Closer to pulling the trigger - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:13 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I just picked up a new, discounted '18A with the 5th gear. I haven't ridden it a whole lot yet as I'm still putting miles on my '09A (just turned 121K). The new bike will be set up for the same use as my older one, for LD use. I believe the 6th gear will be great in that use; can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have a 2014a (red, the fastest color) & despite it being somewhat problematic with several issues and looking For a replacement several times I Always seem to come back to it as the best fit for me, just bang for the buck the fjr can't be Beat. When I bought mine I was riding an 86 gl1200sei which was a nice bike and being a long time “Wing” guy from the beginning of Wings (75) and after riding a new 1800 it just didn’t suit me. I also looked at the beemers particularly the 1300 four cyl’s $$$ But Always came back to the fjr, same with the c14, ninja 1k and a Suzuki 1200s. But I wanted the cruise, adjustable w-shield, abs and shaft drive which the fjr Ticked all the right box’s. The 5 speed is easily the best bikebox I’ve ever used, no complaints of the 6spds that i’ve Ever ridden they do work well, imho.

As far as low speed power the fjr has more low speed torque than about any other 4cylinder with the ability to pull down to around 1000-1200rpm (can’t do that with a twin) and easily pull back up, though really not recommended, it will do it but a simple downshift is so easy why not just do it. Not like you have to do push-ups to do it.

Downsides, the oe seat was absolutely terrible for me, if you buy and agree just buy a Laam (I have a Laam) or a Russell and don’t waste any money on something else that is not as good, they Are all about the same money by the way, I also have the Yamaha touring gel seat that’s way better than the oe but cost just as much as my Laam with a lot less comfort.

Buy the Yamaha extended warranty but as I see you are a Canadien cousin and I believe the cost is very prohibitive there.

There is a distinct vibration in the 3500-4500rpm range, not terrible and I believe Yamaha has improved on this in the newer models plus the 6spd puts that zone at highly illegal speeds anyway.

Most here have enjoyed pretty much bullet proof ownership but as I said mine has been somewhat problematic with it being on the 4th clutch (wouldn’t disengage) steering head bearings, abs switch’s and a broken subframe, but honestly I can’t wait to get back on it and experience the effortlessness in power, braking & handling that is the fjr, simply love it !

The fjr is somewhat tall and with a 30” inseam like me you may have to lower it a bit, I added Soupy’s adjustable rear links and lowered mine 1/2” front and back with no perceptible ill effects, way more lean angle left than I have courage to explore. That’s my take.
Sete Bond likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 07-21-2019 at 10:30 AM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Farkle Trainee

Like you I also had a dilemma so I owned these two ST bikes and GL1800 for few years, no better way to compare. All great bikes but since they are all in the same Touring category I decided to have one solid ST bike instead, so I sold them all last year and got a new '17 FJR ES. The GL1800 sold since I am not into long touring and only ride solo, C14 sold since it wasn't as nimble as FJR and the fuel range was poor, and since I decided to have a new FJR also sold the blue '05 that I loved.
Also to make sure I don't have any regrets I test rode the 1250RT and 1600GT back to back, no questions about it both great machines but too many stories about unreliability and cost of ownership?, (didn't own any BMW products yet to know, ...maybe one day when I get into ADV)
A year later very happy with my '17ES, yes a bit more shifting with the 6th gear, I wish FJR would come with the DCT.
Like others I can confirm the OE seat is bad, and too much grip for your "butt sliding style".
FJR is NOT a crotch rocket, YES it can be ridden in a very spirited way but it is a big and heavy bike, so group ride with crotch rockets will be a challenge.
Like you, there are days when I really miss the GL1800, I still have to demo the new GW DCT some people claim it's closer to FJR then the old GL1800.
You will be very happy with the new FJR and currently for the price there is no better bike available, good luck with your decision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190721-094742_Chrome_1563724466430.jpg (1,020.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190721-094655_Chrome_1563724479225.jpg (990.1 KB, 39 views)
Sete Bond likes this.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Kawi Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectreman View Post
Sounds to me like you should consider a Versys 1000- much like the N1K, nowhere as ponderous as the GW and 150 lbs. lighter than the FJR but lacking some of the FJR's amenities like cruise control and the electric shield. If you're not concerned about a passenger, to me, the '15-18 V1K is the near perfect, all around do it all bike. Had my daughter liked the passenger accomodations better, I'd be riding an V1K right now, not the FJR.
This^.

Please keep us posted on your decision.

Best wishes from Chicago!
Patrick
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by fljab View Post
I just picked up a new, discounted '18A with the 5th gear. I haven't ridden it a whole lot yet as I'm still putting miles on my '09A (just turned 121K). The new bike will be set up for the same use as my older one, for LD use. I believe the 6th gear will be great in that use; can't wait!

Hi! Thanks for sharing. I thought 2016 & onward all came with the 6-speed transmission. I didn't know the 2018A model had "only" 5 gears. I have the 2015 "A" model and I thought that was the last year for the 5-speed transmission. Well, they're all just great if you ask me. Even my '05 and its hot engine was so much fun! Happy for all of us, regardless of ride! Enjoy and stay safe everyone!
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:25 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR52 View Post
The 1800 Goldwing with a barely broken in 212,000 km is gone and next to go is the Kawi Ninja 1000. Down to a short list of two bikes to replace the two being the FJR and BMW RT. As always there are some lingering doubts and thoughts. My wife said her riding days are over so I am moving away from two bikes to one do all bike. I loved the Wing for overall comfort and decent performance. I loved the N1K for the hooligan factor.

1. Looking at the ergos for my body size the FJR sitting position is close to the N1K in lean, hip and knee angles, so not Wing territory comfort, but maybe a seat better than 3 out of 10.

2. While not N1K it is definitely more sporty than the Wing. No bike is absolutely perfect, but with time and mods it will get closer to the 'right stuff'.
3. It is over 100 pounds heavier than the N1K and about 150 pounds lighter than the Wing. So straight line performance will be about 75% between the two favouring the N1K. EG 0 to 100km/hr is about 3.3 seconds?

4. What is the speedometer error? Assuming at least 6% has anyone tried a 190/55 series rear tire to have the speedometer read closer to actual speed? It is a heavy bike so I assume everyone is using the heavy weight spec on the tire of choice. What should I expect for milage on front and rear tires?
5. Has a high torque engine so will it be comfortable coasting through a small town at 50 km in 6th gear and accelerate back up to highway speeds without down shifting?
6. Lean angle is favouring the sport side. What speed are you comfortable with doing a highway curve marked at 60 kph? I realize there is a lot of variance in posted speed curves, but there still is a 'norm'. I am looking for 100+ kph. Usually I just take the posted curve speed and double it for the comfort zone. This even worked for the Wing.

7. Sport bikes allow you to slide around on the seat to reduce lean angel at xx speed, while touring bikes keep your butt planted in the same position. Can you slide a butt cheek to one side to minimize lean angle at xx speed?

In short for riding style is it closer to sport or closer to touring? The ultimate bike for me would be the performance of the N1K with the comfort and weather protection of the Wing. From show room and checking forums it would seem to be 75% between the two in perfomce favouring the N1K and maybe 50% in comfort. I can live with that.

Oh relevant factors. 5'7", 165 lb, 30 " inseam and 67 years old.

All insights are appreciated.

Seeking the perceptions of others may not be the right way to go, here.

Find a FJR. Ride it. Ride the others. Then decide, according to YOUR values...

In my opinion, you're very close to "thinking this to death." Turn off your brain, and listen to your soul.
bishopchip likes this.

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You are correct. The latter models have 6 speed transmissions. The LED lighting of the gen IV bikes is night and day (no pun intended) from the 2015 and earlier bikes. Both the throw of the headlight and the visibility of the taillight and rear signals is significantly better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_FJR View Post
Hi! Thanks for sharing. I thought 2016 & onward all came with the 6-speed transmission. I didn't know the 2018A model had "only" 5 gears. I have the 2015 "A" model and I thought that was the last year for the 5-speed transmission. Well, they're all just great if you ask me. Even my '05 and its hot engine was so much fun! Happy for all of us, regardless of ride! Enjoy and stay safe everyone!
Chicago_FJR and Sete Bond like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks everyone for the detailed responses. The Versys is not on the short list as I am inseamed challenged and for me I would need to get platform shoes just to have my toes touch the ground. With an African Twin I would need a step ladder to get on and a step ladder waiting for me when I want to get off.

The FJR ticks a lot of boxes. I am sure I would be happy with the bike and the happiness would increase as each step of personalization occurred. I just need to find one to test ride to take away the last of the doubts.
Bill Lumberg likes this.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:15 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

https://www.eaglerider.com/yamaha-re...McyRentalsHome

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

A good suggestion, but they are a little light on locations north of the 49th parallel. I did check other rentals in Calgary and no one is renting FJRs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page