TPMS and OE rubber stems - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:16 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I was fortunate enough to find a system that includes theft protection, doesn’t require tire removal for battery changes, doesn’t require a separate display or visible smartphone, doesn’t require me to be linked to or using my 595LM, and it monitors both temp and pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:55 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

TPMS and OE rubber stems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I was fortunate enough to find a system that includes theft protection, doesn’t require tire removal for battery changes, doesn’t require a separate display or visible smartphone, doesn’t require me to be linked to or using my 595LM, and it monitors both temp and pressure.
Bill,

Lucky guy!

Do tell . . . What is that system? Got a link?

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:00 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Fobo bike. Luck was all it was. I bought mine when they were brand new. Still using that set, albeit on a newer FJR.
Myfjr likes this.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:19 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I do my own tire changes and balancing so my TPMS only cost me 50 bucks for the unit and 20 bucks for the "T" valves. I was concerned about the extra weight of the T valves AND TPMS button, so I balanced the front wheel BEFORE I installed the tire. It took 3 ounces of weight to balance the wheel by itself and only another 1/2 ounce after the tire was installed. I don't remember how much weight the rear tire took, but the valve and the button are so much less, as a percentage, on the rear, I don't think it matters.

P.S. I checked the weights on the front tire and I was wrong, I put 2 ounces on {4 - 1/4 ounce weights on each side of the wheel, opposite the "T' valve and the TPMS button. And then put {2}- 1/4 ounce weights after I put the tire on.
OKFred likes this.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

Last edited by philharmonic; 06-23-2019 at 07:00 PM.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Didn't say the T-stem wasn't the best way to go, just questioned $25 to protect air seal gasket in TPMS sensor. Entire TPMS systems go for $52 on Amazon, my friend now has (3), one on each motorcycle after laughing at me for a year. Rather than deal with Yet Another Gizmo I bit the bullet buying two Garmin TPMS sensors for $70 each. Smaller than any other TPMS on the market. No problems having to take them off to put air in tires the past 50,000 miles. But I do keep spare batteries in my saddlebags.

The Best Solution would be a machined mount for TPMS in the wheel casting with external access for battery replacement. Something inside for theft deterrence yet outside for battery replacement without having to remove the tire.

Even better yet, I have heard there are a few "self winding" TPMS sensors which use a weight or something to generate power from wheel motion.
Great ideas!

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:37 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
I’ll add that the TPMS can be an expensive addition, for me I bought the $50 or so system from amazon that actually cost me another $650-$700 dollars since the dealer wanted $200 to install the valves and a new rear tire which didn’t include the price of the tire. Their service rate is $100/hr which I thought was very high, although they generously offered to install the new rear tire for free since they had to remove the old one anyway to install the TPMS, just P’d me off to the max so I bought a new Nomar tire changer to do it myself, expensive TPMS but well worth it overall, its paid for itself,,, in just lowered blood pressure if nothing else.
I would be looking for a new dealer. I had my T valves installed when I needed new tires anyway. They charged nothing extra to install the valves. And they have the best labor rate I have seen in quite a while to mount tires if you buy the tires from them.

When I first started dealing with them I asked the owner if they will install a tire that I bring in. She said they will at the higher (but still reasonable) rate, but asked if I would give them a chance to sell me the tires too. They have worked with me on price and have gotten within $8-10 of what I can buy them online. It does cost me a little more because of taxes, but I want to develop a good relationship with them. I have learned over my considerable years that relationships with with dealers can be very beneficial.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:53 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonic View Post
I do my own tire changes and balancing so my TPMS only cost me 50 bucks for the unit and 20 bucks for the "T" valves. I was concerned about the extra weight of the T valves AND TPMS button, so I balanced the front wheel BEFORE I installed the tire. It took 3 ounces of weight to balance the wheel by itself and only another 1/2 ounce after the tire was installed. I don't remember how much weight the rear tire took, but the valve and the button are so much less, as a percentage, on the rear, I don't think it matters.
3 ounces? Ouch! That is (12) 7g weights! My worst so far was the Shinko 016 rear with (7) 7g (1/4 oz) weights. In general I'm not seeing any pattern of heavy side vs valve stem and my Garmin TPMS. Weights don't go near the valve stem but often 90° around.

Thought to order more stick-on weights the other day and was surprised to find all the reasonably priced sources were out of stock of the Motion-Pro brand. Running low on black ones, still have a full box of gray. I might just search for some good double-sided foam tape because I kept my used weights.

Three years ago when I bought my No-Mar CH200 kit it included what was apparently their cheapest balancer. Mine is long gone from their catalog because it was pathetic. No 2 of the 4 bearings were in the same plane or parallel to another. Shoulder screws affixed to light stamped steel with a nut cocked in the hole. The stamped steel was bowed. And left arm twisted with respect to right. Drilled and tapped holes in a couple 1/4" aluminum scraps, then attached to the stand. This holds 2 bearings in same plane. Then before use a carpenter's square helps me tweak the arms so the left and right bearings are parallel. It gets the job done but the bearings are starting to need attention as sometimes the wheel bearings turn freer. Is good enough to determine whether the wheel needs that last 7g weight or not. And sometimes the right solution is two 7g weights 6" apart because immediately adjacent is too much.

Decided I had enough of that and ordered a Marc Parnes balancer. Haven't balanced a wheel yet, but am impressed. Marc's cones have thumb screws which are an obvious imbalance. So what, just put the thumbscrews 180° apart. My old balancer wouldn't have noticed the thumbscrews only an inch radius from the axle center but just playing on the kitchen table Marc's does! If they are closer than 120° then the heavy side goes down. Thats sensitive!
philharmonic likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Here is a temporary fix (Honda forum by Deano) to use the TPMS on rubber stems, that (I think) should ONLY be used until the next tire change, when the proper metal stem should be installed. Interesting fix but not sure how safe it is.

https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/ti...e-stems-2.html

FOBO also makes "tire stem stabilizer" that will do the same thing, prevent the stem from flexing caused due to the "heavy" TPMS transmiter cap.

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOACCS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170814_154911529.jpg (87.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: gif stabilizer1.gif (831.9 KB, 11 views)
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

I am glad I saw this thread. I just bought my 2014 and put the Fobo system on it. Went out and looked at my valve stems and both are bent. I will take the Fobo off until I change tires, which will be about 3k more miles and change to the metal valve stem

Jerry Holland
2014 FJR1300ES

2013 Moto Guzzi Griso

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page