Bought my first FJR! - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Bought my first FJR!

Hello everyone,

My name is Steve and I'm new to the forum. I'm a Scorpio and I love long walks on the beach. I bought my first FJR this week and am very excited. I have a long history of two-wheel machines from mini bikes to dirt bikes, to a Heritage Softail Classic to my last bike being an R1. After my R1 got stolen I took some years off and I'm ready to get back into riding. My significant other is very supportive of the journey we're about to embark on. she enjoys riding on the back of a bike and we are going to take a motorcycle safety course together at the end of this month so she can get her license.

I bought my FJR from Poway Motorsports and I have to say that was the most pleasant dealer experience I have ever been through. I am the guy that normally will spend all day at an auto dealer haggling to get exactly what I want. this was not the case with my FJR. I emailed the dealer with my offer and they called me back the following day to accept it. They did not trying to add any additional fees as many dealers will do even for used bikes. I paid the price of the bike, sales tax, California tire fee and a title transfer fee and that was it. The staff there was extremely helpful.

The good:
2013, Stone Gray
2,747 miles!!!
Akrapovic slip ons
Yamaha 39L top case with backrest
Ram ball mounts
Yamaha frame sliders
Maybe aftermarket wind screen?

The bad:
Tires even though low mileage, showed their age, bought a set of PR4GT's and hopefully they will be installed by the dealer by Friday afternoon.
The top case and mounting plate is only bolted to the factory plastic mount. I need to figure out how to make it to an SR357 mount since I'll probably get a larger Givi top case in the future.
I can't ride the bike right now, I had a testicle removed just over a week ago so it'll be a few weeks before I am able to ride. Just found out yesterday that it did contain cancer. So I am hopefully going to rent a truck and trailer on Saturday to bring it home but I am not sure if I'll be able to get the rental due to the high demand for 4th of July weekend. Might have to wait until next week.

Here are a couple of pictures of the bike. Is the fairing factory or did the previous owner add additional panels since the engine cover is not visible?

My wishlist of parts includes helibars mount, batter tender, additional USB outlets, SR357 mount, engine and luggage cages, GPS and a more comfortable seat since our goal is to travel much longer distance then my R1 would allow.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The fairing is stock. You do have an aftermarket windscreen fitted.

Looks sort of like my bike. Oh, wait . . .

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:52 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Welcome! Nice bike, I still lust for one now & then. Be sure to research "stiffy kit".

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks guys! Oh and I want to also add two helmet locks to the bike

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

While your fairing is stock the PO installed the Yamaha brand sliders as you have already noted. That is why the cases are covered. Pretty sure you have at least $340 worth of slider there. You could install crash cages for less money!

You are better off replacing the tires regardless of tread depth.

Nice bike, welcome to the forum and Good Luck!

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:13 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Look like it has the
FJR1300 Foot Shields

Item: 1MC-F83S0-V0-00
Redfish likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth View Post
Look like it has the
FJR1300 Foot Shields

Item: 1MC-F83S0-V0-00

Exactly! I thought those came with the Yamaha Sliders. Thanks for teaching me something today.
Downsouth likes this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:59 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You need to get it out of that dealership ASAP!!! Every week an FJR spends in a Honda dealership the rear end gets an inch wider. It's called the Hondapotamus effect. Same thing happens in a Kawasaki dealership except it's called the Concurious effect over there.
N4HHE and H20man like this.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:37 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast318 View Post
Thanks guys! Oh and I want to also add two helmet locks to the bike
Seems like a bazillion yrs ago I added helmet locks, 1 on each side. Pictures below. Got the brackets from -> https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/24-...available.html. The locks are Helmet Guardian brand, stocked by my local BMW dealer. I re-did the tumblers so the same aftermarket ignition/saddlebag/seat lock key works them. I installed them in '08 or '09, they still work fine tho the latch hook thingy is starting to rust some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1904.JPG (193.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1903.JPG (194.0 KB, 17 views)

Russ
2007A

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Exactly! I thought those came with the Yamaha Sliders. Thanks for teaching me something today.
Ahhh now it all makes sense. Later this year I'm hoping to get T-Rex cages, I want more protection since I'll be on the occasional dirt road.

Thanks for the helmet lock link, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Even though I can't ride the bike right now I am eager to get it home so I can see how I can mod the Yamaha brand top box to an SR357 mount.

Just booked the motorcycle training course so my lady can get her license. Please don't be too mad at me, she's a Honda girl. Looking at getting her a CBR500R.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page