Questions about 2008 A model - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Questions about 2008 A model

Friend is getting a 2008 1300A and both of us wondering what kind of common problems they had that we should be looking for. I have a 2015 A model but it is also my 1st FJR so I am not real familiar with them. He lives on his bikes and mine only gets miles when I follow him. Take in mind he is the type that will go 100 miles for a burger then start the ride from there.

TIA -- Bobby
passx and btl68 like this.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Not much... I'd do some preventative maintenance of the ground spiders with contact paste, sync the throttle bodies, flush the clutch and brake fluid every year including cycling the ABS pump. Fill it with fresh gas and hit the road.
btl68 likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:27 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReRose View Post
Friend is getting a 2008 1300A and both of us wondering what kind of common problems they had that we should be looking for. I have a 2015 A model but it is also my 1st FJR so I am not real familiar with them. He lives on his bikes and mine only gets miles when I follow him. Take in mind he is the type that will go 100 miles for a burger then start the ride from there.
TIA -- Bobby
Bobby,

Nothing here beyond oil and fluids, normally. A can of injector cleaner (Seafoam) won't hurt, now and then. The radiator fins are delicate and it's very costly to replace a radiator, so a radiator guard (Cox or similar) is cheap insurance, there. A Fenda Extenda is good there, too. Same for the headlight lenses: I have Cee Bailey Headlight Guards, but anything is better than nothing, there. If your friend rides long and hard, tire age is probably worth considering. I believe that 8 year old rubber is about done, no matter about the remaining tread depth. Maybe sooner, for riding hard. Click the link, and scroll down:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

That's a good start.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

2008 was the third year of the Gen2 bikes. The fuel mapping and the throttle cable pulley was improved over the '06 and '07 models. The '08 is a really good choice.
RaYzerman and btl68 like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Once I get the bike in my grubby hands, I will probably do a full-on diagnosis and semi tear down to get familiar with it and set it up for the long haul rides I like to do.

Been thinking of buying an FJR ever since they came out. I can't wait to finally take the plunge!
Redfish likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If he rides that much, convince him he's making a huge mistake!! Get a '13 or up for the cruise control.
JohnC likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
If he rides that much, convince him he's making a huge mistake!! Get a '13 or up for the cruise control.
And how many miles do you have on your '07 FJR now?

Yeah, Cruise is nice but a good Gen2 is never a bad choice. So many of those Gen2s out there that are at ridiculously low prices because they don't have Cruise Control. And they last a long time and are good for a bunch of miles. Somebody should take advantage of the bargains on these great bikes.

Of course I do love my Gen3. And its Cruise Control...
philharmonic and FjrjrF like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:29 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Yeah, Cruise is nice but a good Gen2 is never a bad choice. So many of those Gen2s out there that are at ridiculously low prices because they don't have Cruise Control. And they last a long time and are good for a bunch of miles. Somebody should take advantage of the bargains on these great bikes. Of course I do love my Gen3. And its Cruise Control...
ReRose,

I expect that a cruise control is great, but aftermarket electronic units cost US$200~300 and maybe a labor charge, depending on the skills of the new owner. A 2008 or better, with an aftermarket cruise control, may be a better deal than the newer FJRs. It's a good bargaining point to say you wanted an FJR with cruise.
Steve Bracken likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:17 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I am going to try this 08 because it's coming from a trusted person and we are doing a trade on bikes. He has excess FJR's, I have excess ZRX1100's...lol. But anyhow, this will be my first attempt at a FJR. I actually tour on a 2002 ZRX1200 with 135,000+ miles, and that's just the current one.

I took Bobby to taste his first Moonburger about a month ago...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04979.jpg (341.5 KB, 16 views)
Redfish likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I did not know that a single burger was a 1/2 lb patty so I ordered a double cheese burger. I could not finish it and was ready for a nap and a dump after that.
FjrjrF likes this.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page