Iron Butt Rally Winner - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Iron Butt Rally Winner

So I am a member of a local Sport Touring Motorcycle Club that has a lot of BMW fan boys as members. Earlier today a club member sent out a group email about how his BMW mechanic won the Iron Butt Rally this year. Well you toss me up a softball like that and I just had to jump in on the conversation and take a swing for a little fun. My response - So you mean to tell me your BMW mechanic chose to ride a 14 year old FJR with over 200K miles instead of a BMW to ride the IBR. Needless to say that got all of the BMW fan boys panties in a twist. They are so much fun to razz...
bounce, Polar, bdeel and 5 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Don't forget the sex change...

2016A
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 PM
Farkle Trainee

Wendy has come very close to winning the IBR before. She was, and I presume she still is, a member of the FJRforum.

For some reason I thought last time she rode an '04. I know it was an '05 this time.
RERJr and bjoynes like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Wendy has come very close to winning the IBR before. She was, and I presume she still is, a member of the FJRforum.

For some reason I thought last time she rode an '04. I know it was an '05 this time.
She is an incredible person. Not sure of all the details but from what I remember a bike mechanic who owns her own shop. Could have done with her help when I tried moving the handlebars, one at a time

I think the bike she rode had a rebuilt engine, so maybe it was a 04 bike with a 05 engine, does not really matter still impressive for anyone to win it.

2016A
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Tough woman, and obviously an accomplished long distance rider. Cant imagine 13,000 miles in 11 days. Congrats to her.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Let's not forget a forum buddy (elsewhere) lent a guy his bike when his beemer blew up.

"JD Smith’s 2015 R1200GSA was reported to have blown up. One might dismiss the terminology as hyperbole, or possible embellishment in the overheated moment. However, the video posted online showed steam pouring from the bike and a puddle of dark liquid under the dead bike. Not sure if it was water or oil.

Chuck Snyder saw the call for help from JD. Chuck asked his boss if he could take off work to go and help. He got the OK to go. Chuck went home, loaded his Yamaha FJR on the trailer and hauled it to where JD was waiting with the smoking, leaking BMW. The FJR was off-loaded, the broken BMW was loaded, JD departed on the FJR to try and salvage his rally. Chuck hauled the BMW back to his place. This generosity and quick thinking resulted in JD being back on the road within 3 hours, avoiding any
backtracking or further delays."

Another comment - "Echoing John Harrison - someone who is about to embark this journey and ride of a lifetime has to factor in the platform performance history of the bikes that have been used for the IBR. Reading these daily reports from each of the past IBR's has to be part of that preparation. One has to wonder, based the BMW motorcycle history in this event, who would even consider that as a platform to spend 18 or more months building for this event. When was the last time a Goldwing failed a rider on mechanical failure along (not including deer strikes) in this event? FJR's have failed as well, I'm sure, any BMW rider will be quick to point out - but not with anywhere near the same failure rate as we've seen from the BMW camp. Amazing.

Chuck's FJR is a 2007. It's 12 years old. Will there be any issues with it o the final leg to Greenville? Odds are not. My FJR is a 2009. I'm confident it would go the distance if needed. Wendy Crockett is on a 2005 FJR."

From Chuck "JD already has his eye on a replacement R1200GS with under 8k miles on it".

Yep... me too kinda shaking my head.....
wheaton and Bill Lumberg like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

Let's not forget that goofy @Steve Bracken guy. He did much the same thing a few years ago. Steve's bike is well set up for rallies and he drove several hours to meet a man he had never met and just gave that man his '05 FJR. That man had been riding a BMW.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.

Last edited by Redfish; 07-15-2019 at 10:19 PM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Tough woman, and obviously an accomplished long distance rider. Cant imagine 13,000 miles in 11 days. Congrats to her.
I told her on FB "I think Ms. Wendy Crockett had an unfair advantage, she is a women and has a different pain threshold, sitting on a FJR seat for 11 days is minor compared to giving birth..."

She replied "Its funny, I think having a kid unlocked some kind of superpower where I can be fully functional on virtually no sleep. "

As RaYzerman Redfish said, it was great to see how a community would just come together to help, it says a lot about the type of people in that group. Very similar to a member of this site who got me a room at no expense to myself.
bounce, RERJr and 2014oldred like this.

2016A

Last edited by bjoynes; 07-15-2019 at 09:45 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Wendy rode the IBR on this 2005:

bounce, RERJr, 2014oldred and 2 others like this.

2005 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:35 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoynes View Post
She is an incredible person. Not sure of all the details but from what I remember a bike mechanic who owns her own shop. Could have done with her help when I tried moving the handlebars, one at a time

I think the bike she rode had a rebuilt engine, so maybe it was a 04 bike with a 05 engine, does not really matter still impressive for anyone to win it.
It's an '05 bike that has had the engine replaced in the last few years. She rode the same bike last time.
bjoynes and weldteach like this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page