Installation of R-Gaza Crash Bars - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Installation of R-Gaza Crash Bars

I finally received my R-Gaza bars on the slow boat from Russia. I was wondering if anyone can give me feedback on installation. I installed other bars on my Z900 and you had to keep the engine jacked up as when the bolt came out the engine sagged and then you could not feed the bolt back in. Not fun! I do not want the same thing to happen on the FJR especially with all the fairings etc. The rear longest bolt that feeds through the back of the front bars looks like it could be an engine bolt. Everywhere I read it says simple installation but thought I would reach out to anyone with experience first to be on the safe side. Thanks to anyone who can help out.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:39 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Engine is well bolted in, no worries. Take that back bolt out and get started... engine isn't going anywhere. You have 4 mounting bolts in the frame for the front part. YOu are going to use the two big lower ones up there. Top ones are hidden from you unless you remove the fairings.
Blueridgerider likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks for the response. I am not sure what your experience was putting these things on but it was pretty brutal for me. I always do most of the work on my bikes so I have many other tough jobs to compare it to. The rear bars were relatively easy but the front ones were a PIA. I finally got the bolts to line up but it really took some hard work putting the different bolts in. The 3 mounting points have to be perfectly aligned or the main bolt is not going in. At one point I was convinced it was not going to fit. One bolt runs through the bike so tightening nuts on both sides by yourself is not the easiest thing to do either.

Also it does not help when the bars come from Russia and they send a bolt without threads. I was able to make things work with other parts so it was ok in the end. I am just glad the bald bolt was not a main one as it took a month for the bars to get here and would imagine I might have replacement parts by Christmas. I am not trying to scare anyone away from the job as I did it and was worth it. I also lost 10 pounds in the process Man it was hot in my garage. In the end I really like them, they look better than I thought, and now have peace of mind in case of a tip over. For anyone attempting this job or thinking about it and have questions I will be glad to help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4157.jpg (103.9 KB, 16 views)

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Definitely fun snugging up both sides of that rear by yourself no matter whose bars you're installing.. BTDT. Best leave all bolts loose until they are all nicely started... I should have mentioned putting anti-seize on the front mount bolts while you had them out.

Ray
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Well Blueridgerider, I wanna see some pics of the R-Gaza bars mounted! I won't believe it until I see it, LOL, Doubting Thomas I am!

- Jim,
AMA and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Definitely fun snugging up both sides of that rear by yourself no matter whose bars you're installing.. BTDT. Best leave all bolts loose until they are all nicely started... I should have mentioned putting anti-seize on the front mount bolts while you had them out.
Yeah I wish that I had known about that ahead of time. Do I dare take them out to apply that now? As tight as they are I think I will just let them be. They are a fixture of the bike now anyway and do not ever plan on removing them.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
Well Blueridgerider, I wanna see some pics of the R-Gaza bars mounted! I won't believe it until I see it, LOL, Doubting Thomas I am!
Here ya go Thomas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4159.jpg (303.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4160.jpg (293.0 KB, 18 views)
FjrjrF likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:45 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridgerider View Post
Yeah I wish that I had known about that ahead of time. Do I dare take them out to apply that now? As tight as they are I think I will just let them be. They are a fixture of the bike now anyway and do not ever plan on removing them.
Let's put it this way..... if you never remove those bolts for a year or two, you may find the dissimilar metal corrosion will make it very difficult to remove them, and you could bring all the aluminum threads with you.... major repair. They are in there at I think 33 ft. lbs.... it's two bolts... I'd do it.
I would also recommend anyone remove those two if you haven't..... you might be surprised what's been going on in those threads, especially if you installed crash bars/sliders with non-OEM hardware.... Do it by hand, not with a powered impact wrench, clean up the bolt threads, generously coat with anti-seize and reinstall..... sorry, I've just seen too many on all the FJR's I've worked on.

Ray
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Let's put it this way..... if you never remove those bolts for a year or two, you may find the dissimilar metal corrosion will make it very difficult to remove them, and you could bring all the aluminum threads with you.... major repair. They are in there at I think 33 ft. lbs.... it's two bolts... I'd do it.
I would also recommend anyone remove those two if you haven't..... you might be surprised what's been going on in those threads, especially if you installed crash bars/sliders with non-OEM hardware.... Do it by hand, not with a powered impact wrench, clean up the bolt threads, generously coat with anti-seize and reinstall..... sorry, I've just seen too many on all the FJR's I've worked on.
Thanks RaYzerman. I really appreciate it. It is people like you that help so many of us here. You probably saved me from a huge issue later on. I took your advice and pulled the bolts and reinserted them with the anti-seize on them. It is so much easier once you do this job once. I loosened everything up and the bolts went in without any problems. I once read that the torque values on the front would be less than specified with the anti-seize applied? I see 33 lbs. About right?

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:43 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Great info guys. I had frame sliders up front and T-Rex bag guards in the rear on my 2014. They were tested and did the job with zero damage to the bike or to the guards. When I pulled them to prepare the ‘14 for sale, to save them for install to the ‘18, none of the bolts were something you’d want to put back in a bike. They looked bad. I obtained new bolts for all, installed the same sliders and guards on the ‘18, bit these were slathered with antiseize. Time will tell if these bolts fare better.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page