I am selling my FJR - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:08 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I hate to hear of anyone giving up their passion. But I completely understand where you are coming from. Hoping you all the best
Uncle Meat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

I'm just going to throw this out there as health guru.

I'm no medical expert whatsoever but I do feel the brain become more foggy as we age due to inflammation, technically age should not effect your concentration. There are lots of things you can do like change your diet and take supplements to clarify your thoughts and actions on the bike.
bounce likes this.

2011 FJR1300A
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
I'm just going to throw this out there as health guru.

I'm no medical expert whatsoever but I do feel the brain become more foggy as we age due to inflammation, technically age should not effect your concentration. There are lots of things you can do like change your diet and take supplements to clarify your thoughts and actions on the bike.
In my decades of riding I have always found near-death experiences help clarify my thoughts.

Seriously, one can only fight Father Time for so long. It is a losing battle 100% of the time. One of the things that really hit me is when I finally reached Brookings OR, at my brother in-laws house, where my two daughters drove up from the Bay Area with the kids, how much I enjoyed being around them. For me riding has always been a solitary activity, almost religious in a retreat sort of way regardless of who I was riding with. And here in Brookings I had two kids 5 and 3 who wanted to sit with me and read to them. It was then I realized that my hobby, if not performed if a very exacting nature, was taking me away from my family in the sort and maybe the long run. This period of time, with the kids at this age is a very fleeting time. I realized I don't want to miss it.

I felt at one with my grandkids and no longer felt so on the bike. This was also part of it. This may be difficult to understand.
klwhitacre, FJRat and wheaton like this.

My first car was a motorcycle.

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I think we tend to balance the risks of riding with what we perceive the value of our lives to be. If we love to ride it's worth the risk. Then one day you may realize that your life means to others than to yourself then the internal battle begins.

My youngest is a senior in high school and is playing football. He's been playing since he was little and it means the world to him. Without telling my family, I decided to park the FJR until after the season is over. I just couldn't imagine something happening that would cause him to walk out onto that field without me in the stands. Once something like that creeps into your mind it's hard to get rid of it.

I thought as I got older I would be needed less. Now it's not just my kids and wife who need me but my parents are aging and I've got to be there for them.

I expect I'll do the same over the next year or so. I'd like to make a trip to Colorado before I sell it but who knows. I'll probably keep riding though but I'll probably switch back to dirt bikes/dual sports. Less traffic, less speed.

Anyway, I understand where the OP is coming from. Everyone has to make that decision on their own and what's right for one person may not be right for another.
klwhitacre, wheaton and Uncle Meat like this.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I understand being away from your family. I feel guilty going on trips and having all the fun and leaving them behind but I have one question to ask. And this can go to all of you hard butt guys. How do you manage to take a 3000 mile trip. Where do you stay over nite? How many miles to you put in each day? Dont you stop to smell the roses/ see the scenery? Take time to camp? Sit around the camp fire? I just cant wrap my mind around a 3000 mile trip. I rode 8 hrs one day and I was ready to get off. I pitched a tent in the evening and got up early and broke it down and loaded it up and was on the road again. Is that the way you do it? If I camp I want to sit around the fire and enjoy. Id like to hear from as many of you that would like to help me with this.
RaYzerman and Uncle Meat like this.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwhite184 View Post
I have one question to ask. And this can go to all of you hard butt guys. How do you manage to take a 3000 mile trip. Where do you stay over nite? How many miles to you put in each day? Dont you stop to smell the roses/ see the scenery?
On my trips I always stay in hotels that I book far before the trip to avoid looking for a place to stay. When I was much younger I would camp, but these days I want a shower and nice bed. I do route planning for each day which includes each food and fuel stop as well as the hotel. If there is somewhere I want to stop to take in the scenery, I also plan for that. As an example, for the golden spike museum in Promontory Point, Utah, I budgeted two hours. For the Grand Canyon, I spent 3 hours. Mount Rushmore was 2 hours, but I have been there before. Sometimes you see something and just stop. If that may happen, my planning is more toward 8 hours road time (not including food and fuel).

Planned travel time per day is 8 to 10 hours. I no longer plan for miles per day since some roads are slower and others faster with nothing to see.

The more I can plan in advance results in a better organized trip including a hotel where I can walk to a restaurant for dinner and breakfast (if the hotel has not included it).

I actually get a lot of enjoyment just riding and seeing stuff while I ride. So I do my best to stay off the Interstate highways and keep to two lane roads that are less traveled.

An SS1k is a completely separate trip. I don't sight see.
Uncle Meat likes this.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Last edited by rspyder; 09-10-2019 at 01:57 PM.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I don't do the LD thing, stay off interstates as much as possible, too much to see. I prefer to ride wherever, enjoy the scenes and twisties at my pace. Will put together a plan I think we can keep, and 99% of the time on a multi week trip, you may not keep your schedule... haven't had any trouble finding accomodations usually, but at the latest, book something the night before. Occasionally I will book further in advance if there's a weekend or long weekend or special event coming up in the area.... don't forget to arrange a set of tires somewhere if you need to, last minute ones are more expensive.
Uncle Meat likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Meat View Post
In my decades of riding I have always found near-death experiences help clarify my thoughts.

Seriously, one can only fight Father Time for so long. It is a losing battle 100% of the time. One of the things that really hit me is when I finally reached Brookings OR, at my brother in-laws house, where my two daughters drove up from the Bay Area with the kids, how much I enjoyed being around them. For me riding has always been a solitary activity, almost religious in a retreat sort of way regardless of who I was riding with. And here in Brookings I had two kids 5 and 3 who wanted to sit with me and read to them. It was then I realized that my hobby, if not performed if a very exacting nature, was taking me away from my family in the sort and maybe the long run. This period of time, with the kids at this age is a very fleeting time. I realized I don't want to miss it.

I felt at one with my grandkids and no longer felt so on the bike. This was also part of it. This may be difficult to understand.

I can totally relate to the Bolded.

Many folks to whom I say that I spend three months a Summer on the road riding my bike up-n-down the country immediately respond with a "Oh that's cool" type of comment. I do not find touring on a motorcycle to be very glamorous as many non-riders imagine. I tend to see it a spiritual retreat also. On my many years on the road I have experienced contentment, frustration, fear of weather, tiredness, loneliness... I don't listen to music while I ride so I mostly pray or think or both.

Typically, I feel riding long influences my character in a positive way. If you wanna put it in these words: 'I get closer to God' because in the solitude of these events, there is nothing to do but look around and/or face yourself.

I don't really know why I do it. Its like a fever or an obsession of sorts. I usually don't have that much of what people call "fun" in my tours. But I do experience the stirring of the Spirit for sure.
Uncle Meat likes this.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:14 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ride your ride. Do what works for you. To each his/her/its own. Different strokes for different folks.

When folks ask about riding in general, distances, camping vs motels, etc. I always say stuff like that adding that every thing isn't for every body and, like clothing & seats & wind shields, you kind of figure it out as you go along. There's no wrong way to do it.

Ride more, stress less.
FJRat, Acpantera and Uncle Meat like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Ride your ride. Do what works for you. To each his/her/its own. Different strokes for different folks.

When folks ask about riding in general, distances, camping vs motels, etc. I always say stuff like that adding that every thing isn't for every body and, like clothing & seats & wind shields, you kind of figure it out as you go along. There's no wrong way to do it.

Ride more, stress less.
Ditto this! learn as you go. Bring some money with ya, and buy what you think you want and discard or send back home the stuff you brought but realized you don't need.
Uncle Meat likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page