Short windshield - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

Riding in the rain and riding in the cold will make you change your mind about the windshield. Each to his own.

I have to be able to get on my FJR and ride anywhere at any time. If it can't do that I need to trade it in on a Prius.
Barry58 likes this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:56 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Well...

I agree the stock is ridiculousness. I could barley ride the FJR home but some people like the short windshield. Or maybe midgets need the shorter windshield? Either way drop me a PM or call and you can have this fine example of Yamaha under engineered stock 2018 FJR1300 windshield.

And yes I had to get a touring windshield which seems to solve all my issues.

Cheers

Kris 510-876-2286
Barry58 and Bill Lumberg like this.
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

Yea, I guess it's what you are used to, or wiling to put up with. For me it's function over looks as well. Personally I have always liked lots of air for my daily riding. Here in the Ohio valley rain is always a daily concern, as well as the 90 degree ambient temps and 95% humidity. With that heat and humidity some fresh air feels really good. Rain has never stopped me from riding or driven me into a gas station or under an over pass even if I was riding one of my naked bikes. It's only water. Get wet, dry out. My FJR turned one year old 2 weeks ago and has 15,000 miles on it even though I lost a month and a half of riding due to a broken arm. My CB has 45,000 miles. I put 110,000 miles on my ST. My bikes are are not garage queens and get ridden daily regardless of weather, even if they get dirty. They get washed with soap twice a year. Other than that they get rain baths. For long trips a larger shield comes in handy which is why I have a touring shield to throw on if taking a trip, and for my winter riding when temps here can fall below zero. Then a break from the wind feels good lol
Barry58, Little Joe and Redfish like this.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

Sadly, we have yet another windshield discussion. Perhaps while we are at it we should try to answer which oil is best and which tires are best. I treat these windshield discussions as the joke that they are. There is simply no Right Answer. Windshield preferences are entirely up to the individual.

My ST1300 kept its stock original shield from '04 until I traded it in on my '15 FJR. I thought it was perfect.

During that same time we tried 3 different aftermarket options on my Pop's '07 FJR. He was never miserable, we were just fine tuning.

When Pop rode my '15 ES it took him less than a half mile to tell me that the wind/air management of the Gen3 bike was better. Pop says he would be happy to ride a Gen3 with the stock shield indefinitely. Of course his '14 came to him with a Cee Bailey Sport and he has left it on.

When I read that someone "could barely ride" or just "cannot stand" the factory shield I have to laugh. While I fully acknowledge there are ways to improve EVERYTHING, that windshield has the ability to change its height at the push of a switch. If it's that bad getting on something like a Dual Sport, a Sport Bike or a Cruiser must be impossible. I never realized riding a motorcycle was so difficult. YMMV

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:14 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yes personal preferences..... my St had a couple of different ones, I prefer a little larger not smaller. My '07 had a Rifle barn door, yes it was a little warm in the summer, but I had Baker Air Wings to draw in air too. This is where I learned the power of tilting the windshield back to allow air under it.... totally transforms any windshield. Did that on the ST too, after reading how others did that.. it was actually before the '07. On Root Beer, I have a tall V-Stream which simply bolted on gets floppy up top. Shimmed it up and to tilt it back a couple of degrees.... like that a lot, no more floppiness, put it all the way down and it's cool. Raise it up and get airflow on the torso (because it has curved sides). Perfect no, but darned good (to me).
I hear about all those who complain about windshields..... hint, shim them and tilt them back a bit, get some air under/behind it and you'll be happier. I think. In my opinion. Maybe. Not that I want to agree with my friend Redfish or anything. Well maybe.
Redfish likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #16 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Sadly, we have yet another windshield discussion. Perhaps while we are at it we should try to answer which oil is best and which tires are best. I treat these windshield discussions as the joke that they are. There is simply no Right Answer. Windshield preferences are entirely up to the individual.
YMMV
lol ...... oil, oil filters, seats, windshields, tires, crash bars, risers, travel trunks, exhaust, suspension set up, brake pads, rubber vs stainless steel brake hoses, helmets, gloves, boots, ad infinitum
Redfish likes this.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 07-07-2019 at 12:56 PM.
post #17 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I was just putting up a post that I searched for a good while and found no solution.
For redfish to put a
(sadly we have another)
you sure discussed quite a bit of your opinions on the subject
post #18 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:24 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
rbentnail...does no one ride a naked or sport bike in your area? surely not everyone rides around NC on a tourer or sport-tourer with a full size shield.
I ride around north Texas and over most of the USA with a large windshield. Now, admittedly, Utah in July was sort of warmish (117F) the time I rode through.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

monsterb, I am in the same group you are in. I have cut down the windshield on every bike in the last 20 years, unless it was a sports bike which in essence had no windshield. The wind makes buffeting dissapear and is quieter and in south GA more wind is better.

As to riding in the rain with the short shield, never stopped me, with a clean shield, the wind makes the rain bead off quicker.

As has been said, it is a personal preference, the only right way is what makes you happy.
slowdave and the Ferret like this.

Jerry Holland
2014 FJR1300ES

2013 Moto Guzzi Griso
post #20 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My .02,

On my 14a (the fastest color ��) I put the Yamaha touring shield on not long after buying the bike new and have found it pretty much right for me (kinda like the seat/oil/tire deal, eh) with the great electric adjustment. When it’s hot I just ride it all the way down which gives me a quiet, smooth, cool airflow. If it’s raining or a lot of bugs I just put it up or adjust it to what makes me happy. Pretty flexible.

The only complaint I have is more about the overall design rather than the shield itself which is rain protection, you won’t stay dry. This is because of the venting to allow air to flow on the backside of the shield ( I regularly clean bugs from the inside of the shield,,??? ) I understand this was done to smooth/quiet the airflow which also allows the rain in unlike my 86 gl1200 that was an absolute dry air pocket anything above 30mph. But it also wasn’t as quiet or smooth as the FJR.

It’s interesting in that one of the quietest positions of the touring shields is fully down but several can be found with the simple push of a button, I love the fjr adjustable shield !not perfect but pretty good.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page