Bi Annual brake hose replacement... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Bi Annual brake hose replacement...

Parts alone are over $800 for replacing all the brake hoses. Plus close to three dozen copper banjo clamp washers to do it right, a couple or quarts of fluid...

My 2007 is now over 12 years old. I guess the price of ownership eludes me...

I try to take care of the old girl, but perhaps I am not mature enough to have a pony.

If its got teats or tires, your bound to have trouble with it...
Yamaha 07' 1300-AW
Yamaha 79' XS1100-SF

Kurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:38 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Wow, man. My '07 is running just fine on the original brake hoses. Why do we think that motorcycle brake hoses (or parts in general) need to be replaced more frequently than the car parts that come from the same plants?

CVBruce

cvbruce
'07 FJR, burgundy
'13 DRZ400, white
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricGATOR View Post
Parts alone are over $800 for replacing all the brake hoses. Plus close to three dozen copper banjo clamp washers to do it right, a couple or quarts of fluid...

My 2007 is now over 12 years old. I guess the price of ownership eludes me...

I try to take care of the old girl, but perhaps I am not mature enough to have a pony.
Mine is 13 years old the hoses are fine - maybe they will go another 10 years?

brakes are fine, fluid changed every year, ive fitted sintered HH compound pads in the front.

05 FJR Silver & Blue

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:20 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I don't know of anyone who has followed the "replace every 4 years" in the maintenance schedule.... no anyone who has blown a brake hose... kinda funny all the lines are steel except for the short bits at the ends, where there is no separate part number..... technically if you replace them all, you gotta pull the engine to get at them.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:55 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yamaha says they have to be replaced every few years. I have never done that. I think if you never change the fluid and have a bike that sits in harsh conditions, you might have problems. But I still wouldn’t expect them to be with the lines.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:48 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I'm thinking the lawyers wrote that part of the service guide. I've only ever replaced brake lines to go to braided stainless and that's usually only after 10+ years.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
doc likes this.

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I was looking up torque specs and procedure when I glanced over at the recommended maintenance chart, when I saw brake hoses, every two years, replace.

I thought, "Oh, I'd better start looking into that, I know they are over due..."

Lawyers.
I was working offshore O&G and it was a very heavy safety conscious culture. Management kept saying "Everyone must go home the same as they arrived" They would make us wear fall protection harness when standing atop a 6 foot box although there was no place to connect to for fall arrestors.
The culture was more about protecting the deep pocket oil company from my lawyers...
...and everyone going home safe.
doc and passx like this.

If its got teats or tires, your bound to have trouble with it...
Yamaha 07' 1300-AW
Yamaha 79' XS1100-SF

Kurt
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:41 AM
Farkle Trainee

My '16 manual says change every four year, but of course nobody will do that. Their dealers do not do that on service as well, it is just a disclaimer of liability, which mean after four year Yamaha will not have any responsibility with a brake failure, you are on your own. Nothing to worry about.

/rogerf

Roger
2016 FJR AE (ES)

Last edited by rogerf; 07-13-2019 at 02:44 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:49 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

FabricGATOR, I think you're looking at the Replace Brake Fluid every two years, hoses are 4 years...... IMHO, brake fluid should be changed every year. No mention of clutch fluid in the schedule...... should be changed every year also. Of course you are inspecting your air filter every 4000 miles and blowing it out, changing your spark plugs every 8000, taking your swingarm off at 8000 to inspect the bearings and again at two years to repack them....... let's think of the cost if you took your bike to a dealer for each item....... always wanted to rewrite the maintenance schedule one of these days.... a few too many revenue generators in there. Have you checked the reed valves in the air injection system yet? Greasing your clutch and brake lever pivots every 4000...... for shame!
FabricGATOR likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

In my former job (major brake designer/supplier) they promoted thechanging fluid and hoses yearly more as some have said as a legal protection but truthfully The fluid and hoses are designed with a 100k change interval goal.

A lot of places in the world do the yearly fluid changes as a matter of culture and quitefranklyit;s not a bad thing. Hoses,, it seems that modern brake hoses have a propensity for the rubber separating internally and creating internal check valves that cause brakes to drag or lick up, but this is more predominate in the auto section, not so much bikes.

Rubber hoses are required to give you flex in areas that move but also to dampen any vibration out of the system. If you had a system that allowed a full metal brake line you would still need a section of hose for vibration dampening, particularly with the modern advent of abs, you’d regularly crack the hard lines without that “flex” in the system.

Myself, I just don't replace the hoses just because some lawyer said so, look for evidence of bulging or cracking particularly around where the ends are swaged on and if you feel the need you can get braided lines that are better than oe for less $$$.
FabricGATOR and slowdave like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page