Opinions on stepping up to an FJR from the FZ6 baby brother. - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Yes, that is Gen2 range. Excellent bikes.

The "spider bite" was a term invented by members of the fjrforum. The ground wires in various locations on the bike came together in single connectors. They looked somewhat like a spider. There were too many wires/too weak connectors/corrosion issues that led to loss of ground for various components. A bad or poor ground can be very hard to trace and can have disastrous effects. By '08 this was supposed to be mostly fixed but there are intermittent reports of later model bikes with grounding issues. The locations and the repairs are well documented on fjrforum and probably on this forum as well. Not a deal breaker.

I've seen some 2010s out there within my range so I'll try my best to hang within that range. Ty.
Redfish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gen2 View Post
if you can not firmly put your feet on the ground, I say do not buy a FJR, or any other bike.

Forget about crushing my legs...you're crushing my dreams. On my friend's FJR with the seat at the lowest position, just like him, I'm on the balls of my feet. Like I said in the original post, I'm on the balls of my feet on the FZ6 until my wife gets on and then I'm flat-footed but, I know the added weight and size of the FJR is a different ball game. I guess I just see my friend with the same issue and he's okay with it (even though he's got 40+ years more riding experience than me). If that's a real concern and a potential deal breaker, didn't someone mention the FJR can be lowered?
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gelber View Post
My eyes are wide open to look at other brands but I keep slobbering every time I ride with my friend and his FJR. I'd rather stay in the Jap brands area because (and prove me wrong) I hear they're more expensive when it comes to maintenance. I know that's the case with BMW cars which two of my friends have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gelber View Post
* Fix. I hear BMW and similar bikes are move expensive.
I have owned three BMW motorcycles and two cars. Two of the motorcycles were 1600s, and my current car is a 540. Believe it or not, the maintenance is no worse, and maybe even be better for the BMW. The intervals on the BMW motorcycles are 6,000 miles vs 4,000 for the FJR. Most services are around $300 for the BMW. I've never had one done on a Yamaha as I do it myself. But with the different service intervals it can't be any cheaper on a FJR I would not think. Also, BMW motorcycles have a three year warranty.

BMW cars have a four year warranty and free routine maintanence for three years.
Greg Gelber likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

@Greg Gelber I do have some more opinions. And they are worth what you pay for them.

The rear shock and rear spring are much better after '13. For a two up bike, that should be a consideration. The post '13 shock complete with its spring is a direct replacement, it bolts right up. Any Gen2 should be in need of a suspension refresh anyway if it has much over 30K miles. Obviously if you can afford a '14 or later with the electronic suspension...

As I said earlier, flat footing a bike is NOT a necessity for everyone. Some folks feel they need it, some folks know they don't. Quite frankly if being able to flat foot a bike were any part of my buying criteria I would just have to give up riding. The motorcycles I want to ride happen to be taller than my legs will reach. If being able to flat foot is important to you, that's fine. Learning to work around it might be even better.

I am sure BMW makes some wonderful motorcycles. I am sure BMW makes some wonderful cars. Sadly, my personal experience has been Very Bad on both. BMW really pushes their lease program for their cars. That keeps the "buyer" in a car that is always under warranty. After dealing with a metric ton of misery with a 2011 328i we bought brand new, we gave up on BMW. My wife now drives an Infiniti that is much faster and only goes to the dealership for oil changes and maintenance. I never needed a motorcycle trailer until I was given a BMW motorcycle. Now I get a lot of use out of a motorcycle trailer.

Good luck. I bet you are learning the misery of asking for an opinion on a motorcycle forum.
jjscsix, Aroxx and Greg Gelber like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:19 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to MrZappo
I'm 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam. I've been on the balls of my feet on my FJR since 2008 and 100k miles.

Dropped her once. Off camber street at a stop sign with gravel. Bad combo. Won't do that again.

She landed on the frame slider. No worries.

Other than that, a great bike that I have never had any trouble handling.

You don't need to be able to flat foot the bike. It would be nice. But not required.

If I followed that advice, it be riding a Vespa.

Get some sliders and maybe some bag guards if you are worried and have at it.

I love my FJR even thought she is a little tall. Heck my KLR is taller. But ill admit that she gets dropped regularly.

And she likes it !
Greg Gelber likes this.

Workin' them angels overtime ...
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Greg, I mentioned that you can lower the bike, it is relatively easy to do, I lowered mine 1/2” front and rear and will say that it’s going to take a lot to scrape anything. I narrowed my chicken strip’s up a bunch this past weekend and never touched anything down, and I keep my “A” model set to the plush side of things.

Lowering it for me gave me the ability to flat foot the bike and also the ability to better manage the top heaviness in about any situation but as Red above said many run them off the balls of their feet w/o any issues. Several here are fairly short (ferret comes to mind) and put a lot more miles than most, no problems.

I will add That you should feel free to post ANY questions you have here and know you’l get Honest unbias’d Opinions back but truthfully it boils down to your decision only, if it makes you smile then that’s what you should do,,,,,, screw anyone who has a problem with that.
Greg Gelber likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:34 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
unbiasíd Opinions
I think those two words are mutually exclusive.

But seriously, this forum is chock full of good information.
Greg Gelber likes this.

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:45 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
@Greg Gelber I do have some more opinions. And they are worth what you pay for them.

The rear shock and rear spring are much better after '13. For a two up bike, that should be a consideration. The post '13 shock complete with its spring is a direct replacement, it bolts right up. Any Gen2 should be in need of a suspension refresh anyway if it has much over 30K miles. Obviously if you can afford a '14 or later with the electronic suspension...

As I said earlier, flat footing a bike is NOT a necessity for everyone. Some folks feel they need it, some folks know they don't. Quite frankly if being able to flat foot a bike were any part of my buying criteria I would just have to give up riding. The motorcycles I want to ride happen to be taller than my legs will reach. If being able to flat foot is important to you, that's fine. Learning to work around it might be even better.

I am sure BMW makes some wonderful motorcycles. I am sure BMW makes some wonderful cars. Sadly, my personal experience has been Very Bad on both. BMW really pushes their lease program for their cars. That keeps the "buyer" in a car that is always under warranty. After dealing with a metric ton of misery with a 2011 328i we bought brand new, we gave up on BMW. My wife now drives an Infiniti that is much faster and only goes to the dealership for oil changes and maintenance. I never needed a motorcycle trailer until I was given a BMW motorcycle. Now I get a lot of use out of a motorcycle trailer.

Good luck. I bet you are learning the misery of asking for an opinion on a motorcycle forum.
I agree that flat footing is not totally needed.

While it sounded like I was supporting BMWs, I was mostly clarifying the maintenance cost issue. I do not want one out of warranty. While mine had more problems than Iíve had on Japanese bikes, they were not horrible and none of them stranded me. But yes, there is a reason why Iím back on an FJR. I plan to put a lot of miles on it!
Greg Gelber likes this.

Jim
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZappo View Post
I'm 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam. I've been on the balls of my feet on my FJR since 2008 and 100k miles.

Dropped her once. Off camber street at a stop sign with gravel. Bad combo. Won't do that again.

She landed on the frame slider. No worries.

Other than that, a great bike that I have never had any trouble handling.

You don't need to be able to flat foot the bike. It would be nice. But not required.

If I followed that advice, it be riding a Vespa.

Get some sliders and maybe some bag guards if you are worried and have at it.

I love my FJR even thought she is a little tall. Heck my KLR is taller. But ill admit that she gets dropped regularly.

And she likes it !
i’m 5’9” on a good day with a 30” inseam and totally agree with you. I have a combined 56,000 miles on two FJRs with one drop. That was because I did not get the side stand down fully before beginning my award winning dismount
Greg Gelber likes this.

Jim
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
As I said earlier, flat footing a bike is NOT a necessity for everyone. Some folks feel they need it, some folks know they don't. Quite frankly if being able to flat foot a bike were any part of my buying criteria I would just have to give up riding.

Fantastic point. Being on the balls of my feet with my FZ6 is no issue at all so I'm quite sure I can adjust to the FJR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page