Pirelli Angel GT Longterm - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Pirelli Angel GT Longterm

Yes, I have used the search feature and did not find what I was looking for..........has anyone used the Pirelli Angel GT A Spec tire ???? Looking for real life feedback from the group, not what tire manufacturers tell us we should get..........how did it handle, wet/dry ...... how did it wear up the middle, how many miles/km's did you get ???? Any and all feedback is appreciated ...... I have the 2018 FJR (put on the road May 2019)

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have not used it on my FJR, but have on my 1600 BMWs. I’ve used the non A spec on a couple other bikes. They handle fine, and I have gotten between 6-7,000 miles which is pretty typical for me. I’m not finding a lot of difference between it, PR5s, Roadsmart IIIs, Avon Storm etc. I have had a couple of bikes cup on the front tire with the Angel GT, mainly the 1600. But that bike was really hard on front tires and other tires cupped on that bike as well.

Overall I consider the Angel GT one of the top tier tires, but I would not pay much of a premium for it over the others. I also would only put the A spec on if you ride two up.
drduct likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I had A spec front and rear. I mainly commute and avoid riding in the wet, so I can't speak to wet or canyon carving. And I probably never had more than 75lbs of gear on the back, so the A spec was overkill.

I've also run through PR4s and currently am on Continental Road Attack 3 GT. The front PR4s wore less evenly than the Angels for me, but I pretty much don't use the rear brake and the PR4 siping means blocks bending which led to wearing one side of the siping more than the other The Angel rear has a slightly larger diameter than the PR4 or Contis so the speedo pretty much reads true at highway speeds. I don't keep precise mileage records, but I believe the Angels lasted 8K and the PR4s 9-10K. I changed them as a pair. I think the fronts could have gone longer. Must be those entrance ramps....

I've read that across the major manufacturers, motorcycle tire performance differences wet/dry/braking/cornering are low single digit %.

I would definitely go back to the Angel GT on the rear for my next change. The GT II I'm not sure about. I believe straight up-and-down grooves cause more wandering on grooved pavement. And the GT II have that.
drduct likes this.

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by drduct View Post
Yes, I have used the search feature and did not find what I was looking for..........has anyone used the Pirelli Angel GT A Spec tire ???? Looking for real life feedback from the group, not what tire manufacturers tell us we should get..........how did it handle, wet/dry ...... how did it wear up the middle, how many miles/km's did you get ???? Any and all feedback is appreciated ...... I have the 2018 FJR (put on the road May 2019)

Cheers
Hey Canada! I rode a pair of Perilli's on my '05 FJR 1300A circa 2009'ish. Yes, I know, it's been awhile. It was by far my favorite tire allowing me to dig deeper into the curves and gave me a great confidence (and I'm not a confident rider). I rode them while I lived in in Illinois so I had a great mix of dry and wet. For what this dated info is worth, I did not repeat the purchase due to cost and only obtaining circa 6,000-7,000 miles and then moved to Conti (I used to live in Germany so I wanted to support the cause, ha ha!). :--)
drduct likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:33 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Pirelli Angel GT Longterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drduct View Post
Cheers
drduct,

I have the Angel GT (Spec A), for two-up/ camping/ traveling. My used FJR came with Michelins, and the change to Pirelli was a great improvement, far beyond the usual "new tires" joy on any bike. Handling was great. These tires inspire confidence in the turns, and in braking. We seldom get heavy rains here, but I have no complaints on wet roads. I have ~6000 miles on them, and I expect maybe two or three thousand more, before they are done. I have not noticed any changes in handling or performance as they wear. Now, I refuse to buy tires by price again. HTH.
mortenk and drduct like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

drduct

Tires threads are like oil threads. Everyone has an opinion, here's mine.....lol

Keep in mind, I rarely ride freeway, and I ride 2up at least 50% of the time. I ride at a spirited pace, but not crazy.

On this 2014 FJR I have run : Bridgstone 023 (worst wearing tire, Front tire was on the wearbars at 7500km. Only set to wear out front first of all the following tires.
(1set) PR4's: Tire handled lazy, bump absorption was rough through the tire (GT). Our less than pristine Ontario roads. Worked okay, and mileage was decent (off at 15000km, rear at wear bars). Squirmy on tar snakes, and front cupped more than any other tire I have run on this bike.
Here's what you wanted feedback on: (3sets) of Pirelli GT (A spec). These are the best tires I have seen on tar snakes. They stick at least as well or better than the PR4 , in the wet, or dry, much better in the cold. Front tire cups near the end but 15000km is attainable. (I had one set at 18000km,(past done), one at 15K to wear bars, one off at 10K for a trip.
(2 sets of Dunlop RS 3's). Best front tire wear to any. maintains profile well, gets noisy as it wears. Rear not a good cold weather tire, Its gets slippery until REALLY warmed up.

I recently installed a set of the Angel GT 11 (A spec). Which have about 5000km now. (The front tread does not cause ANY issues on the roads I ride to date.) They are wearing as expected and I expect to see 15000km.

I keep wear records of all my tires at 5K, 10K, 15K.

Now for the A spec. My opinion and experience only. I have had a rear flat, and a front flat at speed (tire repairable with plugs)(both from screws picked up on road). Both times nothing unexpectedly happened, slowing and stopping was not an issue. IF you ride 2 up, it is in my mind just a raised level of safety. (Sidewalls are considerable stiffer at chg time)

Adding to this....... A C14 riding buddy, does not run A spec or GT. He doesn't like the more difficult tire chg.
He related to me a harrowing experience he had with a flat in which he crossed 2 lanes of freeway, and back , narrowly missing other traffic. He is a very experienced rider and weighs about what my wife and I do.

As long as the missus rides with me , I will run A spec tires . IF nothing else , it at least makes me feel, I have taken an extra step to ensure her safety.
philharmonic, doc, drduct and 2 others like this.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Ran two sets of Angel GT A-Specs. Best tires so far. 7500 miles rear and 8000 front. Currently running Roadtec 01s. Front is beginning to scallop and get noisy in the turns. I have a set of Pirelli GT II A-Specs to try next.
drduct likes this.

DAN THE PARTS MAN
2007 FJR1300AE
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Pirelli angel GT A spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
drduct,

I have the Angel GT (Spec A), for two-up/ camping/ traveling. My used FJR came with Michelins, and the change to Pirelli was a great improvement, far beyond the usual "new tires" joy on any bike. Handling was great. These tires inspire confidence in the turns, and in braking. We seldom get heavy rains here, but I have no complaints on wet roads. I have ~6000 miles on them, and I expect maybe two or three thousand more, before they are done. I have not noticed any changes in handling or performance as they wear. Now, I refuse to buy tires by price again. HTH.
Could not have said it better.
Another happy customer with the Pirelli Angel A-spec tires.
Put them after the stockers wore out on my 2017 FJR ES.
Absolutely fantastic handling, far more grip that the stock Bridgestones; Unfair comparison perhaps, but there you have it.
The handling is superb, worth the price? YES.
Some people get all paranoid about the A-spec being a "marketing gimmick" to squeeze a few more dollars out of your pocket, I disagree.
I ride a Suzuki SV1000S and the tire sizes are identical to the FJR, but not the weight of the machines, Pirelli produced these tires specifically to address this issue on these much heavier bikes and it makes sense, they are a completely different animal.
Cheers,
Daniel
drduct likes this.

Daniel
2017 Yamaha FJR ES
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400 SM
2006 MV Agusta 1000 F4R
2005 Suzuki SV1000S
1997 Suzuki GS500e
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:25 PM
doc
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBone View Post
<snip>
Some people get all paranoid about the A-spec being a "marketing gimmick" to squeeze a few more dollars out of your pocket, <snip>
Maybe those people have nothing of actual value to provide

Here in little old Australia, where I buy my tyres the prices are identical between the two different constructions - so no reason not to go the heavier one on the porky FJR for me.

I’ve found that the ride is a little more ‘brittle’ on the heavy carcass tyres when not loaded for bear, but we’re not talking about massive differences in ride quality.

Handling however — IMO you can certainly feel the benefits of the heavier carcass construction when the bike’s loaded. Feels so much more positive.
drduct likes this.

Cheers,

Anthony
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:43 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBone View Post
Some people get all paranoid about the A-spec being a "marketing gimmick" to squeeze a few more dollars out of your pocket, I disagree.
Never heard anyone claim GT/A-spec was a marketing gimmick before.

It is a tuning preference, not a matter of life or death. There is more difference between two GT/A-spec tires than there is between them and their non-spec twins. Quite frankly you can not know which you like best if you don't wear out a set of each on the same motorcycle.

Marketing certainly uses F.U.D. to sell the GT/A-spec tire. As does the common internet/YouTube pundit.

Latest tires I bought, T31 GT from RM, was a couple dollars less than the plain T31.

Others I know preferred the PR4 over PR4GT on FJR stating the PR4 rode smoother. I don't keep records for his bike the way I do mine but (3) sets of PR4 sometimes lasted longer, sometimes less, than his one set of PR4GT. Wasn't too happy to find the PR4 was unobtainium so he bought R5 and is very unhappy. Wearing faster and riding much poorer toward end of life than others.

Expect the PR4GT to disappear when R5GT is available. Too many other good choices around for me to pay premium price for a questionable tire. Seems to be two camps of R5 owners. Some find it to be ever bit as good as the PR4, some find it not. To observe such a distinct love/hate of a tire is unusual. Am guessing Michelin had a goof and made some bad production lots. Got the tread rubber compound wrong or something.

Choice is good. But if fear is used to drive your choice then you chose for the wrong reason.
drduct likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page