• 1 Post By saturnnights
  • 2 Post By passx
  • 1 Post By dravnx
  • 1 Post By N4HHE

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Had to replace my rear tire

I don't know if maybe I jinxed myself with talk about tires, but I wound up with a gigantic screw stuck into my rear tire and had to replace it today. I called around and only one dealer even stocked my size tire, so I just went with the best that they had in stock - a Dunlop Sportmax Q3 Plus.
After it was installed, I put about seventy-five miles on it, and in all honesty, I can't tell a difference between that and the original. The original had only about nine-hundred miles on it, so it was practically new. I'm taking a short trip this weekend and will add another four-hundred or so miles to it, so I'll report back in a couple of days.

2018 MT-09
2018 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

Was the tire damaged in a way that precluded a plug repair? I know some say for emergency roadside repair to get you to where you can replace the tire...but then again, lots of guys, me included, feel otherwise(if the plug is installed correctly).
Mr_Ed and N4HHE like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammieboy View Post
Was the tire damaged in a way that precluded a plug repair? I know some say for emergency roadside repair to get you to where you can replace the tire...but then again, lots of guys, me included, feel otherwise(if the plug is installed correctly).

I can't say for certain... But two dealerships that I called said that they don't do plugs. And to be honest, I would never feel comfortable knowing that my tire had a plug in it, so I opted for a new tire. I know that now I can just ride and that's one less thing that will ever be lurking in the back of my brain
Yammieboy likes this.

2018 MT-09
2018 FJR1300A

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnnights View Post
I can't say for certain... But two dealerships that I called said that they don't do plugs. And to be honest, I would never feel comfortable knowing that my tire had a plug in it, so I opted for a new tire. I know that now I can just ride and that's one less thing that will ever be lurking in the back of my brain
Saturn, really the proper “permanent” repair would be to dismount the tire and put a patch on the inside, plugs were always meant to be a temporary repair, that said many have ran properly installed plugs until the tire was worn out w/o issue. The other thing about it is that I don’t know of a single dealer/shop that will plug or patch a bike tire under the guise of liability.

They patch/plug car tires all the time but it is a bit difficult to fall off a car.

Not so sure that it’s just not an excuse to sell more tires, so there’s my political/personal/satirical/smartazz comment for today.
Yammieboy and saturnnights like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Not so sure that it’s just not an excuse to sell more tires, so there’s my political/personal/satirical/smartazz comment for today.

Well, I can't really blame them because I called and asked if they'd sell me a new tire - they were just doing what I wanted. In the future, if I have another flat, I may ask about having it patched, though maybe not. There was this little thought in the back of my head, from all of the tire conversations I see here, that sort-of made me decide to just replace the original tire. Curiosity about the OEM vs. a new tire, I suppose? Now I can answer for myself if I believe there's a real difference!

2018 MT-09
2018 FJR1300A
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

Very few dealerships will patch a tire. It's not worth the liability. You might find an independent who will patch a tire.
passx likes this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
smiles ÷ miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:55 PM
FJR Top Gun

I have no idea about dealers in your area but the FJR uses the same tire as 90% of the Japanese street bikes made. Stores in my area stock several brands. Heck even the shop by me that specializes in dirt bikes stocks some 180/55/17 street tires.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:15 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnnights View Post
Why should a dealer repair the tire when they can sell you a new one for $200-$300?

Find it odd only one dealer had 180/55-17 tires because nearly half the non-Harley streetbikes on the road use that tire.
passx likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
I have no idea about dealers in your area but the FJR uses the same tire as 90% of the Japanese street bikes made. Stores in my area stock several brands. Heck even the shop by me that specializes in dirt bikes stocks some 180/55/17 street tires.
Well, the poser/cruisers don’t wear that tire. But most purporting sport or touring characteristics do.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page