Do I have a problem? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By rbentnail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Do I have a problem?

I was just getting ready to head out on a ride, and noticed evidence of an oil leak on the center stand. Further investigation lead me to believe it's coming from the final out of the engine. You can see where I've wiped with my finger in a couple of pics. It looks like it's been leaking very slowly over a long time and extends to the nut on the side stand. It's quite dry.

I bought this 2017 in March with 5100 miles on it. I've only put another 1100 on it since then. It seems a little premature to develop leaks. I admit that I just noticed it today, but it looks like it's been working on this mess for a while.

Is this atypical, given the miles on the bike? Is this something to address before heading out to Colorado in a couple of weeks?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Center and side stand.jpg (213.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Center stand low back.jpg (145.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Low from rear.jpg (188.4 KB, 34 views)

Current rides:
2017 Raven ES
2002 Concours (for sale)
Formers:
1991 VFR750
1984 KZ700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:29 AM
Farkle Trainee

Mine has 50K on it and looks cleaner than that. Something seems amiss for that low mileage.

If you can't find an obvious leak, you may have to thoroughly clean everything under there and start monitoring.

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:21 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Do I have a problem?

Armstrong,

Once you get the oily areas very clean, spray those places (and any suspected sources of the leak) with an aerosol body-powder spray. The powder will show the oil leak soonest, before the oil can go everywhere. If your oil level is not dropping, the leak may be more of a nuisance than a problem.

Look into the plastic cowlings below the oil filter, also. Oil lost during any past oil filter changes can puddle in there, and come out later, under acceleration. Clean out any old oil found in there. I use some heavy aluminum foil, bent to shape, to channel any wayward oil out beyond the bottom cowling, during an oil filter change. HTH.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:15 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It's not at all unusual for seals to weep when not being used for long periods. In our spare parts rooms at work the attendants are required to rotate all motor and gearbox shafts once per month for just this reason.

Also: I have no idea if your Gen3 is like my Gen2 but my radiator overflow tank overflow tube ends down there, behind the plastic under the oil filter. Sometimes it's hard to tell what the ooze is after it's collected grit.

The above-suggested body power spray is the perfect answer but I'd bet if you'd ride it more regularly this would be a non-issue.
bounce and FjrjrF like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:44 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Agree with all the above... have to trace back to the source. Eyeball the middle gear housing while you're at it, they can have a slight weep.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Because I have the Colorado trip two weeks away, and because I'm not all that familiar with this bike yet, I had it looked at. The shop's answer aligned with the general consensus here: slow weeper - nothing to worry about. I hope that it does seal up with more riding time. I'll keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get worse.

Current rides:
2017 Raven ES
2002 Concours (for sale)
Formers:
1991 VFR750
1984 KZ700

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page