LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:45 AM
Farkle Trainee

rain

snow

hail

cold

Most of these conditions are not good candidates for a shorty windshield lol
Little Joe, passx and Redfish like this.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 07-09-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:39 AM
Farkle Trainee

I haven't seen any of that stuff in years! Well, maybe it sprinkled a few times during the past year.

I'm having that problem viewing the OP's pics - forum says I'm not logged in. Other images work.

2014 FJR1300A
post #33 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I've ridden in flooding rain where I left a wake, snow, & sleet. And I prefer a short. Because I live in S Texas where it rains 3x/year and average summer high is about 100. And because I dream of being on a sport bike and having a little wind. People have ridden around the world with NO windshield you know. I'm fine with those that want to ride around behind a barn door--that's your choice. Disparaging those who want to feel some wind as garage queens is silly imho.

Similar to the "stock seat is a torture rack" discussion. I guess we've gotten soft. My 1000 mile day venture was on my old '86 Concours (first year model with the nice low bars) with a way cut down windshield from San Antonio, TX to Phoenix. Wind doesn't kill.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
the Ferret and 3sacrwd like this.

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.

post #34 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:04 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdave View Post

" Wind doesn't kill."

or to put it another way "Wind Saves Lives"

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 07-12-2019 at 10:19 AM.
post #35 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:24 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
or to put it another way "Wind Saves Lives"

You should hear my Loud Pipes!

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #36 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
I've ridden in flooding rain where I left a wake, snow, & sleet. And I prefer a short. Because I live in S Texas where it rains 3x/year and average summer high is about 100. And because I dream of being on a sport bike and having a little wind. People have ridden around the world with NO windshield you know. I'm fine with those that want to ride around behind a barn door--that's your choice. Disparaging those who want to feel some wind as garage queens is silly imho.

Similar to the "stock seat is a torture rack" discussion. I guess we've gotten soft. My 1000 mile day venture was on my old '86 Concours (first year model with the nice low bars) with a way cut down windshield from San Antonio, TX to Phoenix. Wind doesn't kill.

I don't know about "disparaging those that want to feel some wind" but I can say that anyone who expects everyone to agree with their windshield choice is silly. I will say it again, Windshield Discussions are a Joke. There will never be a consensus. There will never be 100 percent agreement.

Windshield, seat, oil, tires, the list is endless and pointless. Why worry about any of it? We discuss it and give feedback so that others may learn and decide for themselves. The OP performed a modification and posted it here. I would have to believe that he wanted to help others with an option and also brag a little about his ingenuity. That's what I would have had on my mind if I had done it anyway.

As far as "getting soft" I can relate to that. My Pop is quick to point out that cowboys rode all over the West on saddles that were not padded anywhere nearly as nice as the stock FJR seat. No heated grips on a horse's reins, no way to dodge the rain or the snow.

Which leads me to this thought. I spent around $16K to buy my '15ES brand new. I knew before I ever took delivery of the bike that I wanted a dark tinted Cee Bailey Sport Shield on it. Not just for wind management but for looks. If I can afford a really nice motorcycle I figure I can afford to do a few things to it to make it just like I want it. For some that means Loud Pipes. For others it means a Barn Door windshield and a comfy seat. I don't always agree with the choices that others make but as long as they don't insist that I do it to MY motorcycle, it's All Good and it's all useful information.

Of course, if someone does not agree with ME then they must be wrong!

As always, YMMV.
slowdave likes this.

post #37 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:57 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I cannot imagine... That's almost Harley Davidson level stuff!

If I didn't ride in the rain where I live may as well not have a motorcycle. I would also have missed out on some fantastic trips.

Your bike looks protected surrounded by the pretty red fastest models. And speaking of rain it looks like you have some major rain headed your way. Hunker down and hoping the best for you and family. Is your plant shutting down or staying up and running?
Redfish likes this.
post #38 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Oh yes, never expected or insinuated that others should agree or endorse. Just thinking that it's ridiculous to disparage and then talk about how that person "must not ride much" or is a new rider or some other condescending BS. I don't want a barn door windscreen, but to each his own.

Of course if it's MY post and someone disparages, I just get a good laugh at the disparager. Just hate to see someone else condescended to for something silly like choice of windscreen.

Back to your regularly scheduled oil & tire discussions.

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #39 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterb View Post
yeah any signs of rain coming or temps under 60,not a chance that bike will be out of the garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterb View Post
I would never ride in the rain either I like the bike showroom clean all the time. I didnít deface the stock one though.that can always go back on.I also never ride without a helmet.so even with no shield Iím fine. It was 93 degrees today and was a dream to ride. This shield at 85mph on highway in the up position is really nice. I canít see possibly how someone could put on a bigger shield?

Quote:

Quote:
Oh yes, never expected or insinuated that others should agree or endorse. Just thinking that it's ridiculous to disparage and then talk about how that person "must not ride much" or is a new rider or some other condescending BS. I don't want a barn door windscreen, but to each his own.

Of course if it's MY post and someone disparages, I just get a good laugh at the disparager. Just hate to see someone else condescended to for something silly like choice of windscreen.

Back to your regularly scheduled oil & tire discussions.

IF I was being Condescending it had more to do with the two quotes at the top of this post. He says he never rides in the rain or below 60 degrees. So it's not ridiculous at all to assume he does not ride much.

But again, that is HIS choice. If someone wants to buy an FJR, paint it pink and park it in their living room without ever putting a single mile on it, that is their right. I am fine with that.
slowdave likes this.

post #40 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:38 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Point taken. Although I bet I could easily get in 300 riding days/year here within those constraints. Now if I wasn't going to ride above 90įF ambient...might as well sell it. Lol.

Have a great day.

Redfish likes this.

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
*Dang cage drivers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in