Upgrading stock exhaust on 2016 ES - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:08 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I want my exhaust as LOUD as I can get it. This accomplishes several things for me.

1. It lets my neighbors know who the Alpha Male is in our neighborhood. Nothing screams "Screw you I am more important than you are" at 3am quite like revving up my engine before work.

2. Loud Pipes Save Lives. I have saved so many lives that my hometown has staged parades for me. I am a local hero. The entire fire department, the local EMTs and the hospital staff combined have not saved as many lives as I have with my Loud Pipes. Little old ladies approach me in the grocery store to thank me for Saving them with my Loud Pipes. But I just ignore them. I am far too cool for such things with my loud pipes.

3. The Dyno has clearly shown that I can gain 0.000406 horsepower. That's a lot when you consider that my FJR only puts down about 125 at the rear tire.

4. Now I fit in with the Harley Riders. Before my Loud Pipes the HD guys would not let me ride with them. I felt like Rudolph with his red nose. They would not let me play any Reindeer Games. But now I am One of Them. We make it a point to rev our engines at gas stations, bar room parking lots and when we ride in front of nursing homes. We especially LOVE to rev the engine when we are backing into a parking spot. It makes folks think we have Reverse.

5. My loud pipes are a lot lighter than the quiet pipes. I lost 5 pounds per muffler. That weight is really low so a normal rider can't really feel it but since I am so awesome I can ride much faster than I could before. 10 pounds of weight loss from a bike that weighs 640 plus unloaded is huge! I could have gone on a diet, maybe done some exercise and lost more than 10 pounds myself but then my black leather vest with the patches wouldn't fit right anymore.

***Disclaimer*** The above monologue was Sarcasm. No one should feel insulted, slighted, offended or angry as a result of reading that sarcasm. That sarcasm was intended for entertainment purposes only. This sarcasm should not be quoted as fact nor should it be used as the basis for any decisions on the part of the reader. No animals were harmed during the typing of the sarcasm. The sarcasm does not necessarily reflect the views of this forum.
Every single time we pass a vehicle Pop's voice in my headset will say, "Son I really wish you could afford a set of these mufflers."

Take Dad's advice.
Redfish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

@Mopheadama I have to admit that I can afford a set of those mufflers and I did actually consider a set recently. The thing is that I am perfectly content with my factory exhaust in every way. If those mufflers were offered in nice solid black and were a lot cheaper I might consider them. There are just too many other directions I can spend my (wife's) money.

Just look how good my bike looks next to this pink POS with its expensive mufflers.

Myfjr likes this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Ever heard an FJR with no mufflers? Hey you could tame it a bit by going down to the local car muffler shop and having them bend up some tubing into straight pipes!!

Actually I have. I once rode an FJR with no mufflers. It had been crashed and the cans were pulled off. It was obnoxiously loud and surprisingly slow. The experts say you cannot feel any power change of less than 10%. If that's true then removing the mufflers knocked off more than 10% because the bike was a turd without its mufflers.

Did I mention that it was obnoxiously loud? That was miserable for me.

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
@Mopheadama I have to admit that I can afford a set of those mufflers and I did actually consider a set recently. The thing is that I am perfectly content with my factory exhaust in every way. If those mufflers were offered in nice solid black and were a lot cheaper I might consider them. There are just too many other directions I can spend my (wife's) money.

Just look how good my bike looks next to this pink POS with its expensive mufflers.

Yeah, I have one of those Pink POS. I did get rid of the hideous black wheels though. Hope you get to hear your Dad rag on you for many more years to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1784.jpg (365.0 KB, 21 views)
Redfish likes this.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopheadama View Post
Yeah, I have one of those Pink POS. I did get rid of the hideous black wheels though. Hope you get to hear your Dad rag on you for many more years to come.
Red, same here, and i’d Bet if your Pop’s heard those derogatory remarks about his beautiful red (the very fastest color) bike that he’ll stop riding the brakes so you can keep up ,,, like Mophead, I hope you get many more years of enjoying your dad, I know you appreciate being with him, I sure miss mine.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I just put yoshimura r77’s on my bike. They rook mahverous. The black carbon fiber looks especially good on the blacked out 2018, and that’s part of why I bought them. Sound? They are louder in the garage. But you’d be very hard pressed to tell any difference at all while riding. Low speed, high speed, low rpm, high rpm, pretty much the same as stock. This may change with more miles on them. Given that these are the same cans as Pops runs, I assume that yosh started packing these better, or that mine simply haven’t been run enough yet to allow for auditory vehicle-passing pleasure.
Redfish likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 08-09-2019 at 12:42 PM.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I just put yoshimura r77’s on my bike. They rook mahverous. The black carbon fiber looks especially good on the blacked out 2018, and that’s part of why I bought them. Sound? They are louder in the garage. But you’d be very hard pressed to tell any difference at all while riding. Low speed, high speed, low rpm, high rpm, pretty much the same as stock. This may change with one miles on them. Given that these are the same cans as Pops runs, I assume that yosh started packing these better, or that mine simply haven’t been run enough yet to allow for auditory vehicle-passing pleasure.

did you leave the baffles in or take them out ??
mine are still in on the factory yosh, but debating. thanks !!

16ES
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Baffles are in. My particular ones sound like the original cans except at idle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 08-09-2019 at 09:04 AM.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Baffles are in. My particular ones sound like the original cans except at idle.

There is not a lot of extra noise from Pop's bike. There is a different tone, a little more growl, but nothing offensive. I would not mind running these mufflers given a choice. There is just enough difference to make Pop happy but not enough to irritate even the most sensitive ears.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Took the baffles out last week. Louder but not bad in general. Raves from others who listened. I think it’d be too much drone for me for a long trip.

IBA# 69560

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page