Crash cages - limited options? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jayc71
  • 2 Post By lansmank

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Question Crash cages - limited options?

I've decided that within the next few weeks, I am going to purchase crash cages for my 2018 FJR. I've been reading all that I can find and it seems that my choices really boil down to T-Rex or R-Gaza. It doesn't look like Canyon Cages are around anymore? If there are any other nice brand options that I've somehow missed, please let me know. If not, then the next step is to decide which of the two to purchase, or maybe a combination of them, as in one for the engine and one for the saddlebags?

Thanks!

2018 MT-09
2018 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:10 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I've got a '18A coming and also have been looking. You're right, those are the only 2 options besides sliders only.

Used CC guards do come up sometimes, but have to be quick. I think I'm going with the R-Gaza police version, they seem about the cleanest design - something I really liked about CC guards! I bought a set of those for my Gen II. I know the rears will work on the new bike, but front is different.

Good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I ordered the R-Garza engine and saddlebag guards because that's about all I could find. Haven't arrived yet, I'll let you know what I think when they show up in a week or so.
saturnnights likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnnights View Post
I've decided that within the next few weeks, I am going to purchase crash cages for my 2018 FJR. I've been reading all that I can find and it seems that my choices really boil down to T-Rex or R-Gaza. It doesn't look like Canyon Cages are around anymore? If there are any other nice brand options that I've somehow missed, please let me know. If not, then the next step is to decide which of the two to purchase, or maybe a combination of them, as in one for the engine and one for the saddlebags?

Thanks!
Saturn here is my TRex post, they are pricey but nice fit and quality product (don't know much about R-Gaza):

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-...rs-guards.html

and in the pics below, after I added some LED aux lights and Hwy pegs:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190605_193227_1559830775055.jpg (303.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190605_193741_1559830795602.jpg (237.0 KB, 63 views)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Saturn here is my TRex post, they are pricey but nice fit and quality product (don't know much about R-Gaza):

Those do look nice!

2018 MT-09
2018 FJR1300A
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I've got the T-Rex case guards and the R Gaza bag guards. The finish on the R Gaza pieces is similar or identical to the T-Rex, and they fit just as well. The mounting hardware is not quite as nice.

The T-Rexes are joined with fairly nice MIG welds. The R Gazas apparently use stick welding, well-done, but thicker and cruder-looking. Also, they don't have the sacrificial, replaceable strip of metal the T-Rexes have.

On the bike, the differences aren't really noticeable, and, besides the metal strip, seem functionally identical.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:01 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
I just put on the R Gaza bars. Purchased the YCCS model, which I was told is better adapted to mounting highway pegs on. I had absolutely no problem with the vendor and communication was surprisingly good. I know these are coming from Russia, so I was expecting shipping to take quite a while, but I received them in the mail almost a month before the due date.

I had my mechanic install the set and all four bars were completed within a couple of hours. I'm not a mechanical genius, but I'm willing to bet that bolting these on isn't overly complicated.

Purchased the saddle bag bars as well. I'm very happy with the complete set and have more peace of mind knowing that the next time I drop this thing, that I won't be causing big damage to all the plastic...

Good luck with your choice!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190607_113845.jpg (354.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20190607_113854.jpg (302.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20190607_113905.jpg (335.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20190607_113912.jpg (320.5 KB, 28 views)

2015 FJR1300ES
2007 M109R Boulevard
2007 VT750DC Shadow
---20 Year Gap For Kids---
1982 R65 BMW
1984 XL500R
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:37 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansmank View Post
I just put on the R Gaza bars. Purchased the YCCS model, which I was told is better adapted to mounting highway pegs on. I had absolutely no problem with the vendor and communication was surprisingly good. I know these are coming from Russia, so I was expecting shipping to take quite a while, but I received them in the mail almost a month before the due date.

I had my mechanic install the set and all four bars were completed within a couple of hours. I'm not a mechanical genius, but I'm willing to bet that bolting these on isn't overly complicated.

Purchased the saddle bag bars as well. I'm very happy with the complete set and have more peace of mind knowing that the next time I drop this thing, that I won't be causing big damage to all the plastic...

Good luck with your choice!!
Thanks for this post, I ordered and am about a week away from receiving my R Gaza bars sent all the way from Russia. The photos look I made a good decision. I think these look as nice as cages can look on a bike.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:57 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
These are all available through the Amazon portal. No, it doesn't qualify for prime, but the Amazon refund is there if it is needed.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page