2016 FJR Wobble and Fix-You Can't Make This Stuff Up - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By Blueridgerider
  • 2 Post By Bill Lumberg
  • 1 Post By N4HHE
  • 2 Post By passx
  • 2 Post By BTeamer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

2016 FJR Wobble and Fix-You Can't Make This Stuff Up

I thought this might help others that are experiencing the dreaded wobble on their bikes. What I just went through was agonizing for sure but the wobble is gone! I picked up the bike about a month ago with 10K miles on it. The tires were shot so I put a set of Michelin GT 4's on it. I rode it out of the shop that put them on, turned around immediately, and told the service Mgr. that I had a wobble. I was heading out on a multiple day trip the next day that ended up over 1000 miles so I did not have much time to mess around. He said, "Don't take your hands off the bars and just ride it" I just shook my head and headed out. Not much choice at this point.

I started researching the wobble and even saw a poll that close to 40% experience it? So the consensus to take care of it was All Balls so when I returned from the trip I took it to another place close by hoping they would fix it. After multiple face to face discussions about what was happening and wanted I left the bike. I finally get the call my bike is done. "Sir we just wanted to let you know your WHEEL BEARINGS are done"! Say what? You put in wheel bearings? I could not believe it. They made good for the mistake and ordered the All Balls. Well 2 weeks later I get the call the bike is done. The mechanic said the bike still had a wobble. That can't be! Your kidding right? I rode it, there was still a wobble but it was better. When I returned he pointed out that the front tire looked defective. He said it is not perfectly round and might be bad enough to cause a wobble even though you put the All Balls on. I had a decision to make as I could put on a new tire and see if that fixed it. If it didn't then I have a spare for later but am out another $200 bucks on top of the hefty charge for the All Balls etc. If the tire was bad I could take my case to Michelin and hope they would take care of it even though the tire had over 1000 miles on it.

The mechanic was right, the tire was bad and the dreaded wobble was gone!! I contacted Michelin and explained the whole thing and they could not have been nicer about it. Have the shop call us, text a pic of the receipt, and we will send you a check which they did for the tire. I thought this was a story worth writing here in case anyone has a wobble and wants to get rid of it. You can't make this S$&T up right?
Polar and Gary B. like this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The only wobble Iíve ever had was following a tire change. Loosening everything, bouncing the bike a couple of times, then torquing to spec eliminated the problem immediately. I run PR4GTís pretty much exclusively. Terrible you had to go through so much only to find you had a defect.
Redfish and Blueridgerider like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:10 PM
FJR Top Gun

Is difficult but possible for the tire to seal air but bead not properly seated on rim.

I had one well lubed tire require 40 PSI to seat. I always check for round first thing when mounted on my balancer. Most seat at about 15 PSI.
Blueridgerider likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:35 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

All good advice above but also It could have been a broken belt in the tire, not a common problem these days but still very possible and dangerous as well.
Polar and Blueridgerider like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:34 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
For what itís worth, I have had this happen twice before. Both were rear tires, so no steering issues associated. Sure enough though, the tires turned out to be defective.

After riding off, I felt a vibration in the seat. Took the wheel off to verify balance, and then spun it quickly to watch for unevenness. The bead was perfectly seated, but the tread would ďbounceĒ as the tire spun. So it was actually out of round.
N4HHE and Blueridgerider like this.

-2016 FJR 1300A
-2012 CBR 1000RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page