't see how other people compare it to an FJR is like you are some sort of authority. I think it easily competes with the other bikes. They all have pros and cons, but that allows people to chose the one that best suits their preferences. I don't even remotely get you comment "just sit on,them...". The RT site as well or better. In fact, it felt a lot like my 1600 on the showroom floor.

BTW, I'm on my second FJR, had two 1600s, a Concours 14, and an ST1300. I guess I should state that I have also owned two GL1800 Goldwings, but only for two up riding. I actually did my long trips on the ST bikes. I don't claim to be an authority, but having owned all those bikes does give me more insite than most on the options available.

With all those bikes, it sounds to me like you donít know what you like. Or maybe you keep making bad decisions.

Either way, the FJR is a significantly different bike from the R1200RT. They are clearly built for different purposes. Thatís why BMW has a different bike, the K series, and the F850GT for that matter. (Because they are different, if you didnít catch that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #67 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 05:00 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I went directly from an RT to an FJR. I was appalled at how big a step down in ergonomics and wind protection (and suspension, to an extent) the FJR was from the BMW. Properly adjusting the suspension would help things. But different riding gear, and aftermarket seat and risers and shield would be necessary to get even an approximation of the ergos and wind management of the RT. That’s just my experience going directly from one to the other. The FJR was an amazing step
up in power and speed and reliability. I feared going on long trips on the BMW it broke down so frequently. I will take a trip on a whim with the FJR. I liked it so much I bought another. Don’t know how to make my preference between the two any clearer. . They are both sport tourers, and directly compete for my dollar. I’d consider the K1600 to be competing with a Goldwing or Yamahas new air cooled cruiser. Not an RT or FJR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post

Myfjr and dcumpian like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 11-24-2019 at 05:30 PM.
post #68 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 06:29 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
They are both sport tourers, and directly compete for my dollar. Iíd consider the K1600 to be competing with a Goldwing or Yamahas new air cooled cruiser. Not an RT or FJR.
Totally agree. I've ridden all three and to me the RT compares to the FJR. K1600GT would be the closest of the K bikes to the FJR but still I felt right at home on the 1250RT.

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
Gone 2016 Harley Davidson Fat Bob
post #69 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 06:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfjr View Post
Totally agree. I've ridden all three and to me the RT compares to the FJR. K1600GT would be the closest of the K bikes to the FJR but still I felt right at home on the 1250RT.
I completely agree, to the extent that I was all set to buy an RT1250 this time last year. Awesome bike, with finally an engine to compete with the FJR. Only reason I didnít buy was that my wife found the pillion less comfortable than the FJR.
Myfjr likes this.
post #70 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 07:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosco View Post
I completely agree, to the extent that I was all set to buy an RT1250 this time last year. Awesome bike, with finally an engine to compete with the FJR. Only reason I didnít buy was that my wife found the pillion less comfortable than the FJR.
Thats interesting. I was wondering about pillion comfort when I test rode the RT last spring. I may test ride again in the spring and bring the wife along. What specifically did she find bothered her?

I'm guessing true pillion comfort would be best on a K bike.

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
Gone 2016 Harley Davidson Fat Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page