Ways to improve tire life? - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Beamo I think you answered your own question; IMHO yes you should get a lighter bike that is more suitable for your sporty / aggresive style of riding, FJR is simply too heavy and if you're gunning it, it will eat the tires quick (er)...or better yet have a second (sport) bike beside the Sport Touring FJR 🙂
Here's an idea:
Get a trailer and tow a lighter, sportier bike behind the FJR to use when you get to the twisties.

Hey, I didn't say it was a good idea . . .

Seriously though, I seem to be easier on tires than most of you. I had only about 4000 miles on them when I pulled them. Still had about 50% of their life left. Didn't like the way they felt. Got about 12000 miles out of the rear T30 and 16000 out of the front. A lot of highway roads that year. I am running about 10 - 12k a year. On the other hand, I ride like an old man. (I'm over 70.)

I am running 40F/42R tire pressure.
N4HHE likes this.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:12 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acpantera View Post
Just a word of warning, as a guy that changes his own tires and most the tires of our riding group. The Contimotion tire is a very inexpensive tire and it is a very light tire, the carcass is so very flexible compared to all other ST type tires I have changed. I have used them myself on my lighter bike (R1200R) but I would NEVER put them on a heavy powerful ST like the FJR, not even if you paid me to put them on your FJR. I'm a bargoon shopper when it comes to tires, but the Contimotion is not a safe spec for the Bikes north of 600# and 125hp.
I have a shot Michelin R5 I should cut up and post pictures. Cords not showing but is paper thin.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:57 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
I scratch myself all the time when I ride. Not as constantly as a certain "sector" guy from the Big City but pretty often .......

I'm thinking this is one of those Queen's vs. Colony Engrish things.
No nothing like that mate i have no pride in me for being british - just the opposite. I prefer the US FJR forum thats why ive been a member since 2006

And the Queen well she and her extended family are just a money pit that the poor pay for.

As for scratching i love it on the FJR you can hustle the old girl around those bends and surprise people on sports bikes. Even two up my other half loves the twisties. Mind you i do get through tyres riding this way but my bike is for fun only - that is why i have a MT10SP joining the FJR in the garage, being delivered today

My R1 was not the best riding position for me so with great sadness i had to face im not the youngest or the healthiest person i used to be so the R1 has now gone
STump likes this.

05 FJR Silver & Blue

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:31 AM
FJR Top Gun

A few years back I mounted a new set of tires and took the bike on a trip. With 4000 miles on them I had about half the tread life left -- 4/32" above the wear bar on the rear.

Then I went on a NoMoSno ride in Arkansas. Trip over, the ride itself, and trip back would be less than 1000 miles. I didn't give tires a second thought.

I had cord showing before the second day's ride was complete -- 4000 miles on the first half of that set of tires, less then 500 to cord.

It's definitely the right wrist.
bounce likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:34 AM
Farkle Trainee

Another suggestion....I read a lot of forums and see a lot of folks saying they ride tight twisty roads in second or third gear. I love twisties as much as anyone, and as I said, I actually road raced competitively for a few years. But I don’t see a need to accelerate off a corner so hard that I need the lowest possible gear. Ride up a gear or two. It will actually make you a better rider. Smoother is actually faster in many cases. I learned that auto crossing cars many years ago.
Mr_Ed, Little Joe and mobilemike like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 11:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Riding in a lower gear in severe twisties has nothing to do with needing to accelerate off a corner hard...
wheaton likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Riding in a lower gear in severe twisties has nothing to do with needing to accelerate off a corner hard...
I know where you are going with that comment. You are obviously welcome to do what you think best.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:11 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
There are certainly some very tight hairpin curves that require slow speed and lower gears to keep enough power to the rear wheel to keep the bike upright but that has nothing to do with powering out of a lesser curve in a lower gear and chewing up your tires. Those are the curves where using a higher gear will give you some longer tire life--if you really care about that.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 KTM Super Duke R
2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yep. You either deal with it or you don't. If you don't "want" to manage your right wrist, then you have no reason to grouse about tread life.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

I wonder how much road surfaces play into tire wear. I would think some road surfaces scrub tires a lot more than others.
N4HHE likes this.

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in