Closer to pulling the trigger - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:57 AM
Farkle Trainee

An idea - go to dealer look at FJR see what a brilliant piece of engineering it is, know its a Yammy so it not going to have sh1t reliability, buy said FJR.

No procrastinating or pulling of any trigger necessary

05 FJR Silver & Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:59 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I've only had my FJR for 5,500 miles, but you could easily double all recommended curve speed limits. I wouldn't, not because the bike can't, but because that's a good way to die; statistically speaking. I have a near-abandoned old round track near me that I've been to a few times with the FJR. It handles much better than an Indian Scout and Harley FXDR, not so well as an R1M, Ninja 300, Ninja 1000 or FJ-09. It seems noticeably faster than a Ninja 1000.

The gears are very quick ratio, but sixth is outside where you want to be at 25 mph. At 40, I usually use 5th. At 55 mph, 6th gear is fine and a roll on will get you around cars smoothly. But, why wouldn't you downshift??? The style and "market" of this motorcycle is to downshift and throw it around. Have you looked at a Gold Wing with DCT? Way more fun that it should be, but not close to the thrill an FJR can provide.

If you're losing your 2 up, the Ninja 1000 may be a great competitor for you to shop with. You will lose the cruise control, electric windscreen, range, and heated grips, and possibly some straight line speed as well; but gain cornering and some money in your pocket.

2018 FJR1300A
Commuting and small mileage 2 up touring
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I can't tell if you are considering/comparing an FJR and a N1K or an FJR and a BMW RT. You state FJR and RT are your two choices at the top, and then discuss N1K through your comparison points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR52 View Post
3. It is over 100 pounds heavier than the N1K and about 150 pounds lighter than the Wing. So straight line performance will be about 75% between the two favouring the N1K. EG 0 to 100km/hr is about 3.3 seconds?
I think you should be able to do it in 3 flat. 2.7 if you get a Gen I.

Quote:
4. What is the speedometer error? Assuming at least 6% has anyone tried a 190/55 series rear tire to have the speedometer read closer to actual speed? It is a heavy bike so I assume everyone is using the heavy weight spec on the tire of choice. What should I expect for milage on front and rear tires?
My experience is that it is around 3mph off at 70-80mph with Michelin PR4s, and Continental Road Attack 3s. It was spot on with Pirelli Angel GT A-spec in the Yamaha specified size. And of the three they have been my favorite.

Quote:
6. Lean angle is favouring the sport side. What speed are you comfortable with doing a highway curve marked at 60 kph? I realize there is a lot of variance in posted speed curves, but there still is a 'norm'. I am looking for 100+ kph. Usually I just take the posted curve speed and double it for the comfort zone. This even worked for the Wing.
If a particular speed worked for the Wing, it will absolutely work for the FJR and RT. I think you'd scrape/drag a Wing before you could either an FJR or RT...

Quote:
In short for riding style is it closer to sport or closer to touring? The ultimate bike for me would be the performance of the N1K with the comfort and weather protection of the Wing. From show room and checking forums it would seem to be 75% between the two in perfomce favouring the N1K and maybe 50% in comfort. I can live with that.
As long as you don't get a seat with "wings" like the standard Russell Day Long, you can slide back and forth all you want. Changing the windshield is common to change the bubble.

With the mileage you put on a bike, I'd think reliability would be high on your list. That is the biggest unfixable difference between and FJR and an RT. You can change seats, bar risers, move your pegs, and get different windshields for both, making each somewhat into the other. But you can't make the RT as reliable as the FJR.

I think I recently read that most recent years' Iron Butt Rallys have had more FJRs finish than start, because the ones that started all finish, and riders with others makes (notably BMWs) have mechanical issues and are often loaned FJRs so they can finish.
Sete Bond likes this.

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig61 View Post
I can't tell if you are considering/comparing an FJR and a N1K or an FJR and a BMW RT. You state FJR and RT are your two choices at the top, and then discuss N1K through your comparison points.

In the preamble I stated I just sold my Wing and still have the Ninja 1000. I like both bikes for different reasons. As I am not getting any younger I am looking for a more comfortable distance bike than the N1K, hence the comment on the lean, hip and knee angles being similar between the FJR and the N1K. Risers are an easier solution on the FJR than the N1K. Those type of mods I would only consider after riding the bike for a few thousand kilometers when I have a better idea of what I want to change.

The only way to get Goldwing comfort is to buy another Wing, but then I would miss out on some of the performance I am looking for. So I want a bike that would be closer to the N1K in performance while providing more creature comforts. The cruise control, heated grips, shaft drive and electric windshield are all nice plusses for the comfort side and helps put the FJR on a very short list.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

FJR: Reliability, performance, meaningful technology, easily mod-ed for comfort buy the FJR 'nuff said.

Seriously, if you live in Calgary you're at least 2.5 hours from anything even remotely approaching an interesting road - the touring comforts of the FJR will keep you happy. And when you do get to those interesting roads, the performance of the FJR will make you euphoric!

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:31 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sete Bond View Post
FJR: Reliability, performance, meaningful technology, easily mod-ed for comfort buy the FJR 'nuff said.

Seriously, if you live in Calgary you're at least 2.5 hours from anything even remotely approaching an interesting road - the touring comforts of the FJR will keep you happy. And when you do get to those interesting roads, the performance of the FJR will make you euphoric!
+1 on the above...the FJR is more than capable of carving up corners within sane limits of riding on public roads. You have to be riding fairly briskly to find the FJR's limits if you keep it smooth...and that limit is in most cases beyond being safe on public roads, IMO of course.
Sete Bond likes this.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sete Bond View Post

Sete, not completely true, 25 to 45 min from city limits will get you into fun twisty and scenic roads, ask me how i know

and Yes buying an FJR is a no brainer, nothing currently on the ST market is as good at that price range (ask me how I know )
Sete Bond likes this.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:56 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Having owned both the 5 gear and the 6 gear models, there is no downside to the 6 speed. Except that theres one more gear to shift to top out. If thats a dealbreaker, you probably need a car. Sixth really isnt suitable until around 60mph. It pulls fine lower, but its lugging the engine.

The nice thing about sixth is that it lowers your rpms noticeably at cruising speed. Im glad they did it. But I was just as happy with the 5 speed.
Please clarify what you mean by lugging. I use 6th all the time while cruising even at 40 mph. Now, I don't accelerate much in that scenario as I would consider that lugging the engine (instead I throw it into 3rd and take off like a rocket). But I would not consider cruising along at 2,000 RPM in 6th on a flat road "lugging the engine".
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:41 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Sete, not completely true, 25 to 45 min from city limits will get you into fun twisty and scenic roads, ask me how i know
Damir, You've piqued my curiousity what roads are you referring to? The go-cart track at Callaway Park doesn't count !

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page