New to FJR's - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The only practical way to get new cylinders with the proper coating is to buy a set of engine cases. Sure there are services that will recoat them, I was quoted nearly C$900.... cases a couple of years ago were U$1100, but they are now $2600... fergedaboutit...
Then once you start on something with that mileage, where do you stop... new pistons, rings, gaskets, crank and rod bearings, head work..... ??

Good used engines are available for a fraction of that. It cost me U$1000 for a used 2014 engine with no miles, this went into my '06 project bike. Be patient, look around, there's a good one out there somewhere.

Mine came out of a red 2014 that had been in an accident from the rear and side (I saw the pics)... too slow to get out the way, I guess, eh Steve?
passx likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:28 AM
Farkle Trainee

Lets play devils advocate. If he buys it for $2,000 the worst he can do is lose $2,000 and sell parts off of it and recoupe a portion of it. I lost more than $2,000 on mine when I rode it out of the dealership.

Iím obviously guessing at the $2,000. That would be worst case to pay for it.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedpalm View Post
Looking at an 04' with nearly 250,000 miles on it. Sounds good and owner has all maintenance records.

Any thoughts? How expensive are rebuild kits? Etc...

Must be a miss type.... 250,000 miles?! Are we talking about a Toyota Camry? I have NEVER seen an actual motorcycle with over 150,000 miles.

As far as buying it? For what? Sell it back to Yamaha for R&D?

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

There are quite a few FJRs with over 200k on te clock. I saw three in one place at the Stagecoach Cafe during the 2016 Last Ride of the Year.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:31 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
There are quite a few FJRs with over 200k on te clock. I saw three in one place at the Stagecoach Cafe during the 2016 Last Ride of the Year.

That's good to hear! My fist gen 2008 slipped a timing chain at 50,000 due to the none updated chain tensioner.

Hope my 2018 has a long life
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Well I pulled the trigger and bought it. I can always part it out if need be.
Rode it home and all is well EXCEPT, after about 10 minutes it puked some coolant out! I'm not used to the bar gauge but the last couple of bars were flashing.

The PO said he just changed the coolant. I wonder if he didn't burp the system. It never completely over heated to the point of blowing coolant and steam everywhere, just that small amount and then ran hot.

Tomorrow I'll check the levels for sure. I know some of these systems can be a pain to get all the air out.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Maybe poured the coolant in too fast and didn't give the air a chance to rise/come out. At this point, fill the rad not quite full, let it circulate as it warms up, and when the level comes up and thermostat starts to open (top off as necessary if it doesn't rise to the filler neck), put the cap on. Ensure the reservoir is filled say 3/4" above the max line, when it cools off it should suck in coolant and it will end up near the max line. Might take a couple of coolant cycles to get there.
If you haven't already, check the CCT that it has a green or blue paint dot on the flange, if it doesn't it may be the old style (can't imagine the old one is still there after that kind of mileage). Replace it very soon if no dot. If it's running well, just ride it and do regular maintenance. Nothing bad is likely to happen unless that CCT fails.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:55 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
The plated cylinders would be the problem in a rebuild. again in my opinion.
The dirtbike market keeps several cylinder platers busy. But I might question just how many FJR pistons does Yamaha have in the parts channel, worldwide?

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:34 PM
Training wheels fitted!

New to FJR's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedpalm View Post
Looking at an 04' with nearly 250,000 miles on it. Sounds good and owner has all maintenance records.

Any thoughts? How expensive are rebuild kits? Etc...
I have a 05 nearly New with less than 3,000 miles on it!!! Yes 3,000! In awesome shape with many add ones. I injured my back and could not ride it so I kept hoping to get better but not do lucky.
I’m asking $5,000 due to condition and goodies included. I posted an add a couple months ago it’s still up here somewhere.
I live in CA near Modesto/ basically between San hose and Sacramento in he valley.

Robert Donahue
San Jose, Ca
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:44 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCAFJR1300 View Post
I have a 05 nearly New with less than 3,000 miles on it!!! Yes 3,000! In awesome shape with many add ones. I injured my back and could not ride it so I kept hoping to get better but not do lucky.
Iím asking $5,000 due to condition and goodies included. I posted an add a couple months ago itís still up here somewhere.
I live in CA near Modesto/ basically between San hose and Sacramento in he valley.
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/22-...ca-6500-a.html

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page