1k miles in... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By FjrjrF
  • 1 Post By BigC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

1k miles in...

I'm closing in on 1k miles on the '16A since I purchased it used. Still haven't read the whole owner's manual and I know there's things I need to learn about the bike, adjustments to be made, etc.

Overall though, I'm really pleased w/it, as is my passenger, my daughter. Both of us are very comfortable. To that point, last weekend during our ride, my daughter started falling asleep on the back! Caught me off-guard, for sure.

I'm still chuckling at you guys who have modded the **** out of your bikes as I've found little to fault w/it yet, including the seat & windscreen (altho I know I'll change them both out eventually.) I come from the world of the ZRX, Ninja 1000 & Mustangs tho, so I understand the modding diseases and I too will eventually be infected... But not yet.

Still, you guys who complain about the seats/screens have apparently never owned a Kawasaki- worst OE seats on the planet. The OEM FJR seat is a dream in comparison! Screens on Kawis are barely above acceptable & always need to be replaced immediately upon purchase. Not so w/the FJR, at least in my opinion.

Glad I got the new tires on so I can push the bike a little more comfortably in the corners and curves.
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

One other observation to add.

I rode w/the bags off today and couldn't believe how much sportier the bike felt/handled. They must be one heck of an aerodynamic drain; one would think that hanging that low, they wouldn't affect handling that much, especially if empty, but they do. I may be riding more often w/out them.
Lee
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Congrats to you and your daughter. As for modding it out. I have probably about 20 different mods on there. I could have just rode the bike as is from the dealer, no problem. My mods were to just make my FJR comfortable to me. That's all nothing to do with looks, just function. My RDL made me do 3000+ mile rides very comfortable, my Helibars made my seating much more comfortable also. If I ride and there is a body part that is experiencing pain, when I eliminate it, that's one less distraction. These were all tailored to me. If someone else owns the bike they might not like what I've done. If I ever sell, which I won't, I have all the original stuff that THEY could put back on. So I don't really consider it modifying, just making it my own.
JohnC likes this.

- Jim,
AMA and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I also have a lot of mods, well, OK, excessive personalization, (about 2 dozen at last count) on my bike, mostly ergos/comfort, safety/visibility, and overall convenience (aux electrical bus and internal USB power, for instance).

One of the cheapest things you can do to an FJR is to apply black 3-M reflective film (Real Time Industries is one source) to the saddlebags if you do much night riding. It's pretty much invisible in the light, but unmistakable at night.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

You're right mostly that the bike is pretty good out of the box. If you've had a gel pad arse implant apparently like Russ (rbentnail) has, you'll probably find the stock seat satisfactory. I'm fine with the stock seat for commuting but the Russel goes on when I hit the slab. There's nothing wrong with the stock screen unless you want to use comms or listen to music. At speed, it just doesn't work well in that scenario. I can say that having engine guards to be able to mount highway pegs to is awesome for stretching out the legs on the long rides. Also, I suppose folks can live without a top box but for me, once you have a top box, you'll never go back. For grocery getting and helmet storage, hands down a win. I get where you're coming from but I look at them as amenities that make riding more fun. And honestly as reasonable as the bike was price wise compared to a Harley or BMW, you can throw $1500 at it, make it comfortable and still come out way ahead of the game. I'm glad you're enjoying it

A friend of mine had a Yamaha cruiser and he took his daughter out for a ride, she was probably ~12 or so and she fell asleep behind him and started to fall sideways. He felt her slip behind him and caught her but it scared the crap out of him. I never had my kiddo on the back long enough for her to fall asleep thank goodness. Scary stuff though...
bounce likes this.

-Brent

2016 FJR1300A
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:42 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

My kids use to fall asleep all the time. I could feel there face shield start touching my back and the deeper the sleep, the lower the helmet touched my back. They never leaned to the side so no scary moments.
And Honda seats are the worst.

'06 FJR 1300AE
'87 GL1200 Aspencade
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:57 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectreman View Post
One other observation to add.

I rode w/the bags off today and couldn't believe how much sportier the bike felt/handled. They must be one heck of an aerodynamic drain; one would think that hanging that low, they wouldn't affect handling that much, especially if empty, but they do. I may be riding more often w/out them.
Lee

I never ride with the bags. If I ever do a road trip I guess I will. I noticed what you're talking about the first day. Since then the stupid bags have sat in our closet. If only I could do the same thing with the plastic crap all over the bike...

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page