Opinions on stepping up to an FJR from the FZ6 baby brother. - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:51 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blchandl2 View Post
The FJR is definitely better suited for 2-up riding and long trips.
I can't speak for 2-up riding, because I am a solo rider, but it excels on long trips. You may need to add some ergo mods (risers, seat. and windshield) though. It has good range and it eats regular gas. I can squeeze over 300 miles out of the 6.5 gallon fuel tank if I ride "sensibly" at a steady 60 - 65 mph. OTOH, who buys an FJR to putter around at 60 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig61 View Post
FJR - 2014 or later. 2013 cruise control maxes at ~82mph. Get a Russell Day Long seat. If you get a top box, make sure it is comfortable for your wife and doesn't push her forward. You'll want risers - search to see which will move the handlebars the way you expect to need. New windshield as you feel fit.

Any motorcycle - ABS. It's saved my bacon half a dozen times, most of which I didn't expect to need ABS but there was something on the ground.... Tip-over bars will save your plastic.
I have missed the 2014+ cruise control only once - that time I spent tearing across North Dakota at 100 mph for about 1.5 hours. Mostly, 80+ mph is . . . good enough.

In five years, I have never needed ABS, although TC has kicked in twice.
Greg Gelber likes this.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

I cannot add much but will chime in. I'm a speed freak and sport bike guy. I'm also fortunate enough to have three bikes. So I like bikes that serve a purpose for me with as much sport as I can get. My FJR is my long distance "sport" bike.

To add to the Goldwing supporters, it is far and away the best two up bike. I had two of them, but ONLY for two up riding. The bike literally does not feel any different with or without a passenger. I would still have one if my wife rode with me, but she has not been on the back of a bike in nearly five years now. They are also as close to bullet proof as you can get, as is the FJR. But for solo riding you could not give me one.

I am on my second FJR, but I had a few bikes in between the two. I highly recommend it. As to which year, any year that has cruise control. I will never buy a bike again without it.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

The FJR is a big boy toy. If you buy one, you best BE a big boy, not a wannabe.

You sound like a responsible person. My first bike was a 650 Triumph tiger. I just got on it, and rode it. I did not worry about anything. If the times were different - like today - there might have been a problem...

HOWEVER, if you can not firmly put your feet on the ground, I say do not buy a FJR, or any other bike. I sold a c-14, mainly for that reason. I am long-legged BUT still, I am very careful about where I stop and where my feet go when I stop. A little gravel is all it takes. Dropping a FJR, or any sport tourer, is ASTRONOMICALLY expensive, and worse, if the [email protected]#$% falls on your leg it hurts, and maybe breaks some bones.

The combination of an unplanned and awkward stop and unsure footing when you make that stop will happen. It happens to me (not every day, of course) and it happens to all of us. If your leg is too short (or bike is too tall - whatever) you have NO chance of dealing with it.

I also have a yamaha Raider S. It's a BEAST, and a truly beautiful bike. Point is, almost anybody can deal with the seat height... Tried to insert image but the stupid thing won't do it.
Greg Gelber likes this.

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)

Last edited by Blue Gen2; 08-11-2019 at 09:16 AM.

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

What happened to the OP? Where did he go?

Corbin seats are hard. Some folks love them, some folks don't. I don't care for them personally. A true custom seat is always better than an off the shelf seat and the cost is about the same.

Yeah, GoldWings are comfy but so are the big Harleys. Check out the passenger accommodations on the back of a Harley Ultra Classic. They are wonderful on the stock seat, no aftermarket fix is necessary.

Regarding "flat footing"... I met a gentleman that was about 5'5" tall riding a BMW R1200GS. He told me that he was not going to let his lack of height prevent him from riding a wonderful motorcycle that he wanted to enjoy. Learn to move the bike around while standing next to it instead of sitting on it and it opens up a whole new world.

A Gen1 ('03 to '05) that has been well maintained would still be a great bike to ride anywhere you want to go. A Gen2 ('06 to '12) manages the engine heat felt by the rider better, has some upgrades and especially from '08 forward are quite reliable and are great bikes. Anything from '13 forward will have cruise control and once you use it, you are hooked. In a moment of need I could and would ride any year FJR from coast to coast. If I had my preference I would ride a '14 or newer bike. ABS is standard on all FJRs from '06 to present. The system got upgraded in '08 or '09 and the current system is excellent.
Greg Gelber likes this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Can you briefly explain spider bite? Also, I know for sure unless I find a bag of money, I'll be looking for in the 08-10 model year range.So that's gen 2 correct?
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:41 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gelber View Post
Can you briefly explain spider bite? Also, I know for sure unless I find a bag of money, I'll be looking for in the 08-10 model year range.So that's gen 2 correct?

Yes, that is Gen2 range. Excellent bikes.

The "spider bite" was a term invented by members of the fjrforum. The ground wires in various locations on the bike came together in single connectors. They looked somewhat like a spider. There were too many wires/too weak connectors/corrosion issues that led to loss of ground for various components. A bad or poor ground can be very hard to trace and can have disastrous effects. By '08 this was supposed to be mostly fixed but there are intermittent reports of later model bikes with grounding issues. The locations and the repairs are well documented on fjrforum and probably on this forum as well. Not a deal breaker.
Greg Gelber likes this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
What do your friends ride? I'll commit heresy and say that if they are on something less sporty than an FJR, that you might consider other options, such as the 2012-2017 GL1800.

The group rides all types of bikes from sport bikes, sport touring and Harleys but my main friend who's talking to me about upgrading has a 2016 FJR himself.

As far as the Goldwing, I have to say they have really come a long way in design and looks much more modern and sporty than previous years but I just have too much love for the look of the FJR and again, a big time Yamaha fan.
Redfish likes this.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Greg - don't feel too attached to Yamahas. All the Japanese brands are solid. I'd stay away from the BMWs on that count.
My eyes are wide open to look at other brands but I keep slobbering every time I ride with my friend and his FJR. I'd rather stay in the Jap brands area because (and prove me wrong) I hear they're more expensive when it comes to maintenance. I know that's the case with BMW cars which two of my friends have.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

* Fix. I hear BMW and similar bikes are move expensive.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I cannot add much but will chime in. I'm a speed freak and sport bike guy. I'm also fortunate enough to have three bikes. So I like bikes that serve a purpose for me with as much sport as I can get. My FJR is my long distance "sport" bike.

To add to the Goldwing supporters, it is far and away the best two up bike. I had two of them, but ONLY for two up riding. The bike literally does not feel any different with or without a passenger.
Without actually owning an FJR but seeing my friend Charlie bounce between his FJR and his Kawasaki 900 sport bike, he still rides the FJR hard even with his wife on the back. He's 62 years old and loves to ride hard in the twistees and the Tail of the Dragon once or twice a week and it doesn't matter which bike he takes. When he's ridin solo, he takes the Kawi and the FJR when the wife goes. Point being, to me, the FJR will fix the longer distance 2-up rides with or without the wife and, it'll still perform and feel like a sport bike. I'll be selling my beloved FZ6 to get the FJR so I'll only have one bike. I think the FJR will keep me from missing the FZ.
jjscsix likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page