2017ES DEFAULT Drive mode at startup - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

2017ES DEFAULT Drive mode at startup

Is the default mode at every bike startup "T" for Touring? And can it be changed to "S" for Sport? Manual pg. 4-20 doesn't say much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:01 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I'm pretty sure mine stays in whatever mode last used, i.e. every new startup is whatever mode I used last. I like the response of 'S' mode and typically leave it as such.
RaYzerman and Redfish like this.

Current: 2016 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
Previous: 2006 Kawasaki Concours
Previous: 1989 Suzuki GS850G
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:07 AM
Farkle Trainee

It should stay in whatever you put it in. I run in sport mode 98% of the time and it only changes when I hit the button.
Redfish and Myfjr like this.

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector7g View Post
It should stay in whatever you put it in. I run in sport mode 98% of the time and it only changes when I hit the button.
But you're a hooligan! Maybe Canadian bikes are constantly reverting back to their nicer side.
sector7g likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Farkle Trainee

Comes up in whatever mode you were in. I see zero benefit to touring.
RaYzerman likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If you have the Ivan reflash, you get a third mode I call "Ivan". It is in between Touring and Sport but leans a bit towards Sport.... slightly tamed. I used Sport exclusively, but Ivan mode is good. And yes, it stays in whatever mode you selected.
jjscsix likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Farkle Trainee

Really? Mine has never been out of T-Touring in the year I have owned it except once, when I accidentally hit the mode button. Took off and thought what is wrong with this thing? Looked down and saw the S on the dash and immediately put it back in T.

I thought most everyone rode in T mode?
Bill Lumberg likes this.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thank you All for chiming in, I also only ride in Sport mode, but for some reason almost every time I start the bike, it reverses to T mode, I wish it would save the last setting,...oh well, a "two button start" not the end of the world but it's not consistent, sometimes it does start in S mode, go figure?

Also I just tried the following: bike on kick stand in neutral, engine not running, key in and power on, "T" on display, the MODE toggle switch is weird it only works when pushed to the right, and even then the mode doesn't change "every time", and when just resting my thumb on the toggle switch the mode goes back and forth T to S to T etc. And it's intermittent, not every press will produce the Mode change.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:37 PM
Farkle Trainee

I had this problem. The switch is broken. It would revert to Tour mode whenever I shut the bike off. It also started to randomly switch modes. I seem to remember that it's a normally closed switch and when you restart the bike, it senses an open and changes modes. My switch broke because I pushed on it instead of sliding it to the left. I took it apart and was able to JB Weld the parts back together and it's been fine ever since. It wasn't hard but it is fiddly with an oh **** spring inside.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
miles ÷ smiles=bike.
It's simple math.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
I had this problem. The switch is broken. It would revert to Tour mode whenever I shut the bike off. It also started to randomly switch modes. I seem to remember that it's a normally closed switch and when you restart the bike, it senses an open and changes modes. My switch broke because I pushed on it instead of sliding it to the left. I took it apart and was able to JB Weld the parts back together and it's been fine ever since. It wasn't hard but it is fiddly with an oh **** spring inside.
dravnx good to know I am not the only one with this issue, I like fiddly fixes, will give it a try, I don't remember pushing on it (like turn signal cancelling style), but like I said it only works when pushed to the right, and also not every time the Mode would change. I will post some pictures of the inside of the switch.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page