Opinions on stepping up to an FJR from the FZ6 baby brother. - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thank you to everyone for treating me like one of your own and that goes a long way in my book. Being brand new to the forums, I was expecting half the replies to be flames and other asshat comments but I didn't get one. I value my friend's opinions on why he thinks I'm capable to step up to the FJR but I really wanted other owner's input and you all came through. I know more of what to look for when it's time to start shopping and have a much better understanding of how the bike will perform and feel. Thank you all and until I can officially post a picture of my bike and my location, I'll be staying around to lurk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:26 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Something you probably already know, and I didn't see it mentioned here is the rear shock. On my 08', there's a lever to adjust soft-firm for when you do have a passenger. I ride solo so I never use it. My friend Tyler has a 06' and rides two up with his wife often. He said the factory rear shock was done when he bought his fjr with 40K miles. He installed a Wilbers Nivomat rear shock and he and his wife are very pleased with it. He said it was spendy but worth it.
If your worried a sport touring bike won't be as sporty as the fz, Tyler and his friend Tim will put that concern to rest. They ride the wheels off their bikes! Here's a video Tim took while I was down visiting a few weeks back. Tyler dialed it back but still set a good pace during this section. I took up the rear as I was still getting use to my new to me fjr, but I do make a appearance starting around the 6:19 mark. Tim even threw in the picture of my bike with Bigfoot at Happy Camp CA :-) . Tyler led the ride out on his fjr, followed by his friend Ronnie on a gsxr 750, then Tim on his Honda ST1300. Ronnie even went out and bought a 08' FJR a few weeks later.

https://youtu.be/CzucTuDjEEw
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gelber View Post
Thank you to everyone for treating me like one of your own and that goes a long way in my book. Being brand new to the forums, I was expecting half the replies to be flames and other asshat comments but I didn't get one. I value my friend's opinions on why he thinks I'm capable to step up to the FJR but I really wanted other owner's input and you all came through. I know more of what to look for when it's time to start shopping and have a much better understanding of how the bike will perform and feel. Thank you all and until I can officially post a picture of my bike and my location, I'll be staying around to lurk.

Don't be so naÔve! You bit hook, line and sinker. The flames and asshat comments are being held back until AFTER you buy the FJR!

I strongly recommend you attend an FJR gathering somewhere. There are several, they are all over this continent. You will see them posted on all 3 forums. You would be amazed at how wonderful many of these folks really are when you meet them in person. Of course some of them suck...

I did mention the rear shock but I did forget to mention aftermarket options. I am not a fan of lowering the suspension on an FJR but each to his own. I just learn to deal with the fact that my legs are too short to flat foot. Again, if that were the criteria almost no one would be able to buy a modern dirt bike. Who can flat foot one of those?

@jjscsix I do owe you full disclosure. I do still own the BMW motorcycle. I think the BMW faction and the Harley faction have a lot in common. Those that don't own one are pretty ignorant of what they really are and what they are really capable of but they focus on the negative stuff they hear. I know for a fact that valve checks are easier on my oilhead BMW than on my FJR.

Also, Mrs. Redfish really, really loved that little BMW. During the Final Battle she responded to my argument with, "Yes but when it is running it runs really well!" But even Mrs. Redfish got tired of paying for repairs that cost thousands and having a relatively new car leaking oil under her carport.
jjscsix likes this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

I got to agree that routine maintenance on an oilhead (R1100RSL) is easier than on an FJR actually much easier with much less to actually do. I don't think this would be the case on a new beemer and I would for sure take a pass on one of their new bikes. Just not going there. I would like to at least test ride one of the new RTs just to say I did nothing more. It's having to do with trust and I trust my FJR.
Redfish likes this.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:06 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gelber View Post
Forget about crushing my legs...you're crushing my dreams. On my friend's FJR with the seat at the lowest position, just like him, I'm on the balls of my feet. Like I said in the original post, I'm on the balls of my feet on the FZ6 until my wife gets on and then I'm flat-footed but, I know the added weight and size of the FJR is a different ball game. I guess I just see my friend with the same issue and he's okay with it (even though he's got 40+ years more riding experience than me). If that's a real concern and a potential deal breaker, didn't someone mention the FJR can be lowered?

I'm an honest, no bullshit kind of guy. If you're looking for someone that will tell you what you want to hear, they're not hard to find.

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gen2 View Post
I'm an honest, no bullshit kind of guy. If you're looking for someone that will tell you what you want to hear, they're not hard to find.

I couldn't agree more! You should call out some of these folks that are just telling him what he wants to hear! List their names!

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:58 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I couldn't agree more! You should call out some of these folks that are just telling him what he wants to hear! List their names!

Well, there's Donald Trump, and...

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

😳😳🙄🙄🙄🤬🤬🤬

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:22 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I made that same upgrade 2 years ago. Sold my 2009 fz6, and bought a 2016 fjr. Not 1 moment of regret, wish I could have made the change sooner.
jjscsix likes this.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:34 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Best bet is the FJR1300 . Easy to ride, more room, more comfy. In many ways easier to ride as a single rider or two up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page