Installation of R-Gaza Crash Bars - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:07 PM
FJR Top Gun

I love my Canyon Cages on the '05, but they were spendy.

We just got an '06 with YCCS, for Jodie ... I think these bars will be going on it.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:15 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Information varies, but torque values with a lubricated thread as these will be with anti-seize should be dropped at least 20%, meaning to 27. Technically, I think the experts say more like 30+%, but I have a mental block with that too. I wouldn't even take them back out to re-do it if they're already in at whatever. The less that goes on with these threads in the frame the better.
to Bill, likely they were a plainer steel and the shafts got rusty I'm guessing. Plain steel reacts less with aluminum than some platings... stainless in aluminum is just plain wrong without anti-seize, while chrome would be good.
Story....... I worked at an OEM automotive, the guys would steal the aluminum valve caps from the TPMS sensors and put them on their brass rubber valve stems.... found out later when they needed to add air that they couldn't get them off.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:24 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Information varies, but torque values with a lubricated thread as these will be with anti-seize should be dropped at least 20%, meaning to 27. Technically, I think the experts say more like 30+%, but I have a mental block with that too. I wouldn't even take them back out to re-do it if they're already in at whatever. The less that goes on with these threads in the frame the better.
to Bill, likely they were a plainer steel and the shafts got rusty I'm guessing. Plain steel reacts less with aluminum than some platings... stainless in aluminum is just plain wrong without anti-seize, while chrome would be good.
Story....... I worked at an OEM automotive, the guys would steal the aluminum valve caps from the TPMS sensors and put them on their brass rubber valve stems.... found out later when they needed to add air that they couldn't get them off.
... but, just for a moment, they created something beautiful
RaYzerman and Blueridgerider like this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
I love my Canyon Cages on the '05, but they were spendy.

We just got an '06 with YCCS, for Jodie ... I think these bars will be going on it.
The instructions for these bars said FJR’s without YCCS unfortunately. Maybe they make 2 different ones.
Steve Bracken likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:05 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridgerider View Post
The instructions for these bars said FJR’s without YCCS unfortunately. Maybe they make 2 different ones.
I saw that. They also have a set for the YCCS bikes. They are about $20 more and fix to four points.

Thanks.
Blueridgerider likes this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:03 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I had a thread here on installing them on a Gen I.

Might help.

You have to figure them out like a little puzzle.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-f...rds-gen-i.html

2005 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:32 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridgerider View Post
Thanks for the response. I am not sure what your experience was putting these things on but it was pretty brutal for me. I always do most of the work on my bikes so I have many other tough jobs to compare it to. The rear bars were relatively easy but the front ones were a PIA. I finally got the bolts to line up but it really took some hard work putting the different bolts in. The 3 mounting points have to be perfectly aligned or the main bolt is not going in. At one point I was convinced it was not going to fit. One bolt runs through the bike so tightening nuts on both sides by yourself is not the easiest thing to do either.

Also it does not help when the bars come from Russia and they send a bolt without threads. I was able to make things work with other parts so it was ok in the end. I am just glad the bald bolt was not a main one as it took a month for the bars to get here and would imagine I might have replacement parts by Christmas. I am not trying to scare anyone away from the job as I did it and was worth it. I also lost 10 pounds in the process Man it was hot in my garage. In the end I really like them, they look better than I thought, and now have peace of mind in case of a tip over. For anyone attempting this job or thinking about it and have questions I will be glad to help.
My rear RGAZA bars for my 2008 had the wrong threads on two bolts, had to go to hardware store and purchase two more. Emailed them on Amazon where I purchased them to let them know they are sending out GEN II rear kits with the wrong bolts, no reply go figure. I wanted CC but they stopped making them and T-REX was out of stock back then. They do work, bike tipped over and NO damage to any paint.
Blueridgerider likes this.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GENAE View Post
My rear RGAZA bars for my 2008 had the wrong threads on two bolts, had to go to hardware store and purchase two more. Emailed them on Amazon where I purchased them to let them know they are sending out GEN II rear kits with the wrong bolts, no reply go figure. I wanted CC but they stopped making them and T-REX was out of stock back then. They do work, bike tipped over and NO damage to any paint.
I would say they are worth all the aggravation right there. I hope to never try them out but now have peace of mind. Cheap insurance I think as what happens if you drop it without them. Leave it scarred up or file an insurance claim and your premiums go up. Glad I bought them and I think they look pretty good.
2GENAE likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page